Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

sc
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2006, 6:40 pm

Is an AA degree good? Does it help a person get a job for sure? It’s only 60 units or credits, not sure of the terminology.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2006, 9:53 pm

Associates degrees can often pay off. I am not sure if it will guarantee jobs, however, degree holders do get a good pay off for the amount that they pay for the degree. I will post a link below about the values for various degrees, hopefully it will help your decision.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Col ... P59866.asp

noodle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2006, 10:24 pm

An AA is a good way to test out how much you like going to school and try different subjects before you commit to long term expense and time of a full degree. You can usually transfer most of your credits if you want to finish a BA later. There is often more flexibility.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 5:55 am

You might want to consider an AS (Associates of Science) . I went to technical school for an AS in Information Technology. I haven;t found a job yet simply because I can;t seem to find one I like, but many others with my same degree have found great jobs. I want to work as a Linux Administrator, even though i had linux training at school I felt the coverage was lacking because half of the class had a hard time understanding and was unmotivated. Plus an RHCE should supplement for my lack of experience. So I am pursueing an RHCE right now.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 8:58 am

I once told a very good friend of mine that I would be receiving an AA degree in two years. Well, that was two years ago, so they and many other people have no idea that I have earned it.

However, I have actually earned a Vocational Certificate. I have also learned that it can often be misleading if you tell someone you got an AA degree certificate, when you actually got a vocational certificate.

Luckily, even though I haven't heard from this person in a long time, they still manage to keep in touch with me and have never held anything against me.

In fact, I am considering inviting one of their relatives to join this forum. It is their sister, by the way. She used to be a social worker, and I think she will help all of you out tremendously. She can be a little silly sometimes, but she knows when to be silly and when to be serious. I think all of you will really like her!

So, that was just a simple mistake I made about my vocational certificate. It was nothing to worry about. I still have a friendship that is very much worth keeping.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 2:30 pm

It's pretty good.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 12:41 am

I think it's good...being in classes can help you make more contacts in your field, and having more experience never hurts. If you're not sure if you really like the topic, going to school can help you figure that out too.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 10:31 am

I got into the second level english class after assessment. So my english / grammer skills are not as bad as they used to be. Since I can goto college for free, after the community college there is a state university here. I can go to it on one bus without transfers. Going to college is free for me with Cal-Vets fee waver program.

Humboldt State University

gortex6
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2006, 5:23 am

AA/AS/AAS is better than no degree at all.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 7:15 am

Yes, you got that right.

mentalman

19 Sep 2006, 4:32 pm

I just got my A.A.S. in Computer Technology - Information Systems Management from the University of Montana-Missoula's College of Technology in May. Perhaps it was a combination of the experience I had before and received during the program in addition to the degree, but it seems that my skills are in demand and that it was a great starting point for my career/education.

I think the pros of getting an A.A.S./AA/AS/etc. are:
1) Cheaper than a 4 year.
2) Provides a foundation, some general education that can be transferred later.
3) Usually earned at a smaller institution which means smaller classes, strong bonds w/ classmates, get to know professor much better, lots of support.
4) Usually have more support programs for students transitioning to college from nontraditional backgrounds.

There are cons though:
1) Can be more intensive curriculum than a 4-year, esp. w/ a technical/vocational school where the intention is to make you ready for the workforce. They will try to force as much variety and knowledge into two years as possible.
2) If you don't get along w/ one professor, chances are you will have more than one class w/ him/her, have to deal with that.
3) Don't always have independent disabilities services - sometimes have representatives from the larger university campus that they are a part of.

Hope that helps - I personally really enjoyed my two-year program, although at times it was incredibly intense and stressful - helped me learn time-management and other life skills that reduced the impact of AS on me.