Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2006, 2:05 pm

I feel almost as misunderstood here at AspieWorld as I do in NTland. Not quite, but almost. So, I’m going to write a little more about myself here, and I’ll try real hard to keep my tongue out of my cheek.
People who know me seem to consider me a very wise man. I’m open, honest, sincere, sometimes to a fault, (all qualities I understand women find desirable) and sometimes more than a little naïve. I’m very familiar with the writings of the New Testament, The Tao Te Ching, Ram Dass’ Be Here Now and many other texts from humanity’s rich spiritual history. I’m am conversant in the principles of Buddhist and Jungian psychology. My parents and others recognized at an early age that I possessed, or was possessed by, this somewhat uncommon spiritual streak. I try to practice Christian values without claiming to be Christian which is better than the other way around. I’m not concerned with things like heaven or hell. I think what happens to us before we are born and after we die is up to god and what happens to us in between is up to us. I don't believe that a creator god exists outside of us, I believe that there was a co-arising of god and the universe. I do believe in a creator god that exists inside of us, creating this reality moment to moment, that man and god are not separate, that man and god are one. As to the metaphysical nature of that reality, I tend to believe as the Buddhists believe, but when asked, "are you Buddhist?" I say, "I wouldn't go that far." (A little Zen humor there)
On the other hand, I am a man with lusty appetites for food, sex, and beer. I do not deny this aspect of my being. I believe that repression leads to obsession. Only when we acknowledge those base impulses within ourselves do we have any chance of responding to them consciously instead of reacting to them mindlessly. I love to overeat, and until recently I never seemed to gain weight, but the years of doing so have led to Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disorder and I really need to be more mindful of that. And, as I’m sure you’ve heard by now, I have a very healthy libido, and, in my opinion, a good positive healthy joyful attitude towards sex. But it’s not just sex. According to my Personality Profile at Yahoo!, I’m a “Romantic,” which means I want a connection on all levels, mental, physical, emotional, spiritual. I joke that I could have been having a lot more sex when I was a kid if I hadn’t been looking so hard for an intimate relationship. It’s not just men who experience a fear of intimacy. Also, I never want to do anything, or have a woman do anything, that would make her feel uncomfortable. I regret the times in the past when my behavior has made women uncomfortable, but young men will be young men. And I have no interest in (actually) having sex with a woman who does not want to have sex with me. Her interest and desire is one of my biggest turn-ons. And beer? What can I say? All things in moderation.
Yahoo! Personals says I'm an "Individualist." "Individualists stand out for their imaginative, curious, shrewd qualities. They're filled with surprises and don't do things simply to please others. Not everyone appreciates these true originals.”
I think it’s grand that people are making fun of me. Yes, I like the attention, but I’m also the first to say, “…if they can’t take a joke.” I don’t really mean it; I’m just the first to say it. I apologize if I’ve hurt or offended anyone’s feelings. I am always well intentioned. It’s true that there are some dirty old men out there, but there are some nice, wise old men too. You might be getting to know one of them right now. Not that I’m old mind you.

(Solidess – Only 670 words. That’s not a long post. Just fills one page in my word processor at 12 pt.) ; )

- Emerson

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2006, 2:12 pm

:jester: :jester:

Solidess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2006, 2:52 pm

Great post.

I've come to realise after reading this, that we have alot in common, just not necessarily as strongly. I'm not quite as spiritually connected or interested as you seem to be, but I have been embracing this knowledge in the last several years, and as long as its really "down to earth", that is, "spirituality for dummies" so that I can actually UNDERSTAND what I'm reading and use it to my advantage, then I find it very interesting and always up for learning more.

I as well share your concern with 'not quite fitting in even with AS people'. I mean, I haven't yet done anything particularly noticable, attention getting, or controversial as you have, so I've sort of slipped through the cracks in a way, but that's ok. I feel a bit out of place in that I am high functioning AS and don't share the same types of obsessions or all the same traits as alot of people, yet I am not NT enough to be an 'outsider' either. I am something in the middle. But then again, AS can come in different strengths and forms, there is no 'set type'. No two people are exactly alike and why would this be any different for AS individuals?

