Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 7:51 pm

Yesterday, after way too many months of contemplating and putting it off, I finally asked my dad about such things as; what was I like as a small child? How did I interact with others at an early age? Did you notice anything 'different' about me? etc. And I finally got round to asking him what he knows about autism and it's varying levels. (He is a Support Worker for adults with learning disabilities, and some of the people he looks after have autism, although it is very profound.)

I had written some notes down (as I knew I would choke up if I were to simply try to tell him) and after basically letting him know that I think at least I have a mild form of autism, I handed him the notes so he could understand a bit better how I felt inside, even when I don't show it, and various 'case scenarios' and things which have stood out in my life as signs of Asperger's. After a while he seemed to piece things together bit by bit and after I had calmed my nerves down a little, I showed him some various parts of Wrong Planet and the National Autistic Society website. I also showed him the Autism Reality documentary that has been posted on here, which I think he found helpful also. As he could obviously see that I was taking all of this very seriously and I had fully researched Asperger's Syndrome, he offered to get me some help with some of the staff at his workplace, and to help me with finding useful contacts for a possible diagnosis in the future.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me through this, even though many of you won't have realised you have helped me so much.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 7:57 pm

That's great. :D I wish my mom was like your dad, she won't take it seriously...

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Mar 2011, 8:23 pm

This is great. Hope you get it soon. :)

I finally talked to my mother about this. When she said a few weeks ago that I wasn't autistic, I was kind of wondering how she'd react to "Yes, I really am." As it turned out, she realized that it made a lot of sense and remembered things that would support it.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 8:30 pm

Wow... Awesome news to the both of you. My Mother is the one who spotted it in me years ago but I never acknowledged it or even looked it up until the shrink hit me with it in Nov. Now when I try to talk to her about it she basically just shrugs it off like it is no big deal. You know 'cause I have been living with it all this time. :roll: You'd think she would be a tiny bit more open for disucssion....

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 8:41 pm

That's great! I hope that things go well during the proccess. :D

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

17 Mar 2011, 12:08 pm

That's excellent news. :D I'm so pleased for you mate.

It's really good news that you have your parents on side too - and especially considering your Dad's contacts.
I bet they'll turn out to be a mine of information about you when younger, and it's so good you've started your discoveries at a young enough age for it to make a real difference later in life.
Eeeh, I'm reet chuffed for you. :lol:

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 7:11 pm

Thanks for the replies people, I'll keep you informed as always on what's going on and how I progress.

Sheldon96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2011, 2:14 pm

Lucky you! That's great, I'm glad your father is taking you seriously.
I approached it the exact same way you did, researching thoroughly and writing things down. My mother, unfortunately, is in complete denial and refuses to accept there is such a thing as Aperger's syndrome or autism. I am forced to wait until the age of 18 when I can go and get a diagnosis myself.
Saying that, I'm pleased that you are able to take the steps necessary to receiving a diagnosis.

Good luck!

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:42 am

I got round to asking my mum today what she thought about me having Asperger's, and she seems to agree with me. (Before today I had only asked my dad about it, and not my mum because I wasn't ready to yet). But when I told my mum, it wasn't even like it was news to her, she said I always seemed a little autistic anyway. And when I said about perhaps 'slipping through the radar', she agreed totally. I was really pleased with the outcome of the discussion and I feel I can talk to both my parents a lot easier now when it comes to discussing autism.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Mar 2011, 9:48 am

Wow - that's a result!
Great news, and a great development.