I don't think it means what you think it means...

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 12:32 am

They have decimated the English language. Look at the chaos this has caused. It certainly is ironic and random. In fact one could say it is a word apocalypse.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 12:39 am

Ah_Q wrote:
They have decimated the English language. Look at the chaos this has caused. It certainly is ironic and random. In fact one could say it is a word apocalypse.

LOL

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

19 Mar 2011, 1:27 pm

Another word that has had its meaning changed over the years is anxiety (or, more specifically, the adjective form of the word, anxious). Being anxious used to mean that a person felt worrried due to fear of a bad outcome to a situation. Today, anxious seems to be synonomous with eager.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:00 am

draelynn wrote:
Apocalypse - definitely does not mean what most people think it means.

a revelation from a divine source. became associated with he end of the world because it was the original title of The Revalation. Kind of like Armageddon: it means "Megido Hill".

Zen: the funny thing is that a song that isn't about irony is called "isn't it ironic" is, in fact, ironic.

irishwhistle: Irony is the use of words or phrases other than their literal intention. It's virtually identical to sarcasm: the only difference is that irony is not at someone's expense.

Dramatic irony is when the audiance is aware of something the characters aren't. As much as it pains me to do so, for like of a better example, like the star wars scene where Obi Won says that Anakin will be the death of him or when Anakin breaks his lightsaber and says "Obi Won is going to kill me!"

Chaos is the supreme state of disorder. No form of Order is present is Chaos. No shape, color, light, dark, nothing. It is a theological/mythological concept of what was before existence was created. I.E. it is nothingness. and not that pretty space nothingness. because that is black and dark and those are forms of order.

happymusic: If you are not a faerie, you are not "glamourous"!

I am ESPECIALLY anal when it comes to mythology. I can't tell you how many fights I've had over what is and is not an orc, kobold, or elemental.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:05 am

What is an orc then, Tensu? All the different depictions of them have left me confused.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:21 am

A giant fish that eats people.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 1:05 pm

So what are the big green brutish things in LoTR?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 1:42 pm

draelynn wrote:

Middle management.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 7:48 pm

draelynn wrote:

Tolkin based it on an old english word for demon. He wanted to change the spelling to "Ork" to avoid confusion with the fishlike sea-demon (after which I assume orcas are named) but only one of his published works used this spelling so it never caught on, except in warhammer, where I've seen the spelling "ork" used.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 1:07 am

Meh, I don't mind about the orcs (or orks) since I become highly hypocritical about this topic when it comes to fantasy fiction... As someone trying to write my own, I have pity on the poor writer trying to fashion something reasonably fresh but not completely fresh because that is impossible anymore, I'm sure, and not jumping on a mistake until it's already gone to publication. With all the tweaks and changes a book goes through in the writing process, it's no wonder if it's not finished even after the final edit.

Still digesting irony... what of the scene in the movie Roxanne, when Charlie offers the naked woman something to put on and she says no, that she likes being naked in the freezing cold, so he gives her nothing and she asserts that she was being ironic? She was being sarcastic, indeed. Was she being ironic?

I've realized something in all this. I don't mind creative reassignment of meaning, using a word intelligently in an alternate way, as so many people have done before. What bothers me is when a word starts to assume new meaning and it becomes commonly used in that new meaning by people who never took the time to ask whether the person they heard using it was using it correctly. Any time a word catches on and is heard everywhere... eclectic, extreme, paradigm, per se, unique, diverse, proactive, ironic, awesome... And no one using it seems to care if they use it wrong. I suppose most of the annoyance for me comes from hearing them all the time, however.... it gets dull.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.