Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 4:56 pm

cammyyy wrote:
I cannot believe in an all-powerful being that no-one has yet to be scientifically confirmed as truth. And if there was an all-powerful being, why would he allow things such as the Holocaust, wars, Japan's recentl disasters, etc, to occur?

He is most likely busy. There are more planets then there are sand grains on south end beach. We think we are at the centre of the universe and the only life in the universe.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:10 pm

^ He can manage it all with an ipad 2.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:14 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Moog wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Okay, I mean that in jest, but hear me out.

I realized that most of my problem in getting beyond a second date with women comes down to personality and what not, so I prayed last night that God guide me to someone with whom I'm compatible. Sure enough, while out with people at Chipotle, I get into a conversation today with someone who's totally on the same page with all the big issues like religion, current events, school, personal goals. They're all about being more tolerant of those who are quiet or different. Then the guy opens up to me as a gay and invites me for a bike ride on the canal. I later remembered last nights prayer.

C'mon, how specific do I have to be?. :wink:

Ha, that's funny. I've had 'prayers' work out in less than satisfying ways.

Careful what you wish for, as they say.

There's plenty of those "Be careful what you wish for" stories in the Bible... it sounds more like God is just a really, really good troll.

If you think the biblical God is a bit of troll, you should read what Odin used to get up to. :lol:

TheWeirdPig
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2011, 5:19 pm

God's probably too busy welcoming Liz Taylor into heaven right now to listen to any prayers.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 5:24 pm

EL was the trollest.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 6:17 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
cammyyy wrote:
I cannot believe in an all-powerful being that no-one has yet to be scientifically confirmed as truth. And if there was an all-powerful being, why would he allow things such as the Holocaust, wars, Japan's recentl disasters, etc, to occur?

He is most likely busy. There are more planets then there are sand grains on south end beach. We think we are at the centre of the universe and the only life in the universe.

I don't we're the only life in the universe. I can't prove it, but I do believe it.

God is funny to talk about. Since it doesn't make itself apparent, we have to ponder its nature. We reason he/she must be busy, and it does stand to reason, but if god is absolutely all powerful and all capable, and absolutely all knowing, then shouldn't everything be cake?

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 8:02 pm

TheWeirdPig wrote:
I don't mean to start any blasphemous rumours, But I think that God's got a sick sense of humour, And when I die I expect to find him laughing.

To put it in words, to write it down, that is walking on hallowed ground. XD

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 4:22 am

cammyyy wrote:
And if there was an all-powerful being, why would he allow things such as the Holocaust, wars, Japan's recentl disasters, etc, to occur?

This argument again. :roll:

The Holocaust happened because people have free will to choose between good and bad. If you expect God to prevent people doing bad things to each other, you are expecting him to remove their free will, or at the very least, to limit the effectiveness of their freedom.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 4:29 am

CrinklyCrustacean wrote:
cammyyy wrote:
And if there was an all-powerful being, why would he allow things such as the Holocaust, wars, Japan's recentl disasters, etc, to occur?

This argument again. :roll:

Yes. Many people have God confused with Santa Claus.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 4:51 am

"god" doesn't have human emotions. Blaming your problems on "god" isn't going to help.

And who are the people saying "why does god allow (insert bad thing here)" or whatever, stop trying to pretend you understand the controlling and/or processes of the universe! You don't!

Last edited by hale_bopp on 25 Mar 2011, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 4:52 am

cammyyy wrote:

Because it's not his responsibility to protect us from harm. And it's our fault earthquakes happen.

Sarcasm in case you thought I was serious.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 6:38 am

hale_bopp wrote:
"god" doesn't have human emotions. Blaming your problems on "god" isn't going to help.

And who are the people saying "why does god allow (insert bad thing here)" or whatever, stop trying to pretend you understand the controlling and/or processes of the universe! You don't!

I thought that Jesus was born so God can relate to humans.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 8:24 am

Okay, a show of hands, please...

Who noticed that CaptainTrips222's post has nothing to do with whether or not God exists and, if so, why bad things happen to people?

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 8:36 am

wefunction wrote:

Who noticed that CaptainTrips222's post has nothing to do with whether or not God exists and, if so, why bad things happen to people?

*solemnly raises hand, looks around*

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 8:41 am

Grisha wrote:
wefunction wrote:

**raises hand without looking around**

mv
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 8:54 am

leejosepho wrote:
Grisha wrote:
wefunction wrote:

**raises hand without looking around**

***raises hand, but is stifling 12-year old-type giggles over this:***

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Then the guy opens up to me as a gay