Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 6:20 pm

Anyone watch this show?

I have been watching it lately and I like it. So much drama and very interesting stories. Sometimes Dr. Phil disturbs me because I don't always like what he says or his opinions. But his humor is funny.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 6:54 pm

Dr. Phil needs emergency ego removal surgery

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

Boggsey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2011, 8:05 pm

I have been watching it recently. Mainly because I am too lazy to get the remote after Ellen is over, but some of them are good.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 8:07 pm

sufi wrote:
Dr. Phil needs emergency ego removal surgery

I would have to agree - I find him a bombastic ass.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 8:18 pm

Whether it's Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, or Dr. Drew, any celebrity doctor will be a self serving ass. You can't be a doctor and a hero at the same time. Just like Bono's public philanthropy, true benevolence will not be broadcast for everyone to see.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 10:03 pm

Sometimes he pisses me off. Being a brick wall for one. I watched a show today about adult kids mooching off their parents. Samantha who had no job was borrowing money from her parents to pay for her car and cell phone. I felt angry when Dr. Phil told her to get rid of the car and phone but but but you need a cell phone so the place can call you for an interview. They need to reach you and you need a car to find a job and go to the interviews. He also told her go work at burger King or something but she had a college degree and when you have a college degree, you are over qualified to work at places like fast food or grocery stores as a bagger or cashier or stocker. His ignorance amazes me sometimes. Okay so maybe the girl could have used her parents car to get a job or use their cell phone for work places to call her and she would call them back and set up a time and day for the interview. I used to do it that way when I didn't have a cell phone, use my home number. But now places prefer to reach you and if they got a answering machine, it tells them you are unreliable so they don't bother to call you again for an interview and they can't even leave a message and number to call them back. I think that's stupid. Do they expect you to sit at home and do nothing because someone might call you for an interview? Uh I am not going to turn in one application and then sit at home and wait for a phone call. I would rather apply at other places too. Do they not want me to do that?

Not all places have public transportation. I think Samantha said there wasn't any where she lives. She also didn't have the money to move and Dr. Phil told her to move where there is a job and she argued how can she move if she doesn't have any money to do it. Yeah ignorance there from him.

As for the brother, I would have just gone to school part time so he can work. If Dr. Phil suggested that in the show, that I agree there. But I totally thought it was wrong that the parents got him a brand new TV that was uneeded. They were already in debt paying for their kids and they buy him a new TV. The kids were also at fault too by buying things they don't really need like drums or clothes. You need clothes if the others wear out, but not buy them because you liked how they look and the style when you already have like 20 pairs of pants at home or 50 pairs of shirts or 30 pairs of shoes.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 10:32 pm

Dr. Phil isn't over until the fat lady cries

Boggsey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2011, 10:48 pm

Haha yes some of his advice is completely ridiculus, but it is entertaining sometimes. :P

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 12:13 am

I also hate it when he interrupts and yells. I would probably have a meltdown up there if I were there and be yelling at him to let me finish.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 6:59 am

The last time i watched it was a few years ago. It was the follow up on....He was trying to push a 16yr old girl to have an abortion. She refused to kill her baby so Dr.Phil in all his wisdom, told her parents to kick her out so she would have to.

In the follow up, it was when she had graduated high school and wanted to go to college. Dr.Phil got his son to show her his college. Then afterwards Dr. Phil told her to give the baby up for adoption because college is too hard for a young single mum with no support. Umm yeah she completed high school while having a baby and living out of home and working to support herself.

At the end she said she wanted to find a boyfriend. Dr. Phil told her only losers date women with children. :x

So I'm never in a rush

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2013, 10:51 am

i have a situation with a family, and so i wrote Dr. Phil about it.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 11:27 am

Solvejg wrote:
The last time i watched it was a few years ago. It was the follow up on....He was trying to push a 16yr old girl to have an abortion. She refused to kill her baby so Dr.Phil in all his wisdom, told her parents to kick her out so she would have to.

In the follow up, it was when she had graduated high school and wanted to go to college. Dr.Phil got his son to show her his college. Then afterwards Dr. Phil told her to give the baby up for adoption because college is too hard for a young single mum with no support. Umm yeah she completed high school while having a baby and living out of home and working to support herself.

At the end she said she wanted to find a boyfriend. Dr. Phil told her only losers date women with children. :x

This is really horrible! This is why I prefer psychodynamic therapy to cognitive behavioral therapy.

Sylanor
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2013, 3:22 pm

I used to love his shows, then i started paying attention to how he treats some people. He wants to help people, but only until they spill out every secret they have on live television. And i remember he had a show about some subjects on which he seemed to be clueless about. Also when i started noticing how 90% of the show is drama and 10% actual medical stuff i stopped watching.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 3:24 pm

Maybe Dr. McGraw is a cool person in real life - I can't claim it, though.

What gets me is how quickly and easily it is to spot the person who needs their attitude adjusted with a high colonic and a 30-mile forced march with a 50-pound field pack and no sunscreen. 5 minutes into any one episode, and I can switch channels, come back 10 minutes before the episode ends, and verify my observations.

Where does he dig up his guests?

Why does he putz around for nearly the entire episode, when he could just tell someone off, cut to a commercial, and bring on another loser?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

I used to watch Dr. Phil a lot, but around Christmas I decided to no longer watch any show or go on any website with "Dr." in the title, unless it's a fictional doctor or a vet or something. After the recent massacres down in the States I felt these so-called experts added fuel to all the paranoia and stigma about people with mental illness or disorders and anyone who acts "odd" is a potential killer. I used to go on Dr. Phil's website a lot, but I officially said goodbye to everyone on it. explains my reasons for doing so, and left. I even removed the bookmark. The negative opinions of other people online haven't helped. either. They call him "Dr. Phail or "Dr. Phool". That makes me feel like a fool as well. :( Recently one of his guests was this "monster-in-law" who would not shut up during the entire show, put Ex-Lax in her son-in-law's hot-chocolate, and was incredibly rude and disrespectful to everyone on the show. When I found out she was coming back before giving the show up for good I said on the website "If I had to choose between drinking an entire bottle of caster oil and watching her again I'd... well, I'd watch her on the show again. But I don't have to choose, so I won't." :lol:

Last edited by lostonearth35 on 24 Jan 2013, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 4:08 pm

I also really hated the episodes about adults who have no job and mooch off their parents. It makes me feel even more guilty that I have no paying job and the only reason I'm not living in poverty is the extra money I get from my parents although I think I have a number of good reasons why I am unable to work and earn my own salary. And the women whining about not finding a man or when they are with a man but he's very abusive but they don't want to break up because they "love" him. That makes me sick and they put our gender back about 500 years when they say that! :x