did anyone else use to breathe weirdly

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

manlyadam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2011, 4:11 pm

I used to breathe in whilst looking at people I liked and out at people I disliked, I can still do it now a bit but when I was young I was required to do so, now it isn't on my mind all the time and I can ignore it much more when it surfaces. It felt wrong to breathe in whilst looking at someone I disliked even if they were far away or even if they were on the TV.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 4:14 pm

Hmm, that is indeed strange.

For many years when I was younger, I coughed ALL the time, every single day, even though I wasn't sick. Sometimes I still cough for no reason, I wonder if it's a tic or something. :?:

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 4:53 pm

manlyadam wrote:
I used to breathe in whilst looking at people I liked and out at people I disliked, I can still do it now a bit but when I was young I was required to do so, now it isn't on my mind all the time and I can ignore it much more when it surfaces. It felt wrong to breathe in whilst looking at someone I disliked even if they were far away or even if they were on the TV.

---
Have noticed occasionally that I might want to mouth breathe vs breathe through the nose. On extremely, extremely rare occasions have noticed some very minor, involuntary breath-holding moments. Generally speaking, I do not feel that I can naturally hold my breath voluntarily for as long as many other people.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 4:57 pm

That sounds almost like an OCD thing.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 5:00 pm

pgd wrote:
On extremely, extremely rare occasions have noticed some very minor, involuntary breath-holding moments. Generally speaking, I do not feel that I can naturally hold my breath voluntarily for as long as many other people.

I've noticed that quite often I hold my breath involuntarily, for no reason... no idea why. :?

manlyadam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2011, 8:22 pm

It must be more of an OCD thing then, I don't suffer from OCD at all but I just have one or two weird OCD type things I do like I have to split all words in half in my head "word" is "wo" then "rd" and "words" is "wo, half an r" then "half an r, ds". I seem to have grown out of these kind of things a lot, I still do them a bit but nowhere near as much.

I just wanted to see if anyone out there does any of the things I think are most weird about myself but I guess I'm more of a unique mental patient than I thought. It's never been a problem or bothered me though.

manlyadam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2011, 8:26 pm

dunbots wrote:
pgd wrote:
On extremely, extremely rare occasions have noticed some very minor, involuntary breath-holding moments. Generally speaking, I do not feel that I can naturally hold my breath voluntarily for as long as many other people.

I've noticed that quite often I hold my breath involuntarily, for no reason... no idea why. :?

Once when I was quite young my Dad was telling me off and he put his face right up to mine and forced me to look at him so I held my breath for a long time whilst he ranted at me then looked at the floor to gasp for air, maybe there is something you don't like around when you hold your breath?

Tiffinity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2011, 1:06 am

manlyadam wrote:
It must be more of an OCD thing then, I don't suffer from OCD at all but I just have one or two weird OCD type things I do like I have to split all words in half in my head "word" is "wo" then "rd" and "words" is "wo, half an r" then "half an r, ds". I seem to have grown out of these kind of things a lot, I still do them a bit but nowhere near as much.

I just wanted to see if anyone out there does any of the things I think are most weird about myself but I guess I'm more of a unique mental patient than I thought. It's never been a problem or bothered me though.

I have OCD and do lots of weird and wonderful counting etc. but my sister does the same sort of thing as you and she's not diagnosed with anything but she has to split her sentences when she talks. She's tried explaining it to me but I just don't get it but it might account for why she talks so slowly. I told her I thought it was a form of OCD but I'd never heard of anyone else doing anything similar but now I can tell her she's not alone. :)

Tiffinity.