Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 8:58 pm

Ok, I need some tech support. My parents recently got a new router to replace the old one that was kind of getting slow. They let me have the old router, since I mentioned wanting to set it up so that I can use it to play my Nintendo DS. (My parent's network uses WPA encryption, which is incompatible with the DS wireless capability.)

The way both routers work is that they have a Ethernet cable that goes from the internet provider (in this case, the cable box) to the router, and then they have other Ethernet cable ports that run to devices such as PC's in addition to the wireless. So I plugged an Ethernet cable into the new router's device output and plugged the other end into the old router's internet input.

At first I thought it was working, seeing as the old router's internet service light came on. However, when I tried to log on to the network being broadcast by my old router, it said I didn't have Internet access.

I think it has something to do with the way my router is set up, but I really don't have a clue.

Any ideas?

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:33 pm

Disable DHCP in the router without internet access (the old?)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:33 am

My old routers have Normal/Uplink buttons (switches) on one port to be used for linking one to the other, and I suspect that might be your problem. To get around that if no such button exists, I think a special cable with a certain two conductors crossed might work.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 11:41 am

is it possible to get the model and make of the old router??
some routers have the option in their BIOS to function as a wireless access point instead of router, this would solve your problem.
dunno if you can use 2 different encryptions this way though, never really tried using this setting.

similar to what kra said

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 2:19 pm

I've been experimenting this with my old NETGEAR router alongside my currently sky router and what you would need to do is that you would have to turn off your DHCP mode and set the static IP to a local one preferably e.g: 192.168.0.2 .

Plus the old router to your new router as an ethernet port.

Also where it says "Do you need a log in to connect to the internet" or something smiliar, tick no.

Hopefully this information can be a little useful for you?

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 5:36 pm

superboyian wrote:
I've been experimenting this with my old NETGEAR router alongside my currently sky router and what you would need to do is that you would have to turn off your DHCP mode and set the static IP to a local one preferably e.g: 192.168.0.2 .

Plus the old router to your new router as an ethernet port.

Also where it says "Do you need a log in to connect to the internet" or something smiliar, tick no.

Hopefully this information can be a little useful for you?

I got "turn off DCHP mode" out of that. Would that be the router I'm using as an access point or the new router that's actually connected to our cable box?

The only major issue I have is that I can't change too many settings on the new router, because even though I can access the configuration, it belongs to my dad and if I screw something up or make it to where he can't use the router, he'll be pissed.

But as for the old router, I will see if turning off DCHP and setting a static IP will work.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

tannu_tuva
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2011, 1:15 am

first you need to plug just a computer into the old router, and make sure it's IP address is different than the main router running the DHCP server (assigning the new IPs on the network)

you need to turn off the DHCP on the old router so they both aren't trying to assign IPs to new computers on the network (so it will act as a network switch)

if the old router doesn't have an uplink port, you need to run a normal ethernet cable (you shouldn't need a crossover cable for this) from one of the regular out ports on the main (new) router, into one of the regular out ports on the old router, I would use port 1 (but you CAN'T use the WAN/internet port - it won't work)

once these are hooked up the old router should act as a switch with the new router running the DHCP server assigning new IPs, and you should be able to log into both of them on their respective address, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, etc... and configure them independently

you shouldn't have to change any settings on the new router, which should be hooked up to the cable box running the DHCP server