Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Starfish_Savers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2011, 11:24 am

Hi all!

We are about to start a meet-up group for people with aspergers/high functioning autism and other social difficulties in Northern Virginia. Groups are going to be age specific (14-17 and 18-23). We are planning to teach some social skills, in particular how to organize an event/ get together with friends.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any ice-breaker suggestions or fun game ideas to take the edge off meeting new people. My main priority for this group is to have fun and help people make new friends.

Thank you in advance to anyone who has ideas!!

Nick (Social Skills Coach at Starfish Savers)

Nathalie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2011, 2:56 pm

There are a lot of games to get to know eachother... For instance this one:

First everyone introduces theirselfs short. (name, age, interests, what did you eat for breakfast?)
Everybody is sitting in a circle, one in the middle has a newspaper rolled up in his hand. One starts calling another person's name (not the name of the person in the middle), the one in the middle has to find this person and hit him/her with the paper before that person calls another name.
When the person in the middle succeeds to 'hit' someone with the paper in time, they change. (person that was hit is going to stand in the middle). The person who used to stand in the middle is taking the emty seat and calling a name to start the game again.
By the end of the game everybody knows eachothers names, and it's a really fun game. When the group is larger, you can vary by putting two persons in the middle.

marymarymary
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2011, 7:02 pm

Hi Nick,
As a speech therapist I created a simple but very effective product that aids in friendship making, promotes natural turn taking and allows people to get to know each other in a fun new way. THUMBALL is the perfect ice breaker and conversation starter at meetings, workshops, classrooms and gatherings.

Ice Breaker, Who Are You, Meet & Greet or Best-Worst-First are some perfect choices for your group event. Google thumball and you are sure to find us to see more and if you are interested contact me and I will provide a generous discount code for you.

Thumball has a facebook page where I recently posted a link to great conversation starter questions and other useful info so please use at will and best success at your upcoming event!!

I love asking people the story behind their name, it always provided interesting insights into the person and we all have a story even it is just that the parents liked the sound of it!! So Nick, How was your name chosen for your? I am named for my Grandmother but then our family had a falling out and I never got to know her! Strange but true!
Mary