Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 685

13 Mar 2011, 6:42 am

holy s*** man. and i thought eraserhead was a big head trip..

alien conspiracy, statement about homosexuality, bug powder hallucinations, or just plain ambiguity? the imagery sure is bizzare. maybe even disturbing, like my dad said...... i love when bill first sees the giant talking insect - and his exterior doesn't even crack by a millimeter. and then when he leans back to grab his shoe and commit violence upon the insect... something about the leaning back to grab the shoe....weird stuff :) for some reason, that's what stuck out in my mind. i enjoyed the whole thing too.



rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 685

13 Mar 2011, 6:46 am

whoops wrong section. just asked TallyMan to move it to the correct location



graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Aug 2010
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 651
Location: texas

13 Mar 2011, 1:45 pm

one of my favorites. like all movies about alienation, i can read it more specifically about myself (e.g. Carnival of Souls) but not to limit it to that.
atmosphere, art direction, the performances & the wit of the dialogue all set it apart from even good art movies.
i would just cavil that it's not much like the book at all...


_________________
"I have always found that Angels have the vanity
to speak of themselves as the only wise; this they
do with a confident insolence sprouting from systematic
reasoning." --William Blake


Zen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,868

13 Mar 2011, 2:12 pm

Of course! I owned Naked Lunch on VHS, but gave it away because I no longer had a VCR. But... that was so long ago, I've forgotten too much of it to comment on it. :oops:



Moog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,671
Location: Untied Kingdom

13 Mar 2011, 2:13 pm

Since you're talking about the movie, I think I'll put this in the TV and movies section.


_________________
Not currently a moderator


tb86
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Sep 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,794
Location: South Wales

13 Mar 2011, 4:35 pm

I have never seen this film or know what it's about but in an episode of The Simpsons, Bart gets a fake I.D and he takes Nelson and Milhouse to see this film which is rated R. When they come out Nelson says "I can think of at least 2 things wrong with that sign".



Moog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,671
Location: Untied Kingdom

13 Mar 2011, 4:37 pm

tb86 wrote:
I have never seen this film or know what it's about but in an episode of The Simpsons, Bart gets a fake I.D and he takes Nelson and Milhouse to see this film which is rated R. When they come out Nelson says "I can think of at least 2 things wrong with that sign".


I love that joke! It always cracks me up. The delivery is perfect.


_________________
Not currently a moderator


Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,299

13 Mar 2011, 4:51 pm

tb86 wrote:
I have never seen this film or know what it's about but in an episode of The Simpsons, Bart gets a fake I.D and he takes Nelson and Milhouse to see this film which is rated R. When they come out Nelson says "I can think of at least 2 things wrong with that sign".


Ahaha, that is the very first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread. :lol:



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,793
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

14 Mar 2011, 1:25 am

Zen wrote:
Of course! I owned Naked Lunch on VHS, but gave it away because I no longer had a VCR. But... that was so long ago, I've forgotten too much of it to comment on it. :oops:


Same with me!
Well, I still have the movie on video, but I don't own a VCR anymore.
And yes the movie is indeed a head trip. I've also read the novel Naked Lunch, by the late William S. Burroughs. To say that the book was unfilmable is an understatement. Rather, the movie has more to do with the writing of the book, along with hallucinogenic reptile Mugwump aliens, talking typewriters, and giant insects thrown in for good measure. The central theme of the movie, where the protagonist William Lee shoots his wife accidentally on purpose, is based on the real life incident in which William Burroughs shot and killed his wife Joan. Another more historically accurate film is Beat, which stars Kieffer Sutherland as Burroughs and Courtney Love as his wife Joan. My wife has ordered as a present for my upcoming birthday the documentary William S. Burroughs: The Man Within, in which the movie version of Naked Lunch's director David Cronnemberg discusses Burroughs, and his wife's homicide as the defining moment of both the movie, and Burroughs' life.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer



rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 685

14 Mar 2011, 1:54 am

graywyvern wrote:
one of my favorites. like all movies about alienation, i can read it more specifically about myself (e.g. Carnival of Souls) but not to limit it to that.
atmosphere, art direction, the performances & the wit of the dialogue all set it apart from even good art movies.
i would just cavil that it's not much like the book at all...


hmm. never read the book... id definitely see more movies about alienation!



rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 685

14 Mar 2011, 2:07 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Zen wrote:
Of course! I owned Naked Lunch on VHS, but gave it away because I no longer had a VCR. But... that was so long ago, I've forgotten too much of it to comment on it. :oops:


Same with me!
Well, I still have the movie on video, but I don't own a VCR anymore.
And yes the movie is indeed a head trip. I've also read the novel Naked Lunch, by the late William S. Burroughs. To say that the book was unfilmable is an understatement. Rather, the movie has more to do with the writing of the book, along with hallucinogenic reptile Mugwump aliens, talking typewriters, and giant insects thrown in for good measure. The central theme of the movie, where the protagonist William Lee shoots his wife accidentally on purpose, is based on the real life incident in which William Burroughs shot and killed his wife Joan. Another more historically accurate film is Beat, which stars Kieffer Sutherland as Burroughs and Courtney Love as his wife Joan. My wife has ordered as a present for my upcoming birthday the documentary William S. Burroughs: The Man Within, in which the movie version of Naked Lunch's director David Cronnemberg discusses Burroughs, and his wife's homicide as the defining moment of both the movie, and Burroughs' life.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


so burroughs probably wrote the book in prison, yeah? im not much of a reader, but im definitely curious now to see what the text is like.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,793
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

14 Mar 2011, 2:50 am

rocknrollslc wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Zen wrote:
Of course! I owned Naked Lunch on VHS, but gave it away because I no longer had a VCR. But... that was so long ago, I've forgotten too much of it to comment on it. :oops:


Same with me!
Well, I still have the movie on video, but I don't own a VCR anymore.
And yes the movie is indeed a head trip. I've also read the novel Naked Lunch, by the late William S. Burroughs. To say that the book was unfilmable is an understatement. Rather, the movie has more to do with the writing of the book, along with hallucinogenic reptile Mugwump aliens, talking typewriters, and giant insects thrown in for good measure. The central theme of the movie, where the protagonist William Lee shoots his wife accidentally on purpose, is based on the real life incident in which William Burroughs shot and killed his wife Joan. Another more historically accurate film is Beat, which stars Kieffer Sutherland as Burroughs and Courtney Love as his wife Joan. My wife has ordered as a present for my upcoming birthday the documentary William S. Burroughs: The Man Within, in which the movie version of Naked Lunch's director David Cronnemberg discusses Burroughs, and his wife's homicide as the defining moment of both the movie, and Burroughs' life.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


so burroughs probably wrote the book in prison, yeah? im not much of a reader, but im definitely curious now to see what the text is like.


Actually not. He shot his wife while they were in Mexico (not New York, as in the movie Naked Lunch), and then skipped across the border after his lawyer was arrested himself for shooting someone. Burroughs was tried in absentia, and was sentenced to just a few years, which he never served. He actually did a lot of writing in Algeria (the real Interzone), where he had gone for the male prostitutes and cheap heroin.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer



rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 685

14 Mar 2011, 3:04 am

yikes. from what you said, it seems to me like naked lunch was his rational/outlet/expression related to killing his wife. or something



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,793
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

14 Mar 2011, 3:21 am

rocknrollslc wrote:
yikes. from what you said, it seems to me like naked lunch was his rational/outlet/expression related to killing his wife. or something


Actually, he never touched the subject of Joan's death, till years later, when he wrote a forward for a new edition of Naked Lunch. In it, he said something to the effect of: "I must come to the appalling conclusion that I would not have become a writer had it not been for Joan's death (my paraphrase based on memory)."
When David Cronenberg had said that Burroughs had been writing himself out of Joan's death ever since, Burroughs replied that he was probably right.

By the way, even though Burroughs had never been diagnosed as such, I think a case for Asperger's can be made for him.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer



milascave
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 9

18 Mar 2011, 1:12 am

If your interested in the book, there is a thread on it in another part of this site.
I didn'r totaly love the movie. It didn't measure up to the book (but how could it?).
The characters seem kind of flat (though Buroughs did come across that way.)
It played fast and loose with real history, most of which was not in the book at all.
Also, it did seem to exploit the shooting of Joan in a way that Buroughs himself didn't.
Still, it had some freaky and interesting images. The typerwriters turning into bugs and having sex, the mugmumps and so forth.
See it if you like, just know that it is a Cronenburg movie, not a Buroughs movie, and it dosn't stick closely to the book.



rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 685

22 Mar 2011, 6:19 am

i might just do that sometime.