Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

How stable are your abilities?
I learn things linearly and they stay learned 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
I improve with big lurches and periods of stagnation 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
I gain and lose abilities that usually stay gained/lost 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I rarely gain or lose any abilities at all 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Mostly normal, but I sometimes go backwards (regress) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
I make tradeoffs-- I can have one ability OR another 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I make permanent tradeoffs-- forever give up one ability for another 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
I mostly learn linearly, but lose abilities during shutdowns 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I mostly learn linearly, but stress often makes me less able to do things 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
My abilities fluctuate wildly-- what I can do today says nothing about tomorrow 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
I have some stable abilities, some that fluctuate or require tradeoffs 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
I have stable abilities but some cause pain to use so I limit my use of them 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other, multiple or don't know 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 5:11 pm

Not how good they are. Just how stable. If you say they don't change, that's because they don't change; doesn't matter if you can always do calculus or never know what a number is. I'm not asking for how good you are, but for how much it varies.

Mine are pretty stable. My executive function predictably starts out half-decent and over the course of a day invariably is almost totally lost except during my "second wind." Other than that I mostly just learn things and they stay learned. Sometimes I forget unused knowledge. So my abilities today are probably pretty close to my abilities tomorrow. Tomorrow I may be slightly better, but probably not over such a short period of time.

On the other hand, for some people, abilities today say nothing about abilities tomorrow. And for some people, they learn and are solid on what they learn, but they learn really fast and really rarely. Some people report shutdowns.

Stress, of course, negatively impacts most people's abilities. But here it's kind of a question of degree. I'd still say your abilities are linear if, faced with great trauma, your social skills fly out the window while you're melting down over something really, really awful. But if your abilities are unusually vulnerable to stress...

So just answer what fits you best. (If you have regressions and lose abilities, but these are abilities that are NORMALLY lost, like the ability to soak up a new language in just a couple of years just from hearing people using it, then consider yourself to not lose abilities. Even though that makes no sense at all.)

NOT A DOCTOR

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2011, 5:40 pm

I can't really vote anything but other for this one, cause my answer will be:

I learn things linearly and they stay learned, but lose abilities during shutdowns, and stress often makes me less able to do things.
Even then, what I can do today says nothing about tomorrow. You just never know, cause I might have a really bad day. It tends to come back though.

EDIT:
Just for clearity. I lose abilities during(!) shutdown, which means not permanently, but I have experienced permanently loss before, in these situations. Though this would be better classified as regression.
The thing about tomorrow, is mainly caused by stress.

Other than this I have a pretty sticky memory and I don't even have to try for things to stick. It just does.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 6:05 pm

I have the ability to instill paranoia into everybody in general without even trying. :twisted:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 11:14 pm

i have to pound things into my noggin to learn them, and even then it is iffy. would that i could just read something [or try something] once and learn it like normal people. :roll: