My Routines Have Turned Into Major Time Wasters!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2011, 2:23 am

Most of my routines are websites I like going to, including this one (But there's others).

And they are wasting my time. There are other things I want to be doing but I wind up getting stuck on the routines and then run out of time and then the only thing I have time for otherwise are my responsibilities which I procrastinate on and put off and then I can't get the other things done. I'll even look forward to doing something and then find that all the procrastination from the routines means I have to do homework instead.

I also find it hard to actually form routines in order to save time so it takes me forever to get ready in the morning, for example. Any ideas to break out of these things. I think they've gotten to the level where I could call them "psychological addictions".

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 2:25 am

Same for me. >_< Well, the other things I want to do aren't responsibilities, but I still want to do them. :lol: It's hard to break routine; even if I want to I wind up doing what I always do.

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2011, 2:29 am

dunbots wrote:
Same for me. >_< Well, the other things I want to do aren't responsibilities, but I still want to do them. :lol: It's hard to break routine; even if I want to I wind up doing what I always do.

The other things I want to do aren't responsibilities either. It's that I run out of time and then realize the only time I have left are to complete responsibilities when if I had done the responsibilities earlier I could've done something fun I had planned(But that I don't usually get to do) instead.

EDIT:

Is there help for this? Rehab? These things can technically be thought of as addictions.

agent_cooper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2011, 2:55 am

I'm the same. In fact it's one of my big problems at the moment.

I have been in this situation before and managed to break out of it so I know it's possible, but not easy. While in psychotherapy, the way I did it was write down the new healthier routine - detailed daily schedules of what I would rather (should) be doing, at what time, how long each task takes approximately. I separated them in 3 blocks of tasks (morning, afternoon and evening). Cross the tasks when done. I made a rule not to go on the internet upon waking up. I could only go on the internet for a controlled amount of time after completing each block of tasks (as a form of reward). I also limited how many times I could go on certain websites in each internet session. The first month is hard, but then the new routine sinks in.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2011, 10:15 am

It's ridiculous. I get ut at 6:16 and I could sleep in 15 more minutes but after my shower I always have to check my email, come here and to 2 other websites. And as an insomniac I need every little bit I can get. I didn't even realize I had this routine until I read this topic. I find a lot of my routines I don't even notice until either someone else says something about it or it gets interrupted.