Well Mark, I've not only enjoyed your attention, compliments and insights in messenger, but also your posts here. You are certainly a kind and wise person and I hope you stay here at Wrong Planet. I plan on doing so too, though I don't always feel like posting every day. Remember, if certain topics are causing some problems, step away from those and try other topics and see what happens. I remember at one forum, I think I was there for a whole 2 years with no problems at all, everything was going great. And then one day I spoke my mind about something that really bothered me morally, and some people were practically mocking me and making me sound like the 'wrong' one, and I was really angry and offended. I was really surprised. But sometimes honesty and protesting isn't always warm welcomed, so you have to be prepared for that.

Just keep posting, keeping in mind of the rules and to be polite to others, and you do no harm. If you see a user start trouble, or, you just don't like what you read, you could respond to it, or you could just ignore it. It's your choice.

Have fun, and try not to let some people get you down. You won't be able to get along with everybody, no matter where you go. As you said, AS actually can have many similarities to NTs in some ways, I mean, we are still humans. Or humanoid things atleast. So its impossible to please everyone, but that's ok.

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2006, 5:17 pm

My favourite quote:

"Everything in moderation, including moderation." - Me, 2006.

MrMark, I understand you a lot better now. Thank you.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

23 Nov 2006, 7:16 pm

Haha! JJ joined Wrong Planet on my 16th birthday!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 4:54 am

I enjoyed reading your post MrMark, I think maybe it was written for a reason that I'm unaware of, being a bit of an outsider here too, as Solidess also feels. I've come to accept that really and maybe it is part of the whole AS thing...I tend to miss 'undercurrents' that happen at forums, never quite getting the whole picture. :roll:
Anyway, I hope you aren't thinking of leaving. There is a place for everyone here and the forum would be poorer without your interesting posts.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 7:20 am

For background, I refer you to The Aspie Women Photo Calendar. It's long but interesting. A few people were absolutely convinced that I was a pervert and a creep, projecting the ugly parts of their deep subconscious onto me. Eventually the bullies won. People who expressed interest in facilitating the project backed away due to the controversy.

- Emerson

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 8:00 am

Ah right, thanks, now I understand. Much heat generated with that one then, pity I missed it, I hadn't joined then.
Projections abound on a forum of course but with Apollo there must always be Dionysos, for balance. Sometimes we poke a wasps nest with a stick to see what happens? :lol:

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 8:27 am

Oh cool, someone who understands that the ancient gods represent the archetypes of the human psyche! I wish you were closer and less married!

- Emerson

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 12:47 pm

Well, I have been reading Jung for a few years now, but he's certainly not an easy read. I have been struggling on and off with Aion. Hollis I like though, he makes Jung easier to understand, and John Sanford is another favourite of the Jungian school.

Dionysos is an interesting archetype, which brings with it the feeling of dismemberment. And how to 'reconnect' the scattered pieces is my work at the moment.

Very nice to meet a Jungian, (but I don't think you would enjoy being married to a maenad, :lol: )

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 1:00 pm

:lol:

I didn't get Jung, and I didn't get Jung, and I didn't get Jung. A Buddhist priest explained it to me in Buddhist terms, which I did understand, before I got it.

- Emerson

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 2:28 pm

Enjoyed the post very much MrMark..

I loved reading Jung, the anima/animus thing helped me at a time when I was confused about how passionate and obsessive I was towards a certain spiritual goal, when those around me were only focused on each other. Nietzche then Freud then Jung was the progression I took. I learnt from buddhism, however I'd already found a self-reflective method of clearing my mind through rhythym and certain stimulus.

I've read 2 jung books, I'm onto my third presently..

However a book on infinity in maths took my attention.

The thing that intrigues me, is trying to combine relativity, and calculus, psychoanalysis, all in relation to my perception of the world.

Whatever it means Mark, you've offered some particularly insightful comments on the forums, and your interjection came sometimes in time to stop some serious ego-battles.