Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 8:39 pm

I was wondering, does everyone with AS have a vitamin D deficiency? I probably do because of where I live, but, does EVERYONE?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 8:46 pm

Not if you use supplementation or if you live somewhere with lots of sun and you are outside with skin exposed all the time.

Eggs, fish and mushrooms are examples of Vitamin D containing foods but it is hard to get the right amounts without supplementation.

I take 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily because of recommendations from this article:

http://www.naturalnews.com/031577_vitam ... earch.html

Low levels are linked to allergies in kids.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 022411.php

Somebody also made a thread about a possible deficiency link and Autism today. Take a look:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts154796-highlight.html

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:22 pm

I plan to get some suppliments when I get paid, the last Wednesday of the month.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:27 pm

I take 2,000 iu three times a day. I only go out at night when the streets are less crowded so I do not get a lot of sun.

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2011, 10:01 pm

I've been take 3,000 UI per day, and I really think it helps me feel better both physically and psychologically, I'll probably keep it up through the summer and bring it up to at least 4,000 UI in the fall and add another 1,000 for the winter.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 12:21 am

Vitamin D has different forms. The multivitamin I take every other day has it. I also will get sun exposure on wide areas of my skin maybe for 1 hour once a week to maintain a base tan so I won't burn if I need to be out in the sun for longer periods at other times, and I feel quite good after doing this.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 10:10 am

Sunshine! It makes you generate more vitamin D than pounds upon pounds of broccoli.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 11:03 am

Sunshine also destroys vitamin D if you've been getting too much of it.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2011, 12:40 pm

What I do is test my D3 levels in order to keep them between 60 to 70ng/ml. From what I've read, everyone is different in their D3 needs.

The folly of an RDA for vitamin D

http://www.heartscanblog.org/2011/01/fo ... min-d.html

From the article:

Quote:
Tom is a 50-year old, 198-lb white male. At the start, his 25-hydroxy vitamin D level was 28.8 ng/ml in July. Tom supplements vitamin D, 2000 units per day, in gelcap form. Six months later in January (winter), Tom's 25-hydroxy vitamin D level: 67.4 ng/ml.

Jerry is another 50-year old white male with similar build and weight. Jerry's starting summer 25-hydroxy vitamin D level: 26.4 ng/ml. Jerry takes 12,000 units vitamin D per day, also in gelcap form. In winter, six months later, Jerry's 25-hydroxy vitamin D level: 63.2 ng/ml.

Two men, similar builds, similar body weight, both Caucasian, similar starting levels of 25-hydroxy vitamin D. Yet they have markedly different needs for vitamin D dose to achieve a similar level of 25-hydroxy vitamin D. Why?

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 2:13 pm

Jojoba wrote:
What I do is test my D3 levels in order to keep them between 60 to 70ng/ml. From what I've read, everyone is different in their D3 needs.

That is the right idea.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 3:37 pm

All I know is that I'm deficient in it and have been prescribed mega doses of it, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm not sure how much I take per day. I'd have to go look at the bottles.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 3:48 pm

Zen wrote:
All I know is that I'm deficient in it and have been prescribed mega doses of it, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm not sure how much I take per day. I'd have to go look at the bottles.

Yes check the levels please.

And what are you using to gauge how well you are now? Vitamin D blood levels or your general well being?

If it is just how you feel then there may be other health problems needing looking into.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 4:09 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
Zen wrote:

And what are you using to gauge how well you are now? Vitamin D blood levels or your general well being?

If it is just how you feel then there may be other health problems needing looking into.

I go for blood tests about twice a year, and D is one of the things I'm always deficient in. It's quite frustrating.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 4:28 pm

Zen wrote:
PatrickNeville wrote:
Zen wrote:

I go for blood tests about twice a year, and D is one of the things I'm always deficient in. It's quite frustrating.

Ok how large is the dose of the supplements you are taking at the moment?

Is it oil based or tablet form?

Do you take it with a meal?

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 7:11 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
Zen wrote:
PatrickNeville wrote:
Zen wrote:

Ok how large is the dose of the supplements you are taking at the moment?

Is it oil based or tablet form?

Do you take it with a meal?

I just checked. It adds up to 8000 IU/day, spread out through the day, usually with meals. Part of it is Citracal (calcium + D) and the rest is a liquid softgel.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:47 pm

Zen wrote:
I just checked. It adds up to 8000 IU/day, spread out through the day, usually with meals. Part of it is Citracal (calcium + D) and the rest is a liquid softgel.

That should be most definitely be enough.

I think I could safely guess health issues lie else where.