Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

veryneutralusername
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2011, 12:38 pm

I'm not sure if this is an Aspie thing, or just a me thing, but I seem to develop small obsessions very easily. This is particularly troublesome if I start texting/ emailing somebody new. I will check ridiculously frequently if they have messaged me back. It's frustrating. It's like I need to check even though I know they won't have. I form obsessive attatchments to people too, so for example, if a new person doesn't talk to me in a while, I will send, what I have been told, is too many texts to them. Apparently I push people away like this. I don't know how to stop this behaviour. Does anyone else experience this?

I obess in a similar manner over other things too, not just people, but the people one seems to be the most troubling as other people are affected by this behaviour. With other obsession, it usually just affects me, distracting me from what I should be doing ot what I'm obsessing over, constantly.

Any similar experiences? Any tips on being aware of this behaviour (sometimes I don't know what I'm doing is innappropriate)? And any ideas how I can just stop obsessing?

Thanks
V.N.U.N

tomboywriter101
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: In my writing, where things are the way I want them

12 Mar 2011, 12:53 pm

I have this problem as well, except with people. It's happening with a friend of mine right now.

I always check iChat to see if my friend is on, even though I know she isn't. I base some of my main characters in my stories after her. It's creepy, but I don't know how to stop.

Agree: 4,6,13,16,18,19,20,22,39,41,45: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,10,11,14,17,27,30,32,36,38,44,47,48,49: 1 point
Score: 26

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2011, 12:57 pm

I do that to, espically with text and emails not being replied to.

Its hard I know, I take it very perosnally but I just get told that people are 'just busy' and don't allways have time to reply as quickly as they, or I, would like.

Sorry thats probably not much help as I'm as bad.

Preharps an NT could answers this, if I text someone asking a question, how long should I leave it before chasing a reply?

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2011, 11:43 am

Jacs wrote:
I do that to, espically with text and emails not being replied to.

Its hard I know, I take it very perosnally but I just get told that people are 'just busy' and don't allways have time to reply as quickly as they, or I, would like.

Sorry thats probably not much help as I'm as bad.

Preharps an NT could answers this, if I text someone asking a question, how long should I leave it before chasing a reply?

BUMP

FunnyFairytale
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2011, 4:16 pm

Try to ask yourself WHY you are doing it.

I obsess over things, subjects, etc..not people BUT if someone isnt communicating their lack of interest with me clearly or in other ways communicating with me how they would like to be communicate with, then I may not automatically understand and I will sometimes cross the line due to lack of understanding.However, I stop this once the message is clear to me.

Could that be what you are experiencing?

and also, Im not sure a " dont do that" would help me much either.I am more likely to ask" why?" which is probably equally annoying, but its because I honestly want to understand why and what I did wrong.

veryneutralusername
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Mar 2011, 7:39 am

Thank for your replies :).
I think I might have been having a particularly obsessive few days, so that didn't help! Does this happen with anyone else?

Jacs, thanks for the advice. I asked an NT friend how long to wait before chasing a reply. It was a good idea on your part, but to be fair, her answer was pretty ambiguous. "It depends what you are talking about and how well you know the person".

FunnyFairytale- I think what you're saying may be associated with the problem- maybe because I'm not sure how long to wait/ what's appropriate, I'm expecting too much and worrying about it. So maybe that's why!

Anyway, thanks again.
I just wish there was some way to curb my obsessive tendancies- it can get a little annoying!
V.N.U.N

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2011, 8:16 am

veryneutralusername wrote:
Thank for your replies :).
I think I might have been having a particularly obsessive few days, so that didn't help! Does this happen with anyone else?

Jacs, thanks for the advice. I asked an NT friend how long to wait before chasing a reply. It was a good idea on your part, but to be fair, her answer was pretty ambiguous. "It depends what you are talking about and how well you know the person".

FunnyFairytale- I think what you're saying may be associated with the problem- maybe because I'm not sure how long to wait/ what's appropriate, I'm expecting too much and worrying about it. So maybe that's why!

Anyway, thanks again.
I just wish there was some way to curb my obsessive tendancies- it can get a little annoying!
V.N.U.N

I'm the same, so you are not alone!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:15 am

The thing that helps me is that I think about what a freak my family members thought I was for having obsessions and showing them before I moved out on my own. That stops me from obsessing.