Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Trimoxie
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2011, 7:28 pm

I have gilles de la tourette and am going to live by myself for the first time in my life. I'm going to live in a 1 bedroom modern apartment.
The walls are well insulated and the ground is concrete. However I can't shake the thought that people are going to hear me.
Because I have quite loud vocal tics, most of them are swearing/cursing or simply yelling/screaming.
At the same time, I can't afford a (semi-) detached house and REALLY can't live with my parents either so this is the best I can get.

I also have trouble sleeping so I'm really worried that the nights are going to be awful, walls around me, every1 asleep while getting the urge to scream.
What do you guys suggest for me to do? I know the law protects me but I'm very worried about this. How should I go about handling this?
Someone adviced me to ask the landlord to make an announcement for me so people will be more understanding, but the majority said that I should not tell any1 until someone complains about it.
I am just wondering what your opinions are and if you have any tips/advice.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:40 am

i hope it is at least a corner ground-floor unit facing traffic, so that whatever sounds leak out are mixed with traffic noises and less obvious. i also have tourettes but i am out in the country in a tin can surrounded by trees, so my noises are not so obvious. in your country, are there not also cheap mobile homes out in the woods that one could live in?
btw, bienvenue aux wrong planet :)

eudaimonia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2011, 8:43 pm

Ehh, from my experience with apartment living, I wouldn't worry so much about making screaming or making noise at night. Chances are you won't be the only one, especially if there are any couples living nearby to you.

Trimoxie
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2011, 3:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i hope it is at least a corner ground-floor unit facing traffic, so that whatever sounds leak out are mixed with traffic noises and less obvious. i also have tourettes but i am out in the country in a tin can surrounded by trees, so my noises are not so obvious. in your country, are there not also cheap mobile homes out in the woods that one could live in?

Is that really possible? A mobile home? I am really considering it. If you really live in one, please let me know everything there's to know in order to live in 1. Like, water/electricity system, legal factors (I still need to sign up for residentship in UK where I'm going to live, but it's easy if I got a property, not sure with a mobile home though).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 7:09 pm

Trimoxie wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Is that really possible? A mobile home? I am really considering it. If you really live in one, please let me know everything there's to know in order to live in 1. Like, water/electricity system, legal factors (I still need to sign up for residentship in UK where I'm going to live, but it's easy if I got a property, not sure with a mobile home though).

sorry, i can only tell you what i had to do as an american in america. i don't know what things are like in the UK. in america, lots of poor folk live in mobiles, that is why snobs over here call us "trailer trash." most mobiles are in rental parks though mine is on its own land, primarily because i live so far away from civilization.