I'm a girl, and no I'm not. 27%  27%  [ 17 ]
I'm a guy, and yes I am. 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
I'm a guy, and no I'm not 47%  47%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 62

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 9:46 am

I know on advance this thread is going to inevitably turn into a battle of the sexes, but can we keep it relatively civil?

Misogynistic/misandrynistic comments are NOT welcome, please ignore them.

Just trying to collect some data here, OK? :roll:

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:06 am

My prediction is that the two highest responses will be "girl in a relationship" and "guy out of a relationship", with a couple "girl out of a relationship" (but not as much as the other two). That's the whole basis for some folks to post BS about how women supposedly have it easier or something...

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:08 am

Can't get an accurate result because you don't know what percentage of people are going to vote/tell the truth.

Men/women don't have it easier/harder.
Specific people with specific problems have it harder than people without those problems.

Quote:
That's the whole basis for some folks to post BS about how women supposedly have it easier or something...

Oh sorry, are you a woman now? You can't speak for women, just as the women can't speak for the men.
Actually, you can't speak for anyone but yourself.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:14 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
My prediction is that the two highest responses will be "girl in a relationship" and "guy out of a relationship", with a couple "girl out of a relationship" (but not as much as the other two). That's the whole basis for some folks to post BS about how women supposedly have it easier or something...

That's exactly what I predict as well, just trying to confirm it.

Women DO have it "easier" in terms of getting into relationships, that is an objective fact.

There is absolutely NO excuse for criticizing them for it or whining about how it is so "unfair" though.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:14 am

The poll's main question should have been "have you ever been in a relationship?"

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:15 am

Quote:
There is absolutely NO excuse for criticizing them for it or whining about how it is so "unfair" though.

X 1000.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:20 am

emlion wrote:
Can't get an accurate result because you don't know what percentage of people are going to vote/tell the truth.

I agree, this poll will in no way be statistically valid, but it should be good enough to suggest which gender is more likely to be in a relationship in the WP community.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:22 am

Grisha wrote:
emlion wrote:

I agree, this poll will in no way be statistically valid, but it should be good enough to suggest which gender is more likely to be in a relationship in the WP community.

yes, it will be women - obviously.
but that's not an indication that they have it 'easier'
maybe they just get on with it instead of complaining, maybe men leave the forum once they find a girl etc.
waaay too many variables to think about.

i'm surprised the flame wars haven't started already. :wink:

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:25 am

Quote:
Women DO have it "easier" in terms of getting into relationships, that is an objective fact.

Not necessarily. I wouldn't call it an 'objective fact'. Way too many variables going on.

This is such an individual issue that does it really matter whether other people are in relationships or not?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:38 am

Maybe we just need to have this whole thing reframed.

Maybe it feels better to not feel alone with the problem. At least we can share camaraderie in being romantically incompetent. Maybe that's been the whole point of all these arguments all along. But with the guys being aspergically rubbish at seeking sympathy and sharing of problems, and turning things into recriminations and blame, it's all gone a bit tragically wrong.

Last edited by Moog on 18 Mar 2011, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:39 am

it's not the whole 'being alone' thing thats the problem though.
it's making other people feel bad by saying they 'have it easy' or blaming women for this and that.

sharing is different to blaming other people when it's not their fault.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:42 am

emlion wrote:
it's making other people feel bad by saying they 'have it easy' or blaming women for this and that.

I recognise that.

I'm not saying we should support people doing that. I'm saying, or perhaps asking, how can we redirect this stuff into something useful?

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:43 am

Moog wrote:
emlion wrote:

I recognise that.

I'm not saying we should support people doing that. I'm saying, or perhaps asking, how can we redirect this stuff into something useful?

i have no idea.
it's difficult, a lot of people don't seem to want contructive help.
they just take it as an attack.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:53 am

emlion wrote:

Men/women don't have it easier/harder.
Specific people with specific problems have it harder than people without those problems.

Quote:
That's the whole basis for some folks to post BS about how women supposedly have it easier or something...

Oh sorry, are you a woman now? You can't speak for women, just as the women can't speak for the men.
Actually, you can't speak for anyone but yourself.

You'll notice i said "I predict"... you get people who never played football making predictions on games, why not here? It doesn't mean I'm going to be correct, I'm just making a prediction, based on what I can tell of the demographic of WP. You don't have to be one particular gender to notice trends...

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:57 am

i didn't say anything about the predict thing...?

just that you used the phrase 'the BS that women have it easier' or something like that.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 11:02 am

on another note; i reckon once men get in a relationship they don't hang around L & D anymore.
i see men in relationships all over the forum, but hardly any of them are in L & D.