Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 10:30 pm

Last edited by imbatshitcrazy on 20 Mar 2011, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 11:51 pm

Image...Such a compelling scientific argument... :roll:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 11:53 pm

John_Browning wrote:

Rhetorical Question: Why am I thinking of Climategate...

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 1:21 am

imbatshitcrazy wrote:
Global warming: Causes and effects

Where are all the sources? Anthropogenic climate change is a bold claim though overall is supported by the large majority of the scientific community. There are many open sources that have good data you could at least cite, it is definitely necessary for this topic unless you want to draw ridicule from those supporting denialism (see above.. 8) )

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 7:02 am

I would ask those denialists if they are at all familiar with the carbon cycle, as climate change is pretty obvious to anyone who is.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 7:21 am

Vigilans wrote:
imbatshitcrazy wrote:

Where are all the sources? Anthropogenic climate change is a bold claim though overall is supported by the large majority of the scientific community. There are many open sources that have good data you could at least cite, it is definitely necessary for this topic unless you want to draw ridicule from those supporting denialism (see above.. 8) )

Everyone is fixated on warming. Here is a long term anthropogenic effect that cannot be ignored:

Humans release of two trillion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year. Forty percent of that is dissolved into sea water. Once in the water there is a reaction which produces carbonic acid. The carbonic acid is one of the causes of the die off of the coral reefs. If the coral dies off this will be a loss of habitat for fish and other sea creatures. If they die off a major source of protein for the world's human population will be lost. This translates into less nourishment for humans, most of whom are already not properly fed. Bad news for the humans.

Forget warming. Starvation is more serious.

ruveyn

camphortree
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2011, 7:25 am

at least we won't need to eat as much to keep us warm :D

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:29 am

ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
imbatshitcrazy wrote:

Everyone is fixated on warming. Here is a long term anthropogenic effect that cannot be ignored:

Humans release of two trillion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year. Forty percent of that is dissolved into sea water. Once in the water there is a reaction which produces carbonic acid. The carbonic acid is one of the causes of the die off of the coral reefs. If the coral dies off this will be a loss of habitat for fish and other sea creatures. If they die off a major source of protein for the world's human population will be lost. This translates into less nourishment for humans, most of whom are already not properly fed. Bad news for the humans.

Forget warming. Starvation is more serious.

ruveyn

i agree,
though there is a scenario that would be pretty quick.
if the ocean currents ever were to be wacked off balance by something.
the resulting climate change would be relatively quick.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:32 am

I prefer to put less emphasis on how climate change can kill us, as there are so many potential effects, and focus on preventing it, or at least convincing deniers of it's authenticity.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 10:15 am

*edit*

sorry guys. but seriously, what do you think of it?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 11:43 am

Well, what the pictures shows is factual, but you won't satisfy the denialists without good sources
Personally I don't feel too worried about climate change, anthropogenic or not
Frankly, researching the topic is win-win
If it turns out to be true, we can take precautionary steps to secure our civilization, and we also learn a lot about the climate system
If it turns out to be false, the investigation will still be worth it, as we will expand our knowledge of the system greatly, and we will not be doing nothing about what could be a real catastrophe
Denialism is basically postured ignorance. Global Warming goes against the 'common wisdom' of many on the Right. Common Wisdom, of course, is not based on fact, but what is brings one the most personal comfort
So I cannot help but feel for some of them, they want to see the world as they want it, and not as it is. Idealists, but good natured idealists, for the most part

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 2:16 pm

John_Browning wrote:

That about sums it up.
Make up a chart that has the outward appearance of evidence of scientific research and see how it swoons certain people or groups. Even if there is supporting research I have to wonder who did the research and who was filling thier pockts while they did it......

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 2:18 pm

Double posted by accident.
Sorry :?

Last edited by Raptor on 20 Mar 2011, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 2:18 pm

imbatshitcrazy wrote:
*edit*

sorry guys. but seriously, what do you think of it?

That picture says that global warming only effects the United States, so i dont give a crap...sorry.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 2:21 pm

imbatshitcrazy wrote:
Global Cooling

Just fixed it for you.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 2:21 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Well, what the pictures shows is factual, but you won't satisfy the denialists without good sources
Personally I don't feel too worried about climate change, anthropogenic or not
Frankly, researching the topic is win-win
If it turns out to be true, we can take precautionary steps to secure our civilization, and we also learn a lot about the climate system
If it turns out to be false, the investigation will still be worth it, as we will expand our knowledge of the system greatly, and we will not be doing nothing about what could be a real catastrophe
Denialism is basically postured ignorance. Global Warming goes against the 'common wisdom' of many on the Right. Common Wisdom, of course, is not based on fact, but what is brings one the most personal comfort
So I cannot help but feel for some of them, they want to see the world as they want it, and not as it is. Idealists, but good natured idealists, for the most part
Well I'm a right libertarian and I don't really have a stance on global warming since it's just too goddamn confusing and has too many variables. I don't even know where to start with it. I do know that An Inconvenient Truth was disingenuous as s**t since I watched it 4 times in data management back in high school and learned how the statistics were skewed. So I do think some level of skepticism is necessary since there are reasons for having an agenda for both sides. Hell the invention of the term "Climate change" seems disingenuous since it pertains to both cooling and warming rather than just warming.