Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 6:39 am

hale_bopp wrote:
The OP doesn't mention god? So? Half a dozen other people did, thats why I posted it.

"god is a troll"
"god has a sick sense of humour"

and the thread title "God is an idiot" implies he does think about "god" doing bad things.

I guess it really didn't bother me because a) it was funny and b) I'd rather hear people roll with the punches or laugh things off than complain any day. Sometimes with life in general if you don't laugh you'll cry.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 6:53 am

hale_bopp wrote:
... and the thread title "God is an idiot" implies he does think about "god" doing bad things.

The OP's first post immediately clarifies ...
Quote:
Okay, I mean that in jest, but hear me out.

So then, the question becomes, "Why do we sometimes *think* God is an idiot when it is actually we who do not understand?"

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 9:18 am

emlion wrote:
PPR is taking over. AHHH. Run. 8O

~pokes Lavi~

Pssst! What's PPR?...

:::)

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 9:20 am

SoulcakeDuck wrote:
emlion wrote:
PPR is taking over. AHHH. Run. 8O

~pokes Lavi~

Pssst! What's PPR?...

*poke* dun, poke me, mistaa.

politics, philosophy and religion forum.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 9:23 am

emlion wrote:
*poke* dun, poke me, mistaa.

politics, philosophy and religion forum.

Ah I sheee. ty ty

:::)

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

26 Mar 2011, 9:28 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:

God is funny to talk about. Since it doesn't make itself apparent, we have to ponder its nature.

LOL. Are unicorns pink, or blue? :lol:

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 10:04 am

I just go back to the place in the thread where there was a semblance of hope that the discussion would get back on topic. *sigh* Good times, good times.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 10:11 am

wefunction wrote:
I just go back to the place in the thread where there was a semblance of hope that the discussion would get back on topic. *sigh* Good times, good times.

Ew.

"On topic" is SO NT.... :roll:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 2:29 pm

wefunction wrote:

Lol, just realize its the internet. If things make you're blood boil, all that does is ill-effect your blood pressure and cardiac health (or at least this is what I tend to remind myself of), everything else pretty much stays the same.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 3:55 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
wefunction wrote:

Lol, just realize its the internet. If things make you're blood boil, all that does is ill-effect your blood pressure and cardiac health (or at least this is what I tend to remind myself of), everything else pretty much stays the same.

Naw. It doesn't make my blood boil. People saying stuff on the internet can't really do that. It's more of that it makes me :roll: and when I :roll: I feel like my mother is going to show up from beyond the beyond to threaten me with rolling my eyes into the back of my head. It gets boring when every discussion that just happens to mention God, even in the silliest sense like this, has to turn immediately into PPR debate. Some of us avoid PPR because this BS bores us and we like L&D because it's not PPR. Even having to over-explain this point when it's very self-evident is getting boring quickly so I'm just going to quit contributing, avoid this thread and offer my condolences to CaptainTrips222 that he couldn't have a thread about his actual post.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 8:34 am

hale_bopp wrote:

and the thread title "God is an idiot" implies he does think about "god" doing bad things.

And it should be OBVIOUS that my tone was playful.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 9:36 am

hale_bopp wrote:
"god" doesn't have human emotions. Blaming your problems on "god" isn't going to help.
\!

I certainly hope that wasn't meant for me. I'm not blaming god for a damn thing.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 10:35 am

This thread makes me smile.

jadw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2011, 5:15 pm

OP, I have a feeling you might have missed something. Just because a gay guy wanted to take you for a bike ride doesn't necessarily mean your prayer wasn't answered. At any rate, you could just tell him you're straight if he does happen to make any kind of romantic advance. Chances are, he just wanted someone to hang out with.

Anyway, consider this. Maybe you would have gone with him and then both of you met some girl somewhere who happened to want to see you more. Maybe he has female friends. Someone told me that with prayers, things can sometimes appear to go in the opposite direction before coming to some kind of fulfillment.

You also say you struggle to get past a 'second date' with a woman. Maybe dating just doesn't work for you. There are other ways to get to know and be in a relationship with women. Of course, I'm still trying to figure it out for myself but I know there are other ways. Even just aiming to have female friends has a better success rate than dating. Remember that with dating, it's like going for job interviews. They know what you're after and there's almost certainly other men competing for her.

This is all there ever was all along...

When the fog clears and the clouds disappear
We will see with clarity, this is what remains here
You are all that I have now, you are all that I miss
Since when did we need more to life than this?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 12:42 am

jadw wrote:
OP, I have a feeling you might have missed something. Just because a gay guy wanted to take you for a bike ride doesn't necessarily mean your prayer wasn't answered. At any rate, you could just tell him you're straight if he does happen to make any kind of romantic advance. Chances are, he just wanted someone to hang out with.

Anyway, consider this. Maybe you would have gone with him and then both of you met some girl somewhere who happened to want to see you more. Maybe he has female friends. Someone told me that with prayers, things can sometimes appear to go in the opposite direction before coming to some kind of fulfillment.

You also say you struggle to get past a 'second date' with a woman. Maybe dating just doesn't work for you. There are other ways to get to know and be in a relationship with women. Of course, I'm still trying to figure it out for myself but I know there are other ways. Even just aiming to have female friends has a better success rate than dating. Remember that with dating, it's like going for job interviews. They know what you're after and there's almost certainly other men competing for her.

I agree with everything you said. The down side, in my experience, to being friends with gays is, once they realize they can't get you to swing the other way, they kinda drop you. That's happened twice before. I'll still chill with him, but I'm not hoping for a real friendship.