Should be conducted more often 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 39

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 1:42 pm

Simonono wrote:
Keep them in prison for 30 years and then hang them!! :twisted:

I mean the really evil people that deserve it.

I agree. I don't think the death penalty should be conducted because death isn't a punishment.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 10:00 pm

persian85033 wrote:
I don't think the death penalty should be conducted because death isn't a punishment.

:idea: 8)

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 10:54 pm

Having Government mandated death sentences sets a dangerous precedent. I'm opposed.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 11:36 pm

jamieboy wrote:
Having Government mandated death sentences sets a dangerous precedent. I'm opposed.

government mandated death sentences go back at least 6000 years.

Lets face it: having governments is a dangerous precedent.

ruveyn

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 11:45 pm

ruveyn wrote:
jamieboy wrote:

Lets face it: having governments is a dangerous precedent.

ruveyn

:salut:

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 11:52 pm

try playing a sports game without a ref or an ump or whatever. try holding meetings without roberts rules of order. think wrong planet's relative civility would survive sans moderators? some kind of representative democratic government [weighted in favor of the little people] is a necessary evil, to restrain the worst aspects of human nature, and especially to restrain the big boys from bullying the little boys. anarchy seems fun only in the abstract, until the actual day when the bullies seep out of the woodwork and start to gather 'round menacingly.
but capital punishment is too much government, going the circle back 'round towards pitchforked rabble anarchy but under cover of tacit authority- it is murder by proxy. government is supposed to filter the murder out of the crowds, not usurp the function. i wish it were not too much to expect from this nation, that we could be as advanced as some other countries in many ways but especially in having also eliminated the death penalty, once and for all time.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 12:17 am

I'm all in favor of the death penalty, using it for a wide variety of offenses, cutting down the number of appeals, executing people publicly in the town or preferably the neighborhood where they committed their offense (or where they committed the most of their offenses), and not use gay methods like lethal injection or gas to kill violent offenders. Use something like hanging, a firing squad, or the electric chair!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 12:23 am

John_Browning wrote:
I'm all in favor of the death penalty, using it for a wide variety of offenses, cutting down the number of appeals, executing people publicly in the town or preferably the neighborhood where they committed their offense (or where they committed the most of their offenses), and not use gay methods like lethal injection or gas to kill violent offenders. Use something like hanging, a firing squad, or the electric chair!

why stop there? why not have public hating sessions where crowds of angry people tear offenders limb from limb? why not boil people in oil, slowly from a tepid murmer to roiling flesh-rending torture? drawing and quartering sounds good, doesn't it? mincing by a million cuts with a dull blade sounds even better, no? how 'bout collecting all the offenders [anybody you think should be killed by state sanction] and having them kill each other with their bare hands, until the last one standing has to rip out his own intestines with a rusty fork?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 12:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
John_Browning wrote:

why stop there? why not have public hating sessions where crowds of angry people tear offenders limb from limb? why not boil people in oil, slowly from a tepid murmer to roiling flesh-rending torture? drawing and quartering sounds good, doesn't it? mincing by a million cuts with a dull blade sounds even better, no? how 'bout collecting all the offenders [anybody you think should be killed by state sanction] and having them kill each other with their bare hands, until the last one standing has to rip out his own intestines with a rusty fork?

Because the 8th amendment prevents any more creative sentencing, otherwise I would have advocated that too. :wink:

-Sigmund Freud

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 7:17 am

If I had any faith in my fellow mans ability to reasonably select the right murderer.

but since in america
we have failed high school football bullies doing our policing
aspiring politicians doing our prosecution.
self worshiping prigs doing our judging
and LCD morons on our Juries

I can not trust we are killing the right folks
it is funny to see people who have no faith in government to give them healthcare
trust it completly in law enforcement.

-Jake

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 7:49 am

JakobVirgil wrote:
If I had any faith in my fellow mans ability to reasonably select the right murderer.

but since in america

it is funny to see people who have no faith in government to give them healthcare

-Jake

The people who have no faith in government healthcare often prefer to carry a gun and look after themselves. If the criminal gets shot on the spot, you still get the death penalty and there is no doubt you have the right guy. And quite frankly, wrongful convictions are extremely rare, and housing inmates for life out of a hypothetical fear that there might be an innocent man somewhere among them is detrimental to our budget ad our society because these extremely hardened criminals end up making hardened criminals out of thieves, drug addicts, and 19 y/o kids.

-Sigmund Freud

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 8:34 am

John_Browning wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

but since in america

-Jake

The people who have no faith in government healthcare often prefer to carry a gun and look after themselves. If the criminal gets shot on the spot, you still get the death penalty and there is no doubt you have the right guy. And quite frankly, wrongful convictions are extremely rare, and housing inmates for life out of a hypothetical fear that there might be an innocent man somewhere among them is detrimental to our budget ad our society because these extremely hardened criminals end up making hardened criminals out of thieves, drug addicts, and 19 y/o kids.

totally agree with you on the issue of the ill effects of prisons.
(I think that if we stopped the inane "drug war" we could free up some room for real criminals.)
and on the issue that the indvidual should not surender his right to violence to the state.
a strong civil society is much more powerful than cops at keeping the peace.

we part company on the rareness of wrongful convictions.
Here is a link to a list of 1259 cases

so we are at 2/3 agreement on the subject. pretty good for a right-wing gunnut and a godless commie. :lol:

-Jake

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 11:05 am

It would make sense in extreme cases, but then:
1. * How do you draw the line ethically?
2. * Is the legal system infallible?
3. * Is giving a state the power to kill citizens a good idea?

1. Is very hard and 2. has been proven to be false multiple times with people accused of murder that were freed after new evidence was found. And about #3, The libertarian in me says that giving such power to a state is a bad idea.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 7:04 pm

I’m always amused at the people that don’t think the state should be permitted to put convicted murderers to death but that the state should be able to regulate every other aspect of our lives.
“Tax this, raise taxes on that, ban this, regulate that, control this…etc.”

But to get back to the OP, yes, I'm for the death penalty.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 7:12 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
It would make sense in extreme cases, but then:
1. * How do you draw the line ethically?
2. * Is the legal system infallible?
3. * Is giving a state the power to kill citizens a good idea?

1. Is very hard and 2. has been proven to be false multiple times with people accused of murder that were freed after new evidence was found. And about #3, The libertarian in me says that giving such power to a state is a bad idea.
I agree with #2, I think @1 is an easy line to draw, and I think #3 is irrelevant since it is considered within the government's role to protect its citziens from crime and foreign invasion.

@ Raptor: Both phrases "Less Govenremnt" and ":more govenrment" shouldn't be taken too ltierally. A lot of people who believe in less government believe it is winthin the govenrment's jurisdiction to protect its citizens from domestic crime and foreign threats. Likewise people who believbe in bvigg governemnt don't necessarily believe so for its own sake. So both phrases need to be taken contextually.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 7:25 pm

I don't know. I don't particularly like it, especially since people are wrongly convicted sometimes. But I do think some people are incapable of reforming and being useful to society, so I don't see the point of looking after them in prison. But I don't know. I live in a country where we don't have the death penalty, so I choose not to think too much about it.