Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

When does the difference in the pictures "jump out" at you?
When the faces are both upside down 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
When the faces are both right side up 43%  43%  [ 21 ]
It never really jumps out at me 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
It jumps out at me in both pictures 41%  41%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 49

grad_girl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2011, 10:42 pm

Hey guys,

Here's a cool optical illusion: http://www.exploratorium.edu/exhibits/mona/mona.html

A question for all of you: does that illusion work for you? As you can see, it expects the difference to "jump out" at you in the bottom set of pictures, but not in the top (upside down) set. Do you experience that or not?

Edit: When I say "the difference in the pictures" I do mostly mean the eyes, not the mouth. Sorry about the vague poll question!

Last edited by grad_girl on 24 Mar 2011, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2011, 10:56 pm

I picked 'didn't jump out at me' because I've done so many of these things that when I saw the upside down pictures I could tell something was different with the one on the left but not what. Right side up I did notice one was smiling and the other frowning but I didn't catch how they altered it til I read the whole thing and even though I did notice a difference when they were right side up the differences didn't 'jump out' at me in my opinion.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 11:14 pm

The mouth jumped out at me immediately, but I didn't notice the difference in the eyes until the picture was flipped, possibly because I spend so much time looking at people's mouths.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:15 am

chaotik_lord wrote:
The mouth jumped out at me immediately, but I didn't notice the difference in the eyes until the picture was flipped, possibly because I spend so much time looking at people's mouths.

same here.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 7:05 am

Huh. The mouth did because that jumped out at me. You can't ask a question like that and then specify WHICH part jumps out at you. :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 1:04 pm

I looked and then saw the difference in the lips when I looked down. I also turned my laptop upside down to see the change at the top and the same thing happened. I did the same with the bottom too to see the picture below change back.

I didn't notice the eyes until I read this thread. :oops: I guess I even lack eye contact in photos :wink:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 2:48 pm

ediself wrote:
chaotik_lord wrote:

same here.

ditto

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2011, 4:35 pm

Yeah it worked for me. Upside down they both look normal to me but right side up the 2nd one looks weird. I noticed the difference in eyes but didn't notice the mouth.

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2011, 4:38 pm

Heres a cool optical illusion
to me the table on the left looks thinner and longer than the one on the right but measuring them with a ruler, they have the same dimensions. Optical illusions always work on me. People with autism are supposed to be able to spot details better than they can see the big picture but thats not the case for me. This is pretty cool too
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/right- ... 1114603615
I can only see her turn clockwise, I can't seem to see her going anticlockwise even if I try. What about all of you? I'm ambidextrous so I probably have a relatively well developed corpus callosum which may be why I'm good at manipulating logic despite displaying all the traits of a right brain thinker.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 4:59 pm

Mona Lisa: saw the difference in just the eyes when both upside-down, difference in eyes and mouth when right-side up.

Table illusion: yes, they appear to be different lengths--I think there's a line illusion that does the same thing (lines the same length but one has arrowheads pointing inwards on each end and the other has arrowheads pointing outwards on each end).

Spinning dancer: I see her turning clockwise and I'm right-handed, which seems kind of odd. 8O

I took an online brain-dominance test once and the two sides were VERY close to being equal.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

tksteph
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2011, 5:51 pm

cnidocyte wrote:
I can only see her turn clockwise, I can't seem to see her going anticlockwise even if I try. What about all of you? I'm ambidextrous so I probably have a relatively well developed corpus callosum which may be why I'm good at manipulating logic despite displaying all the traits of a right brain thinker.

I naturally see her switch back and forth pretty quickly. If I close my eyes quickly I can control which way she spins. It's fun to play around with, you can time when she switches and it looks like a different kind of dance almost.

For Mona Lisa I saw the mouth quickly, but not the eyes when it was upside down.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 7:00 pm

cnidocyte wrote:
Heres a cool optical illusion
to me the table on the left looks thinner and longer than the one on the right but measuring them with a ruler, they have the same dimensions. Optical illusions always work on me. People with autism are supposed to be able to spot details better than they can see the big picture but thats not the case for me. This is pretty cool too

Those don't fool me because I know they are the same length. That's what makes it an illusion because one looks wider/longer than the other.

The person moving her leg, I see both. I see clockwise and then she changed direction and then back to clockwise again. Does that mean I use both left and right of my brain? But I mostly see clockwise.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 7:02 pm

Neither stood out...?

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2011, 7:05 pm

Mona Lisa, I noticed the eyes and not the mouth on the top picture. They were both obvious on the bottom right-side up picture.

The tables, yeah the left one looks longer.

The dancer, at first she was going clockwise but after I read the description on her left she started spinning counter-clockwise. I had to close and open my eyes a few times to get her going clock-wise again.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 11:45 pm

Yeah, they were both different. I just automatically saw the differences, because I tend to see details like that. I think I might have mentally rotated the top pictures, but I think I did so after I noticed they were different.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2011, 11:56 pm

I didn't notice the eyes until mentioned here. Didn't notice the mouth until it was right-side up.