Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 8:17 pm

Anyone else here into industrial, industrial rock, industrial metal, nu-metal and the like?

I feel like I'm kind of alone here in my musical taste. I'm not into most of the music that people here seem to like a lot. I don't really consider pretty much any music that was made before the 90s to be anything particularly great or special in some way. Not 'crunchy' enough for me, really. I like music with a prominent bass line and heavy rhythm, with a strong back-beat. Most pre-90s music doesn't really have that, or enough of it, to catch my interest.

I like bands like Celldweller, Nine Inch Nails, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson, SAM, and a bunch of others along those lines. And I may like nu-metal, but by no means do I like straight-up rap and hip hop. Nor do I like "core" music, like death-, black-, doom-, and other kinds of wall-of-noise metal, either; that includes screamo. I'm pretty much a straight-up current rock and metal guy, with those exceptions.

Anyone else here with similar tastes?

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 8:43 pm

I am one of the few metalheads on these forums, so yeah, although most of what you have mentioned I consider alternative, but whatev.

The metal/related bands currently for me would be...

Iron Maiden
Slayer
Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Tool
Dream Theater
Elvenking
Arcturus (Love the fact that they are one of the most unique things out there. Love thier Edgar Allen Poe inspired songs such as Alone)
Axenstar
In This Moment
The Agonist
OT3P
Bullet for my Valentine (Prefer their lighter stuff)
Vintersorg (Black/Folk Metal)
Ensiferum (not black metal or death metal, they are folk metal. Get it right XD)
Korpiklaani (best drinking songs around)
Tyr
Amon Amarth (I view them the same as I do Ensiferum)
Ulver (Personally love their Ambient stuff, but they transcend genres)

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

tomboywriter101
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: In my writing, where things are the way I want them

21 Mar 2011, 8:55 pm

Enter Sandman by Metallica

Agree: 4,6,13,16,18,19,20,22,39,41,45: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,10,11,14,17,27,30,32,36,38,44,47,48,49: 1 point
Score: 26

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 9:40 pm

anything beyond slipknot, motorhead, pantera or metallica is a no-no for me.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 9:40 pm

I am dreadful when it comes to genres... I am not sure if these are what you mean, but I dig on a wide variety of music including things like...

Puscifer
NIN
MSI
Combichrist
Tool
Ministry
Pigface
Snake River Conspiracy

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 9:50 pm

I do like metal & hard rock. There are too many sub-genres of either that I like to be worth naming off.
A few years back my friend and I would entertain ourselves by inventing metal genres, new ones apparently cropping up all the time :D

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 5:30 pm

Vigilans wrote:
I do like metal & hard rock. There are too many sub-genres of either that I like to be worth naming off.
A few years back my friend and I would entertain ourselves by inventing metal genres, new ones apparently cropping up all the time :D

yeah I know exactly what ya mean. To me metal is metal.

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2011, 5:43 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Agreed!! The amount of bickering and quarreling that takes place in the comments section of YouTube clips of metal, pertaining to what the exact genre of said clips belongs, is amusing to say the least.

To the O.P.; I concur with DemonAbyss10 in the fact that I wouldn't really call your list heavy or aggresive. As a matter of fact, that type of music is similar to what I started listening to years ago, before I gradually became interested in more dark and aggressive sounds.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 7:37 pm

ASMJT wrote:
To the O.P.; I concur with DemonAbyss10 in the fact that I wouldn't really call your list heavy or aggresive.

I never said it was on the level of death metal or thrash metal (neither of which I actually like, anyway) but it's certainly more-so than the 60s/70s/80s rock and whatever else most people around here seem to listen to regularly. Have a listen to some earlier work by some of the artists I listed off, and you'll hear some pretty crunchy and aggressive guitar work and prominent bass lines, along with some aggressive sythns, as well. And not the (in my opinion) stupid open-chug stuff that usually gets praised as heavy and aggressive in most metal fandom- it all sounds almost exactly the same, to me.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 8:12 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

No! Its Post-Transylvanian Thrash-Bloodcore! Sheesh
:P 8)

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 4:05 am

Vigilans wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

No! Its Post-Transylvanian Thrash-Bloodcore! Sheesh
:P 8)

At first I was liek -_-, then I was liek XD.

On a more serious note. @OP. Doesn't mean its not aggressive, so yeah I do agree with that. Not gonna really hammer your dislike of the really heavy stuff though. It is a bit of an aquired taste for some people. And it isn't a wall of noise IMO. I can easily pick out individual notes, melodies and other musical nuances. In actuality Quite a bit in the way of metal, especially progressive pieces (dream theater being a big one) have quite a bit in the way of musical complexity. In fact there are plenty that enjoy classical music, and plenty of classical music lovers who like metal. That is something I have noticed anyways.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 1:18 pm

I dig Tool and APC a lot, and some NIN.

I think I'm more into dense/tense/moody atmospheres than just pure pounding heaviness though.

motherof2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2011, 5:33 pm

I am mostly into Progressive Metal and some Progressive Rock. Point being progressive music and something that is different and combines many genres. If I can dance to it than it is not what I want to hear. I am currently into Pain of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Cloverseeds, and Ahoora. Someone mentioned Dream Theatre and along the same vein Fates Warning.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 5:53 pm

Zokk, ever tried older Skinny Puppy? Try listening to Last Rights or VIVISectVI, they're 1990 and 1988 respectively but really solid stuff, years ahead of Trent and the stylizing of the beats and subject matter is much more my liking (think industrial with personality more in line with Tool).
Industrial like that is tops, I think its actually overdue to come back, I just hate, I mean HATE a bunch of idiots trying to scream over really old trance tunes and call it industrial.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 2:41 pm

I am happy that I saved 60 USDs for the Accept's concert in May. I liked their last cd and I remember that when I was a teen I liked their music. Will the new singer be as good as UDO? I'm curious about Saxon's new album. I am their fan and also liked very much their last cd "Into the Labirinth"! I'm happy they returned to their orginal sound after years of pop-metal. Yesterday Iron Maiden played in my town but I didn't go to the show. It was too expensive and my friend only said that he wanted to go with me one day before the show.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

02 May 2011, 10:31 pm

The Used, Thursday, and Combichrist are great bands. Love me some Screamo!