Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2011, 5:17 pm

since I was small I've collected rocks. as a teenager I got hardcore into learning about the conditions that would have created all of these different rocks, but that's subsided now. I still have my rock collection, but have given my rocks a home in my garden. Every once in while I'll be gardening and come across a buried treasure..the egg shaped rock I got when I was 6, the rock that my friend sent me from the beach in Halifax, etc.

I also collect seeds in the fall, the intention is to sow them with wild abandon in the spring or share them with others to sow, but they often end up in little paper packets all over my house...

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2011, 5:40 pm

I had a collection of rocks when I was younger. I want more now...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 9:21 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I collect DVDs. At the moment I have 55 of them. I would like to purchase more, but I feel as though I am running out of movies I want to buy. :(

a subscription to netflix will give you lots of ideas.

albertwesker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Mar 2011, 9:42 pm

video games
movies

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 9:54 pm

I cannot resist gemstone beads. I'm talking about stuff like this, not the delicate faceted gems which are way more expensive. I try not to let myself buy them though, because I don't actually wear them or do anything with them other than look at them and touch them.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 1:20 am

I just bought a $14.99 stuffed animal just big enough top fit in the palm of my hand just to add to my collection.
:oops: :oops:

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 3:10 am

Am I the only odd one out of the bunch who collected such off the wall things?

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 7:02 am

Ever since I was a child, I've collected toy lizards, toy dinosaurs, rocks, bottle caps, seashells, and writing implements. Over the years my parents had to get rid of some of the bottle caps, seashells and rocks (I had several large boxes filled with just rocks)--I've managed to limit my collections somewhat now that I'm in my twenties.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 8:09 am

* Coconuts (I had a 'family' of 5, including a 'dog' and they all had names and I treated them like my friends. I got them when I was about 4 or 5 years old, and I still have them too! Although all the milk has gone hard inside, and it makes a 'thud' sound when they are shaken....)

* Dinosaur toys (about 200, not sure of the exact amount. Again I still have these and they all had names, many of which I still remember.)

* Dinosaur Books / magazines

* Fossils (mainly Ammonites, Trilobites, some dinosaur coprolites, bone, teeth etc.)

* Beano comics

* Spiderman merchandise

* Horrible Histories magazines

* Guitars ( I had 7 at one point, none were particularly special though.)

* Military equipment

* Knives

* Nunchucks ( I need to re-build this collection, as many of my nunchucks are now broken....)

* DVDs (various Box-sets, movies etc.)

* CDs (about 100 or so that I listen to. Also a small but much loved recent collection of Buckethead CDs, which I fully intend to build on.)

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 8:20 am

daydreamer84 wrote:

That’s a lot of collecting! I collected Harry Potter related stuff a couple years ago too.....but the obsession didn't last long so I don't have too much.......

I wanted to start collecting it too a couple of years back but it was already when it started to be out of fashion so I couldn't find anything HP related in stores - not the things I wanted, at least (like figurines). Now I don't collect anything for a few years. I do buy things relating to the fields of my interests but I can't call it a real collection. The last time it was when I bought some Tinkerbell franchise and Marvel stuff like last year. Recently I was very into Anne Rice's books and if I could buy her vampires related collectibles in Poland, I would. If HP was fashionable, I would buy them as well.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Mar 2011, 12:23 pm

emuman100 wrote:
Am I the only odd one out of the bunch who collected such off the wall things?

You're not alone... I collect a few WEIRD things, including some which you also collect!

Old TV sets from the 1940s & 50s, although that collection has waned in the last 20 years. They got too valuable to "just keep", so I sold off most of them.

I also have a collection of very rare Toyota cars & trucks from the 1980s with Diesel engines. Only a few were sold here in the USA, and I have one each of all of them! I also "needed" a Cadillac and a Buick with the Diesel option, and I got those too.

The weirdest collection is my Cold War air raid sirens... Not little hand-crank ones, but the enormous ones that you see ontop of phone poles on the street! I have 5 of those, ranging from 500 lbs to 1200 lbs.

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider on 27 Mar 2011, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwannabeadragon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2011, 3:00 pm

When I was 8-12 I collected Ty Beanie Babies. I have 300+.
From about 10-14 I collected the Abby Hayes and Junie B. Jones book series. (Which, by the way, I still read very often because they're funny.)
From about 10 until now I collect Coca-Cola merchandise. My Grandpa helps a lot because he's been working at the Coke bottling place for over 25 years. So, most of the collection is his.

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2011, 6:08 pm

this is a little bizarre and embarrassing (and perhaps a little off-putting, so don't say you weren't warned) but as a kid I used to pick at my skin...scabs, hangnails, unruly hairs, etc. and I would save the scabs, sticking them to a piece of cellophane tape, for closer inspection at a later time. I only recall this now because my 15 year old niece confided in me recently that SHE'S DOING THE EXACT SAME THING. I'd never mentioned this to anyone, as I'd completely forgotten about it. weird, huh?

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 6:22 pm

sandrana wrote:
this is a little bizarre and embarrassing (and perhaps a little off-putting, so don't say you weren't warned) but as a kid I used to pick at my skin...scabs, hangnails, unruly hairs, etc. and I would save the scabs, sticking them to a piece of cellophane tape, for closer inspection at a later time. I only recall this now because my 15 year old niece confided in me recently that SHE'S DOING THE EXACT SAME THING. I'd never mentioned this to anyone, as I'd completely forgotten about it. weird, huh?

This is completely disgusting...but I remember once when I was ten, I got on the monkey bars and ripped the skin off of the palms of my hands (as per usual) and decided to keep it and watch it decay. I kept it with my microscope and looked at it every day for about a month. Then I forgot about it. About two years ago my mom was de-cluttering the house and found my old microscope...opened one of the bottles that came with it...and nearly threw up. The skin had liquified and was putrid. My mom asked me what it was and I was like "Oh my god...it's my skin.". We both kind of shuddered and she threw the entire thing out (which was fine with me). 8O

goldiemarie
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2011, 6:37 pm

I used to collect pigs. When I was younger I used to collect barbies and Goosebumps books.

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2011, 1:49 am

Horror Movie Magazines: Fangoria (almost the entire run), Rue Morgue, Horrorhound, Famous Monsters of Filmland
80's Horror VHS tapes
Super-8mm Vintage Movie Cameras and accessories

Collections in their genesis:
Fossilized Sharks' Teeth
Antique, 1st Edition Books (mainly covering topics related to my special interests)