Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 6:56 am

what is your opinion on memes, do you beleive in them or do you think its tosh? Should Dawkins have stuck with genetics and should Blackmore have stuck with psychology?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zlk03

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 8:10 am

lotusblossom wrote:
what is your opinion on memes, do you beleive in them or do you think its tosh? Should Dawkins have stuck with genetics and should Blackmore have stuck with psychology?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zlk03

Some ideas do have traits which allow them to survive in minds easier, so yes, I think the idea is legit. But it isn't hard science

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 8:24 am

The meme is a handy concept. However much work needs to be done to establish a hard core neuro-physiological basis.

ruveyn

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 9:09 am

ruveyn wrote:
The meme is a handy concept. However much work needs to be done to establish a hard core neuro-physiological basis.

ruveyn

I think that's why Dawkin's threw the idea out there; for the Sociologists and Linguists to play with. I think that a few books have been written on the concept.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 9:18 am

It looks interesting. I've never heard of it before. It makes sense that there are certain memes that people copy (or are expected to copy).

hill-o-beans
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2011, 9:23 am

I find it hard to get my head round the definition of what a meme is. But i do agree with it as far as I can understand it. I read about a sci fi novel that is coming out about a character who sees the world in "spiral dynamics"

"Spiral Dynamics argues that human nature is not fixed: humans are able, when forced by life conditions, to adapt to their environment by constructing new, more complex, conceptual models of the world that allow them to handle the new problems. Each new model includes and transcends all previous models. According to Beck and Cowan, these conceptual models are organized around so-called Memes: systems of core values or collective intelligences, applicable to both individuals and entire cultures."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 10:08 am

As I understand it a "meme" is the same thing that used to be called "a motiff".

A pattern of design on pottery, the plot line of a folktale, a figure of speech, a melody, wearing baseball caps backwards, are all "motiffs".

They can be traced through time or they can move sideways from culture to culture across the map.

Dawkins took the old concept and then recast it in the image of "the gene" in biological heridity to suggest that motiffs act like genes in evolution.

The idea needs some work.

The biological "gene" is itsself largely a mythic construct. More of a handy short hand than a real thing that can be pointed to in nature.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 10:21 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The biological "gene" is itsself largely a mythic construct. More of a handy short hand than a real thing that can be pointed to in nature.

Well, doctors do have specific molecules to look at. Not so with memes.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 10:59 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Genes are replacible nuclide sequences on the DNA chain.

They are physical and they can now be identified right down to their spelling G A T C.

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 12:59 pm

ruveyn wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

They are physical and they can now be identified right down to their spelling G A T C.

ruveyn

Not really.
you're talking about a "cistron", not a gene.
A cistron is an actual stretch of DNA that codes for a specific protien molecule.
A cistron is a real stretch of DNA that dictates an actual protien molecule.

A gene, however, is the DNA involved in the creation of a characteristic on a living body.

Various stretches of DNA that are not even adjacent to each other and maybe spread out on various chromosomes maybe involved in creating a visible characteristic ( like eye color). These spread out stretches of molecules would be "the gene". But calling them that would be an arbitrary human construct.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:53 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

ruveyn

Not really.
you're talking about a "cistron", not a gene.
A cistron is an actual stretch of DNA that codes for a specific protien molecule.
A cistron is a real stretch of DNA that dictates an actual protien molecule.

A gene, however, is the DNA involved in the creation of a characteristic on a living body.

Various stretches of DNA that are not even adjacent to each other and maybe spread out on various chromosomes maybe involved in creating a visible characteristic ( like eye color). These spread out stretches of molecules would be "the gene". But calling them that would be an arbitrary human construct.

Definition of a gene:

(genetics) a segment of DNA that is involved in producing a polypeptide chain; it can include regions preceding and following the coding DNA as well as introns between the exons; it is considered a unit of heredity; "genes were formerly called factors"

ruveyn

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 4:58 pm

Memetics? Yes I think so. It seems clear that even in my own head, some ideas have more staying power than others.