Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 1:53 pm

In the United Kingdom, do they mimic American accents?
As you probably know, we Americans mimic British ones often, so I wonder if they mimic ours in England.

Hmm.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 1:56 pm

^^ Greetings jmnixon95. ^^ I am very sorry jmnixon95 as I am not certain if many British humans enjoys mimicking American accents. ^^ However I do believe that I have indeed head a number of happy humans imitating this accent, including my happy sister and Brother-in-Law.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:00 pm

occasionally, in my experience, but generally the accent is 'old' now.. plus hugh laurie does it for us ;) rory bremner does a great george bush junior. :)

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:00 pm

The british Youtubers do it all the time and it's just annoying tbh.
Most of the british are influenced by the Americans (well some anyways).

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:01 pm

Nice to know my accent is old. Heeee.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:04 pm

old, like it was once seemingly much more popular to mimic american accents, especially californian.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:04 pm

Another question:

When they do mimic Americans, what kind of accent do they do? The slow Southern ones, for instance, or the really rapid, fast New England ones? Despite being raised in the South, I have 'no accent' in America (probably because my family isn't "Southern"; I live in Atlanta) and I sound like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-zbXlIk-I&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

hill-o-beans
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2011, 2:07 pm

There is a classic pop duo called Jedward who do it.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:07 pm

In what context? Do you mean if we're mucking around and trying to make people laugh, or are you referring to losing our own accents and unconsciously becoming more and more American?

Slight hijack here: the latter is true not in terms of accent, but in terms of vocabulary. The HUGE amount of Americanisms that have infiltrated thanks to Hollywood are SERIOUSLY getting on my nerves. My least favourite one is:

"What are you doing Saturday?"

to which my answer would be:

"My name's not Saturday, and right now I'm not really doing much at all, except typing on a forum."

But that's just the answer I give people inside my head. I can't really say it, because they will have no idea what on earth I am talking about.

In British English we are supposed to use prepositions with the days of the week. The question ought to be:

"What are you doing on Saturday?"

I have no objection to Americans talking like Americans, or Brits talking like Brits. Neither form of English is right or wrong - they're just different. Both is correct within its own environment. It just bothers me that our language is losing its identity.

Of course, people assure me it's just "evolving."

I see. :roll:

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:10 pm

all_white wrote:
In what context? Do you mean if we're mucking around and trying to make people laugh, or are you referring to losing our own accents and unconsciously becoming more and more American?

Slight hijack here: the latter is true not in terms of accent, but in terms of vocabulary. The HUGE amount of Americanisms that have infiltrated thanks to Hollywood are SERIOUSLY getting on my nerves. My least favourite one is:

"What are you doing Saturday?"

to which my answer would be:

"My name's not Saturday, and right now I'm not really doing much at all, except typing on a forum."

But that's just the answer I give people inside my head. I can't really say it, because they will have no idea what on earth I am talking about.

In British English we are supposed to use prepositions with the days of the week. The question ought to be:

"What are you doing on Saturday?"

I have no objection to Americans talking like Americans, or Brits talking like Brits. Neither form of English is right or wrong - they're just different. Both is correct within its own environment. It just bothers me that our language is losing its identity.

Of course, people assure me it's just "evolving."

I see. :roll:

Oh, please. Stop complaining.
Have you heard our Ebonics?

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:10 pm

slow southern & valley girl/surfer-stoner guy, like bill &ted, were the most common in fudo's experience.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:14 pm

It's very very hard for me to mimic an American accent.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:22 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dABo_DCIdpM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:27 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dABo_DCIdpM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Mah reply

12. That's not the general accent. It's the midwestern one. And we don't say "take the piss."
13. Accurate lol
14. Sounds like my cousin.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:51 pm

Until I spent time over your side of the pond. I found it rather difficult to distinguish between americain and canadian accents. You all seemed to be one hemogenous group of voices with the odd characture accent. But over time I began to also pick up the regional dialects that distinguish different parts of the US from each other.

Due to the number of imported television shows that actually feature canadian actors playing "americain" characters I imagine is the source of my original difficulty in percieving accents from that part of the world.

The differences are more subtle than the vast array of regional dialects we have here in the UK were driving an hour up the road can have people speaking differently. We also have oddities like certain regional dialects from where I used to live (Yorkshire) had lots of words that were actually scandinavian in origin (i.e. a legacy of viking occupation and migration)

The field of socio-linguistics is quite fascinating

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 2:52 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:

Mah reply

12. That's not the general accent. It's the midwestern one. And we don't say "take the piss."
13. Accurate lol
14. Sounds like my cousin.

cool :lol: