Page 1 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Nov 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 590
Location: beside you..

20 Mar 2011, 2:29 pm

i know that it might be a weird thing to hear but not like its really gonna happen.. i just really want to know what it is like..
so that i could understand things and also help with things..
and i just really have a certain affinity for it without even being related to anyone in the spectrum.


_________________
"If being in a wrong planet; I think I like your's." :alien:
:mrgreen: NT, knighted :star: Honorary Aspie :star: for my love for an aspie.. :heart:


Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 322

20 Mar 2011, 3:00 pm

This is a flattering thing to hear, but remember that there are serious downsides that go along with the cool parts.



Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,589
Location: Netherlands

20 Mar 2011, 3:07 pm

There is a first for everything, surprised to hear :o.

I've met many persons who work with autistic people, in time they understand bit by bit.
Parents, siblings, proffessionals of degrees, spouses and interested persons. This takes time, alot of time.

Becoming an Asperger is quite difficult because of the spectrum within the diagnosis, you could try to understand more by asking questions and find common grounds, differentiations and unclarities within the persons questioned.


_________________
"It all start with Hoborg, a being who had to create, because... he had to. He make the world full of beauty and wonder. This world, the Neverhood, a world where he could live forever and ever more!"


emlion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,641

20 Mar 2011, 3:09 pm

i'd switch with you in an instant.



Moog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,671
Location: Untied Kingdom

20 Mar 2011, 3:13 pm

Mine's only slightly soiled, cheap price!


_________________
Not currently a moderator


nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,121
Location: Amongst the leaves.

20 Mar 2011, 3:15 pm

Arminius wrote:
This is a flattering thing to hear, but remember that there are serious downsides that go along with the cool parts.


There are no cool parts.



Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,589
Location: Netherlands

20 Mar 2011, 3:19 pm

nemorosa wrote:
Arminius wrote:
This is a flattering thing to hear, but remember that there are serious downsides that go along with the cool parts.


There are no cool parts.


The cool parts' the stuff you can do that are significantly better then the people in your enviroment.

Mostly abstract abilities like math.


_________________
"It all start with Hoborg, a being who had to create, because... he had to. He make the world full of beauty and wonder. This world, the Neverhood, a world where he could live forever and ever more!"


nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,121
Location: Amongst the leaves.

20 Mar 2011, 3:30 pm

Wallourdes wrote:
nemorosa wrote:
Arminius wrote:
This is a flattering thing to hear, but remember that there are serious downsides that go along with the cool parts.


There are no cool parts.


The cool parts' the stuff you can do that are significantly better then the people in your enviroment.

Mostly abstract abilities like math.


Like most people I'm good at some things, worse at others. My skills are in no way derived from Aspergers, nor am I what one could call exceptional in any area. Therefore I see no cool parts.



Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,589
Location: Netherlands

20 Mar 2011, 3:43 pm

nemorosa wrote:
Wallourdes wrote:
nemorosa wrote:
Arminius wrote:
This is a flattering thing to hear, but remember that there are serious downsides that go along with the cool parts.


There are no cool parts.


The cool parts' the stuff you can do that are significantly better then the people in your enviroment.

Mostly abstract abilities like math.


Like most people I'm good at some things, worse at others. My skills are in no way derived from Aspergers, nor am I what one could call exceptional in any area. Therefore I see no cool parts.


There will be some in time.

What are you good at?

Remember your quality of skills is always in a relative sense --> compared to others in your enviroments (collegues, neighbouring persons, etc.).
If you are the only one who can heal a tree, yes your are exceptional in that compared to the others in your enviroment.


_________________
"It all start with Hoborg, a being who had to create, because... he had to. He make the world full of beauty and wonder. This world, the Neverhood, a world where he could live forever and ever more!"


IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 291

20 Mar 2011, 4:41 pm

You can have mine.



purchase
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,385

20 Mar 2011, 4:45 pm

Hi NcNbl!

Are you certain you don't have Asperger's? It seems like anybody drawn so strongly to a community of people with Asperger's and other autistic spectrum conditions might be on the autistic spectrum themselves.



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 105,220
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

20 Mar 2011, 5:06 pm

The cool part for me is being able to be my own person, no matter what the calender year is. 8)


_________________
Peabody

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

20 Mar 2011, 5:20 pm

NcNbl wrote:
i know that it might be a weird thing to hear but not like its really gonna happen.. i just really want to know what it is like..
so that i could understand things and also help with things..
and i just really have a certain affinity for it without even being related to anyone in the spectrum.

Having AS isn't too bad. It would be great if everyone could experience it, if only for a little while :)



jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,931
Location: 미국

20 Mar 2011, 5:28 pm

You can have mine.



Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,253
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

20 Mar 2011, 5:48 pm

I'd trade it away if I could, even if it did mean that I had to give up my special skills.


_________________
"Like lonely ghosts, at a roadside cross, we stay, because we don't know where else to go." -- Orenda Fink


CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Oct 2010
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 157
Location: London

20 Mar 2011, 5:49 pm

I once asked a blind man, "What's it like?"

He said "Shut your eyes. There you go."

If you want to see what it's like to be aspergers, draw a splotch on your forehead then go about your life trying not to think about the splotch, instead try to obsess about alternative explanations for people looking at you funny.

If anyone mentions the splotch, respond by complaining that your 'empathy' does not work properly, thus serving to further alienate yourself, in the name of the experiment.

Have fun x