Does anyone HATE classrooms with computers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Snivy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Mar 2011, 12:39 am

When it comes to computer oriented class rooms, I can't focus on my schoolwork, despite really wanting to. I'm always on a forum, I'm always reading about the latest happenings in a game community. I'm always watching youtube videos. I'm always on MSN messenger talking to my WoW friends. I have Adderol, and at a very powerful dose, but it doesn't seem to help at all.

I wasn't used to the class setting that was given to me at tech school. I only learn by lectures. Teacher gave me a schedule to know what time to do what assignments, which was working to an extent, but then I realized my issue wasn't anything to do with a lack of structure, it's the goddamn computer.

I can't not get sidetracked. I just can't help it. And 90% of the time, it's usually reading about my "interests". which is why I want to get rid of my special interests in the first place. It's always about this game I play. I'm always on the forums, and not doing my work. I can't seem to stop, and it's very frustrating for me.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 12:52 am

I hadn't heard of this, but it sounds like the sort of thing any fool would have the sense not to do... give students unlimited computer access in class. I thought that was the sort of thing they'd avoid at all costs. It's like the opposite of what teachers usually do.

The only computer use I'd heard of in anything but an actual computer class is done by the teacher. There are these little hand held dealies the students can use to respond sometimes, though my daughter's class got theirs taken away after the teacher showed them a picture of a geisha and one of the kids responded with "clown."

For what it's worth, and I'm sure it's harder for you than for me if you're having this much trouble, but I've found that the only way to stop reading about your special interests is just not to start. It may be a nonstop effort to not start, but things like that do get easier over time even if they never actually get easy. Forums are especially insidious because they just keep going and there's masses of things to read and comment on. I usually have to promise myself a reward later to help with things like this... just hold out a little longer, deal with this irritation a little longer, and when you get home you can just zone out in front of the computer... something like that.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

rabbit90
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2011, 2:22 am

Anope! Coz that usually meant we were going to GO ON the computers, which was always enjoyable. Meant I could just sit listening to music looking up things I liked whilst doing school work.

The buzzing that sometimes comes from computers can be annoying a little bit, but thankfully we didnt have sh***y computers at school.

billypony

17 Mar 2011, 12:19 pm

yea well i have had bad experiences with computers deleting my coursework, so i dont tend to like them :P i handwrite most things. in the classes where it was all on the computer, i had a serious talk with my tutors and said that i needed to sit at a desk and work from a book. most teachers understood, and it wasnt a problem, but one teacher said i was rude, stubborn, and unteachable. i would point out this was a maths class. how many maths classes do you have to do the entire year on the computer? maths! not ict, maths! so he refused to teach me, and i did my maths gcse on my own. :)

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2011, 4:37 pm

when you are locked in a rubber cell, you never gain the power of will!

thing is, you're asked to do (most likely) boring work, but you know where to go for what you find enjoyable. Being able to prioritize fun vs. work is part of growing up in the information age :)

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 3:45 am

I like computers in classrooms.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 6:51 am

I use my laptop for all my college work, they are indispensable

Member of the WP Strident Atheists