Are there any people with asperger's syndrome who have conve

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2011, 12:03 am

Are there any people with asperger's syndrome who have converted to Islam I ask this as a person with asperger's syndrome who wants to become a Muslim I think Islam is the most beautiful Religion and way of life ?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 3:20 am

mikecartwright wrote:
Are there any people with asperger's syndrome who have converted to Islam I ask this as a person with asperger's syndrome who wants to become a Muslim I think Islam is the most beautiful Religion and way of life ?

Have any Aspies taken up Orthodox Judaism. That is a very rule based religion.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 12:21 am

Aspies are like anyone else. They can be attracted to a specific religion, or not.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 12:37 am

Yes, there was one in the past.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 3:15 am

mikecartwright wrote:

There is nothing beautiful about religion which you can't see in anything outside of it.

Don't fall into the trap. You might like it now but you'll regret it later ... when it's usually too late to just let go of it with ease.

FatihQashif
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2011, 1:12 am

mikecartwright wrote:

From personal experience (being a revert who discovered Islam in 2004 at age 24) I would say, if you decide to become muslim - simply do your best and start with the required basics ([#1] the belief -then- praying 5 times a day at the required times -then- fasting during the month of Ramadan [which in 2011 falls almost in the month of August - Islam has a different calendar (called Hijri Calendar) which they go by with different days & months, compared to the Gregorian Calendar)]

What you may notices as someone with Aspergers is once you get involved with the Islamic community there maybe a lot of opportunity to help out as a volunteer as you will see that there are a lot of extra/voluntary things that need to be done - I would personally recommend in the beginning staying away from the voluntary and extra things and focus on the obligatory/recommended matters.... Once you get comfortable with the obligations then help out with volunteering. Reason I say that is from personal experience there are a LOT of unattended matters which as someone which Aspergers you will noticed straight away and will have good intention to want to do it and complete it because of one's love for the religion..... But the thing is other's (who do not have Aspergers) will not see it this way as they maybe more preoccupied with work and family and other social matters - and this may cause you anxiety/stress/frustration

And if you do decide to tell the local community or masjid [mosque] do be relaxed and keep it simple an take it easy, and also if you decide to tell other's whom you meet that you have Asperger's Syndrome - be confident as you say it and don't be ashamed of it (as it is a 'test' for you from 'The Creator' [Allah]). Reason I say this is because if one does not mention it confidently the people you meet who do not understand the syndrome may simply say that [1] "you are worrying too much" [2] "there is not such thing as all these syndromes - and it's an excuse for people to act as they feel like" [3] "this is just your desire's wanting to act out as they feel" [4] "there is no aspergers, just the devil/satan convincing you that you have this syndrome"

Also another reason I say to stick to the basics and do the best you can is - from my experience people will have a good intention to help you but may recommend or tell you to do something that is too hard for you to do due to Aspergers but is very easy for them.... And also currently there is a "lot" of differece of opinion as to how something should be done islamically - so this may confuse and frustrate you (coz I know it certainly did with me, and still does)

So pretty much in summary - if you decide to become Muslim (and I sincerely hope you do), just take it easy and do your best and work from the foundation (step 1, 2, 3, 4., 5....) and keep asking within one's self for help from the only One that can Help (Allah) (eg: "O Allah make it easy for me with what I am going through - help me get throught this and give me patience").... And finally if you decide to take the next step visit the closest mosque or islamic centre and speak to someone and continuously keep in contact person to person as best as you can - and I would highly recommend not to use 'google/internet' to learn about Islam.... And as you have said in your post, I personally did find it to be the most beautiful and best way of life to live an gave me all the answers that I was looking for in my late teen's and early 20's and continuously even in my 30's answers and blessing keep coming

I wish you all the best.... Allah guides to the truth whom He wills