Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 5:46 pm

What is your reaction to martyrdom? I was thinking today that I've never been particularly moved by stories of martyrdom within any religion or any political movement - even if I agree with the cause. Bobby Sands, Emily Davison, kamikaze, Ali, Jesus, suicide bombers...the whole list of people who died for all kinds of causes leaves me emotionally unmoved.

I have more admiration for those martyrs who are put to death for standing by their principles, than I do for those who willingly kill themselves to make a point. For this reason, martyrs like Giordano Bruno, Jesus, Guru Tegh Bahadur and Oscar Wilde (in a sort-of way) get more admiration from me than ones like Bobby Sands or Emily Davison. I find politically motivated suicide repugnant, though I'm not morally repulsed by suicide per se. It just strikes me as the second-worst form of passive aggression...after those who commit suicide in a way that also kills other people, like kamikaze and suicide bombers.

Suicide bombers and kamikaze are almost universally disapproved of, however, Bobby Sands and Emily Davison type martyrdom is respected by some people.

Even of the martyrs I admire, I don't find the fact that they died for their principles makes them any more admirable than if they hadn't been put to death. I sometimes think that maybe the likes of Giordano Bruno were doing the wrong thing because they could've accomplished more if they'd manage to keep themselves alive. Like his Marleyness says, 'a mighty god is a living man'.

When it comes to Jesus, were not talking simply of martyrdom. To believers, Jesus's death was the last blood sacrifice needed to placate the Abrahamic god. This got me thinking, what if the appeal of martyrdom has its roots in the age-old practice of human sacrifice? What do you think is the root of the martyr's appeal?

I was raised Catholic and I often heard stories of martyrhood. I would often think, 'yes, some people killed some other people for following this religion...this is supposed to spiritually inspire me how, exactly?'

Are there are any martyrs that you admire? If so, why?

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

26 Mar 2011, 6:00 pm

puddingmouse wrote:

I have more admiration for those martyrs who are put to death for standing by their principles, than I do for those who willingly kill themselves to make a point.

Hm. Is there a difference, really?

I guess I've always been fascinated by the monks who burned themselves alive in protest of the Vietnam War,
if only because that's such a painful way to die.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 6:08 pm

Bethie wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

I have more admiration for those martyrs who are put to death for standing by their principles, than I do for those who willingly kill themselves to make a point.

Hm. Is there a difference, really?

I guess I've always been fascinated by the monks who burned themselves alive in protest of the Vietnam War,
if only because that's such a painful way to die.

Yeah, I don't understand how monks belonging to an ahimsa tradition can do that.

There is a difference. Politically motivated suicide says...'take my point seriously, I killed myself'. It makes its argument by appealing to a very primitive emotion. Being put to death for standing by your principles is different. Jesus didn't want to die and neither did Giordano Bruno, those guys were more like, 'take my point seriously because it's right'.

Yeah there is almost something sublime about someone with no fear of death, though.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 7:56 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
What is your reaction to martyrdom? I was thinking today that I've never been particularly moved by stories of martyrdom within any religion or any political movement - even if I agree with the cause. Bobby Sands, Emily Davison, kamikaze, Ali, Jesus, suicide bombers...the whole list of people who died for all kinds of causes leaves me emotionally unmoved.

I have more admiration for those martyrs who are put to death for standing by their principles, than I do for those who willingly kill themselves to make a point. For this reason, martyrs like Giordano Bruno, Jesus, Guru Tegh Bahadur and Oscar Wilde (in a sort-of way) get more admiration from me than ones like Bobby Sands or Emily Davison. I find politically motivated suicide repugnant, though I'm not morally repulsed by suicide per se. It just strikes me as the second-worst form of passive aggression...after those who commit suicide in a way that also kills other people, like kamikaze and suicide bombers.

Suicide bombers and kamikaze are almost universally disapproved of, however, Bobby Sands and Emily Davison type martyrdom is respected by some people.

