Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:30 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Quote:
Orwell wrote:
AG wrote:
[Your first point is based on you having a foregone conclusion and rejecting obvious, established, empirical facts because they don't agree with you.

When we speak of conflicts like the Thirty Years' War that killed upwards of a third of the population (in some places greater than 3/4, and overall approximately half of the male population in Germany) and left nations utterly devastated for nearly a century afterwards, and then look at the "bloodbath" of WWII where America and Britain respectively lost less than 1% of their populations, and even the Soviets who bore the brunt of the conflict lost under 15%, there can be no real comparison.

I will also note here that you are using local statistics, not century wide statistics (which is something you have criticized me for).... your dishonesty is astounding... maybe it is time to stop watching TED and start actually reading the textbooks.

You call me dishonest?! You disgusting piece of crap. That is not what AG wrote! Ever! You are putting words into his mouth that he never typed. That cannot possibly be anything other than a deliberate snipping and pasting of quotes with the direct intent to deceive.

It could be a misattribution.... however, I don't know where he'd get the "AG" from if it were an accident, as usually such accidents only occur if one is quoting someone who is quoting someone... which doesn't make a lot of sense.

No, this is obviously deliberate... he went back to the beginning of the debate on "bloodiest," quoted me, and deliberately removed your words, replacing them with my words directed to him from 6 pages later. There is no possible way that was a typo or a misattribution, as if he has simply quoted my post, it would have brought in your writing with it. He was trying to make it look as though we disagreed on the basic question of what a reasonable measure of violence would be, and you simply flipped your position later out of some personal enmity towards him without regard for the fact that you obviously thought he was correct. This has to be the most blatant and transparent dishonesty I've seen from 91 so far. Everything else could at least hypothetically be explained by staggering idiocy; this cannot be anything other than a deliberate lie.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:32 am

For the record, here is the original post of mine:

Orwell wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Right, I think the issue is how one takes population into account. A metric without population taken into account is kind of ridiculous in my mind though.

When we speak of conflicts like the Thirty Years' War that killed upwards of a third of the population (in some places greater than 3/4, and overall approximately half of the male population in Germany) and left nations utterly devastated for nearly a century afterwards, and then look at the "bloodbath" of WWII where America and Britain respectively lost less than 1% of their populations, and even the Soviets who bore the brunt of the conflict lost under 15%, there can be no real comparison.

Where you called 91's measure "ridiculous." 91 then took this quote, deleted your words, and inserted a comment I addressed to him earlier on this page, "Your first point is based on you having a foregone conclusion and rejecting obvious, established, empirical facts because they don't agree with you." Further, it is not a quote bungling from some sort of botched copy-paste, as the quote he makes says "AG wrote" rather than "AwesomelyGlorious wrote" as the forum software would do if he pressed the "quote" button. He deliberately wrote {quote="AG"} in order to attribute things to you that you did not write.

Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:42 am

Umm. Gentleman... someone edited my post. As far as I am aware, I actually quoted you both in the correct manner. Though I did type AG I specifically copied and posted the quote.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:45 am

91 wrote:
Umm. Gentleman... someone edited my post. As far as I am aware, I actually quoted you both in the correct manner.

Are you now going to invoke a conspiracy of the moderators to make you look dishonest and stupid?

This is a grotesque and transparent lie. Your post, as it stands, plainly shows some "creative" quoting that cannot have been accidental. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the moderators planted that to make you look foolish, and every reason to believe you are the one who did it, given that it is obviously constructed to fit in to your ridiculous narrative about how AG actually agrees with your position but only flipped out of spite.

Quote:
Though I did type AG I specifically copied and posted the quote.

Right, you copied and pasted a quote of mine directed at you and pasted it into a quote box attributing it to AG with the impression that he was addressing me. Are you claiming that AG actually wrote what is attributed to him in your post?

Last edited by Orwell on 19 Mar 2011, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:47 am

91 wrote:
Umm. Gentleman... someone edited my post. As far as I am aware, I actually quoted you both in the correct manner. Though I did type AG I specifically copied and posted the quote.

Right, because a moderator really wants to stir up conflict here. The only person I can see editing your post in this situation is you. There are no moderators I have seen involved in this specific instance, and this kind of behavior matches your own too well for "moderator intervention" to be seen as reasonable.

Now, a moderator COULD alter your post. I actually think I've had that happen to me before. BUT, it is entirely unreasonable for anybody to believe this is the case, as it makes no sense.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:52 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Now, a moderator COULD alter your post. I actually think I've had that happen to me before. BUT, it is entirely unreasonable for anybody to believe this is the case, as it makes no sense.

I think I've had moderators alter my posts in the past as well; but the only times they do that are typically when someone is seen as having crossed the line with respect to site rules- eg a moderator might edit out insults either of us have directed at 91. They would not edit someone's post to screw up their quotes. In fact, deliberately misquoting someone has typically been regarded as over the line by moderators; I have seen at least one mod threaten bannings over such behavior, so it seems unlikely they would engage in it themselves when there is no indication of their involvement at all.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 10:19 am

Orwell wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

I think I've had moderators alter my posts in the past as well; but the only times they do that are typically when someone is seen as having crossed the line with respect to site rules- eg a moderator might edit out insults either of us have directed at 91. They would not edit someone's post to screw up their quotes. In fact, deliberately misquoting someone has typically been regarded as over the line by moderators; I have seen at least one mod threaten bannings over such behavior, so it seems unlikely they would engage in it themselves when there is no indication of their involvement at all.

Oh, I actually meant a moderator messing with my post. I agree with you that it makes no sense. (In the case I remember, I think I was arguing against a very strongly liberal moderator on economic policy or something... but that could be a mistaken memory. It was years ago as well. Finally, there was a real motive in that I was disagreeing openly with a moderator on a topic. For all I know it could have been a mistake, as the post was edited then deleted. Finally, my memory could just be bad on the entire matter anyway.