Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:08 pm

I had a few pinch the crap out of me when I was a kid, but I'm sure that was just because my movements scared them when I was holding them (I was kind of a spazz as a kid). The little spines on their forearms are really sharp!

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 12:56 pm

I've always been afraid of insects. I hate the earwigs, yellow jacket wasps and other nice assorted insects you see in the summer , as well as spiders. It makes gardening such hell because where I have my garden is like a jungle. I rarely see any bees except bumble bees, and mainly see yellow jackets. The buzzing freaks me out.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Mar 2011, 6:39 pm

Xeno wrote:
I find it kind of strange that earwigs freak me out so much.
8O Ewww, earwigs.
Those and fat moths are the only insects that make my blood run cold and my legs go weak.

Ants were a big fascination for a long time, and I can still drift off watching busy wasps arriving and leaving a nest.
Bees are great, and I completely freak out my NT nephews (aged 30 to 42!) by carrying on working in a flowerbed surrounded by buzzing clouds of them. Bees make a nice friendly hummy buzz! :lol:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 6:50 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Xeno wrote:
I find it kind of strange that earwigs freak me out so much.
8O Ewww, earwigs.
Those and fat moths are the only insects that make my blood run cold and my legs go weak.

Ants were a big fascination for a long time, and I can still drift off watching busy wasps arriving and leaving a nest.
Bees are great, and I completely freak out my NT nephews (aged 30 to 42!) by carrying on working in a flowerbed surrounded by buzzing clouds of them. Bees make a nice friendly hummy buzz! :lol:

Just don't aw BUG them!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Mar 2011, 7:26 pm

Nah. Some of my best friends are bees! 8)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 8:22 pm

Nothing to be scared of. Remember you are bigger and heavier than the bugs are.

ruveyn

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 8:25 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Yeah, but something like a brown recluse spider can cause very serious injuries. :P

Butterflies
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2011, 9:10 pm

Very scared of spiders, Hate moths too. Most insects scare the crap out of me. They don't bother me if they're outside, but I can't stand finding them in my house.

The funny thing is, dead insects scare me as much, if not more so, than live ones. I can usually catch and remove a live spider if I really have to, but I have to get someone else to remove dead ones :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Mar 2011, 9:01 am

dunbots wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn
Yeah, but something like a brown recluse spider can cause very serious injuries. :P
But not as serious as this recluse (points at avatar) can cause to a spider. :wink:

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2011, 11:50 am

i wish my step-son would be afraid of insects. he is always playing with them and for the most part it doesn't bother me, i have kept insects before including crickets, praying mantids, stick bugs and worms. the thing is he's not too particular about which insects he decides are going to be his friends and he doesn't seem to be learning his lesson about some, specifically bees. he gets stung at least three or four times every summer and still he wants to catch them and talk to them. then he gets hurt feelings when they sting him and cries "but i thought you were my friend!!"

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:41 pm

I n the house I now live in, We have those huge brown spiders in the fall, they are not skinny but full of muscles and hair, and the first one I saw and tried to kill (and failed) came RUNNING up to me as I was sitting on the couch staring at the hole she had previously disappeared in. I killed it with much swearing , throwing magasines at her from the safety of the coffee table (don't laugh at me) and then I went to google it to make sure my eyes had not decieved me, the spider was out to kill me. Well what do you think i found under the definition of said spider? ( something like european brown basement spider or something, it was french): "contrary to the legend attached to them, they do not chase people around the house".

YES.

THEY DO.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 3:46 pm

I thought that this said something else.

Mithra
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2011, 3:35 am

EEEEK!

I probably would have had a heart attack! I hate hate hate killing anything, bug or not (I cried over a daddy longlegs my grandmother killed). But this, yes it would have gone. I am terrified of spiders. I usually try to catch them and deposit them outside, but if they are fast and running at me, I will freak out and squish. I always feel guilty though.

ediself wrote:
I n the house I now live in, We have those huge brown spiders in the fall, they are not skinny but full of muscles and hair, and the first one I saw and tried to kill (and failed) came RUNNING up to me as I was sitting on the couch staring at the hole she had previously disappeared in. I killed it with much swearing , throwing magasines at her from the safety of the coffee table (don't laugh at me) and then I went to google it to make sure my eyes had not decieved me, the spider was out to kill me. Well what do you think i found under the definition of said spider? ( something like european brown basement spider or something, it was french): "contrary to the legend attached to them, they do not chase people around the house".

YES.

THEY DO.