Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 7:51 pm

hey, i'm starting a batman comic book collection, and i have a question: since all issues before 1970 were deemed non canon, do you guys know what issues/graphic novels ARE canon? this is much appreciated

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 8:18 pm

Killing Joke and Long Halloween are my faves.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 10:58 pm

imbatshitcrazy wrote:
hey, i'm starting a batman comic book collection, and i have a question: since all issues before 1970 were deemed non canon, do you guys know what issues/graphic novels ARE canon? this is much appreciated

Depends on the writer. However, pretty much everything since the last "Crisis" crossover (the one where they cut it down to a total of 52 universes in their multiverse) should be okay. That takes you back to sometime around the beginning of this century, I think...

Oh, and while The Dark Knight Returns is pretty kick-ass, it's completely non-canonical. (Ignore the sequel - I think Miller was just pissed off at DC management when he wrote that one.)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 1:06 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
imbatshitcrazy wrote:

Depends on the writer. However, pretty much everything since the last "Crisis" crossover (the one where they cut it down to a total of 52 universes in their multiverse) should be okay. That takes you back to sometime around the beginning of this century, I think...

Oh, and while The Dark Knight Returns is pretty kick-ass, it's completely non-canonical. (Ignore the sequel - I think Miller was just pissed off at DC management when he wrote that one.)

Oddly enough though, without The Dark Knight Returns, the Batman franchise very well could have died. It was Frank Miller who had breathed new life into the character, and set the tone for the current, dangerous, obsessive Batman we know from the Batman movies, from Michale Keaton to Christian Bale (well, except for the George Clooney Batman :P ).

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 10:17 am

SadAspy wrote:
Killing Joke and Long Halloween are my faves.

i didn't ask for that

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 10:57 am

Well they are both canon...geez.....I was just saying if you want to also read enjoyable stories, these two are good bets.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 2:03 pm

SadAspy wrote:
Well they are both canon...geez.....I was just saying if you want to also read enjoyable stories, these two are good bets.

sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh, i just wasn't asking for faves, i was asking for canon

p.s. i have read them both, they are really good

hill-o-beans
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2011, 2:33 pm

AFAIK grant morrison has put every batman story back into continuity in his run of the past few years, even the goofy 50s stuff which plays a big role. I highly recomend morrisons "batman and robin" where bruces son is robin and the original robin is batman, and i also recomend the graphic novels of the first ever 30s/40s comics, which are really gritty and spooky, and i was suprised reading them how much DKR had referenced them.