Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dvorak29
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2011, 4:12 pm

When I was younger, I was extremely sensitive to loud, sharp pitches. When the fire bell would ring in my elementary school, I would either scream in pain or fall to the ground. I also had an issue with objects being moved without giving me prior notice-my mother used to move the garbage can and when she did, I would move it back. I also appear to be in my own world, I would sit down, rock back and forth and stare at floors and walls trying to find patterns.

Today, I have great difficulty with empathy and sarcasm (when someone is sarcastic, 90% I cannot tell and I become upset by what has been said, when my friends are upset I am completely neutral and cannot console them). When I am talking with someone, I will talk about my interests and that person will tell me that they are uninterested in what I was talking about, but I could not tell. Sometimes I say things my friends consider rude but I did not mean to be (nor did I know I was). I am extremely irritated by people singing in a low volume or people whispering. I used to rub my hands (which I have stopped, but it was frequent up until high school) and I still rock back and forth, but stop myself when I realize I am doing it.

I can only focus on one or two areas or interest at a time and I have difficulty focusing on other subjects (I used to be fixated with dictionaries, then binary code, etc.). I have few facial expressions, I do not understand most facial expressions and body language and I am clumsy. I often use the same words in conversation. I am socially inept and very timid, almost afraid of people. Sometimes when a person speaks to me, I become so scared I am rendered speechless, even if I want to talk to them. My friends often tell me I lack common sense.

My doctor says I have OCD because I was anorexic during one point in my life (which I regret), but I do not have any of the symptoms of OCD (except perhaps the garbage can incident). She also told me I cannot be diagnosed because I am 18. To anyone who has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome: are these possible symptoms?

Last edited by dvorak29 on 19 Mar 2011, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 4:45 pm

100% Asperger's.

Also, anorexia and Asperger's are linked. Get a better doctor.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2011, 4:50 pm

You cannot be diagnosed by strangers on the Internet.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 4:51 pm

Avengilante wrote:
You cannot be diagnosed by strangers on the Internet.

Well, duh. The OP is looking for affirmation, not a diagnosis from us. And the OP sounds like a classic case of Asperger's from their description.

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2011, 9:20 pm

You can't be diagnosed because your 18? Thats crap. Aspergers doesnt go away once your 18.