Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Konpaku
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2011, 8:27 am

There are several things which cause me great distress, uncomfort and sometimes even illness and pain. The most important one would be strangers brushing up against me or otherwise unexpectedly touching me.

What would be the best way to explain this to NTs so they refrain? People have just criticized me as being "sensitive", advising me to "wise up". Even within my own family I can't fully explain it.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 8:29 am

I hate people doing this too.
I just tell them outright 'sorry, i can't stand people touching me' and they generally seem to go 'oh okay, sorry' and it's okay.

Although it's harder in crowds, so i just keep out of them.

Nathalie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2011, 3:35 pm

I also really hate this. When someone in my class is sitting to close to my, just touching my elbow, I spend the whole lesson trying to avoid contact. It makes me feel like running away, and trapped because I can't just run out of class like that. Somehow it makes me really angry and irritated, but I make sure no-one notices it. At the end of the lesson I have no Idea what there's been said...
I also hate traveling in trains or busses for this reason, just don't want people next to me.

It's really hard to explain I think... If you know how to do that, let me know! :wink:

mikeseagle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 4:02 pm

Nathalie wrote:
I also really hate this. When someone in my class is sitting to close to my, just touching my elbow, I spend the whole lesson trying to avoid contact. It makes me feel like running away, and trapped because I can't just run out of class like that. Somehow it makes me really angry and irritated, but I make sure no-one notices it. At the end of the lesson I have no Idea what there's been said...
I also hate traveling in trains or busses for this reason, just don't want people next to me.

It's really hard to explain I think... If you know how to do that, let me know! :wink:

I agree with you. Anyone sitting too close make me anxious. But there are times when I cannot avoid it and just put up with it. Try a 15 hour flight from Sydney to Los Angles. I'm about ready to go insane by the time we touch down. But its the only way I can go home to see my family so there is nothing I can do about it.

If its a social situation like a party or family get together then I will move over if someone sits to close to me. If they insist on sitting close to me then I politely ask them to move over a little bit. If they ask me why then I just tell them I cannot stand people to close to me or touching me in any way. If they don't understand, then I just stand my ground and say that just the why I feel and I'm not trying to be rude.

But to the OP, it is hard sometimes to get some people to understand. I wouldn't let them bully you into thinking that your sensitive or to "wise up". They do not need to understand why you feel that way, that just the way you are and feel. They should respect your personal boundaries regardless of the reason. With some people you just have to stand your ground to make them understand. :P