Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 12:45 am

poppyfields wrote:
My other special interest is grocery shopping. So I hate when people say find a career in your special interest. So what if I know how much everything costs, where it is, read the ads weekly and make in-depth grocery lists? It isn't like working at a grocery store would be a good fit for me.

Me too. My special interest is a musical group. I mean, I really enjoy them, but, like, how am I going to get a job with that? I can't join the band, I can't become a roadie for the band. At least I have some other interests as well.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 1:05 am

All of my life I've been told I was smart, intelligent, and genius. But, my areas of interest are typically not widely understood by neurotypicals. Plus, I can go into great detail about my interests, that being electronics and technology, and that makes me sound intelligent. Plus, Aspies can use vocabulary in a way that it makes them sound intelligent. But truthfully, I'm only smart and intelligent with my interests and how things work, and very dumb when it comes to understanding gossip and the more subtle social cues. I'm almost certain I have an average IQ.

But it all depends on our special interests. For me, I'm very smart when it comes to my special interest. It just so happens it's complex enough where most neurotypicals think you have to be "smart" to understand it. I love electronics, and being my special interest, most neurotypicals call me intelligent and even genius, but I still have a lot to learn.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 9:03 pm

For one thing, I am taking an extra semester of high school, or at least, that's what other people want. I think that people who take an extra semester of high school aren't that smart, so see? Got it?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 9:07 pm

I'm dumber than a box of rocks.

No, you need not be a genius to be an Aspie. 8)

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2011, 9:10 pm

Does it matter if you're smart if being smart isn't really doing anything for you to improve your life? The assumption tends to be that a higher IQ must equate automatically to an easier time of it. I question whether that's really true.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 7:33 am

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Ikonovich wrote:
Grades are a very poor indicator of intelligence.

What is?

army psych. lewis terman wrote about gifted [highly intelligent and talented] folk in his seminal book, "the gifted." a large public library ought to have a copy. this book describes intelligent people.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 5:36 pm

Ikonovich wrote:
ocdgirl123 wrote:
Ikonovich wrote:
ocdgirl123 wrote:
Ikonovich wrote:
Grades are a very poor indicator of intelligence.

What is?

What is what?

A good indicator of intelligence.

Another weird thing about this is that people tell me I'm smart. People think I am good at math when they have only known me for like, 5 minutes for some reason.

IQ tests are the standard, although they have their flaws. There is more than one type of intelligence. If people consider you intelligent after just a few minutes of knowing you, perhaps you have high linguistic intelligence, and by your enunciation and grammar they have decided that you're clever.

Sometimes it's just how a person appears, lots of subtle things. Interestingly many of the stereotypes of the "intelligent nerd" and the "intellectually disabled person" are the same stereotypes, the same appearances, mannerisms, etc. because both are partly derived from autistic people. So sometimes all you have to do is be autistic, and then do something that un-associates you with being intellectually disabled (in people's heads), and people will suddenly see you as incredibly inteliligent regardless of your cognitive skills. I even know intellectually disabled autistic people who have this happen to them if they just do something like type on a computer and then people think "oh an intellectually disabled person could never do that" which is far from the truth, so then they associate unconsciously the mannerisms and appearance with "intelligent nerd" and make that conclusion.

In my case, most people tend to see me as profoundly intellectually disabled or as some kind of genius. (Note that I don't think intellectual disability and intelligence cannot go together, I'm just talking what most people think.) I once had a medical professional in a hospital just spend a few minutes with me and tell someone else in my hearing that I had the cognitive capacity of an infant. Other people insist I have all kinds of intellectual skills I actually lack.

Very few people can see me as I am, which is someone with extremely varied cognitive capacity, who has a few really good skills (but that aren't in the areas people think) and a lot of really massive deficits in various cognitive areas people can't imagine a person having deficits let alone a person who can pass as having good language sometimes (even if the language is coming from a really weird place for language to come from). Most people just see one tiny bit of me and fill in the rest of the blanks with some ridiculous image that has nothing to do with who I am.