Even of the martyrs I admire, I don't find the fact that they died for their principles makes them any more admirable than if they hadn't been put to death. I sometimes think that maybe the likes of Giordano Bruno were doing the wrong thing because they could've accomplished more if they'd manage to keep themselves alive. Like his Marleyness says, 'a mighty god is a living man'.

When it comes to Jesus, were not talking simply of martyrdom. To believers, Jesus's death was the last blood sacrifice needed to placate the Abrahamic god. This got me thinking, what if the appeal of martyrdom has its roots in the age-old practice of human sacrifice? What do you think is the root of the martyr's appeal?

I was raised Catholic and I often heard stories of martyrhood. I would often think, 'yes, some people killed some other people for following this religion...this is supposed to spiritually inspire me how, exactly?'

It is one thing to die for one's cause. It is another thing to take innocent or uninvolved others to the Great Beyond without their consent.

Jesus did not take anyone else up on His cross.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 8:47 pm

Martyrdom....

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ic_victory

That's the only way I can really think of it. It's a minute victory where you sacrifice something greater in the path. I guess there are some pawns whose lives aren't worth much more than destruction but even that serves as little more than fodder for a more effective propaganda.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 9:45 pm

I think martyrdom is stupid. Even if you believe in something, you don't sacrifice disproportionally for it... :roll:

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 9:47 pm

Yeah I think martyrom is very short sihted. Like hwat's thje pinbt of fuigjhting fdor the advancinmenrtyt fof the human rac de if you're noit even gonna live to see the progress?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 9:50 pm

ruveyn wrote:
It is one thing to die for one's cause. It is another thing to take innocent or uninvolved others to the Great Beyond without their consent.

Jesus did not take anyone else up on His cross.

ruveyn

Well said.

I think the criticism of Jesus advocating martyrdom could be an easy criticism of His teachings--specifically "take up your cross and follow me." This is often interpreted as "take up your burden," whatever weight you carry in life, and follow Jesus in order to accomplish your life goals, etc. The problem is "carrying one's cross" does not merely refer to any personal burden or hardship. Your cross is the implement of your own execution. To carry your cross is to follow Jesus to the grave. It's not really quite as warm and comforting as some Christians have chosen to view it.

I agree with ruveyn here, but let's not overlook the fact Jesus plainly told His followers that obeying His teachings could mean their death. It wouldn't always be necessary for us to be put to death for the cause of Christ, but it WOULD become an unfortunate consequence for some of His followers. Jesus also taught us that there were more important and higher priorities than temporal existence. "He who saves his life will lose it, and he who loses his life will save it." I can honestly say I'd be ok with being martyred. I just thank God that for the time being I'm not faced with it.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 10:55 pm

Christian and Jewish Martyrdom: dying at the hands of others after being convicted as a criminal due to being unwilling to bow to idols or otherwise reject God.

Islamic martyrdom: killing others in the hopes that you'll have a harem after you're killed to protect public safety or otherwise die in the act of killing others.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 4:40 am

Zokk wrote:
I think martyrdom is stupid. Even if you believe in something, you don't sacrifice disproportionally for it... :roll:

The slogan on the New Hampshire license plates is -Live Free or Die-. Is that a call to martyrdom?

ruveyn

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 9:16 am

Quote:
A martyr is somebody who suffers persecution and death for refusing to renounce a belief or cause, usually religious.

Wikipedia's definition. To me martyrdom has nothing to do with acts of suicide and such.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 9:19 am

TechnicalPacifist wrote:
Quote:
A martyr is somebody who suffers persecution and death for refusing to renounce a belief or cause, usually religious.

Wikipedia's definition. To me martyrdom has nothing to do with acts of suicide and such.

A martyr is a witness to his beliefs by way of his suffering.

1. One who chooses to suffer death rather than renounce religious principles.
2. One who makes great sacrifices or suffers much in order to further a belief, cause, or principle.
a. One who endures great suffering: a martyr to arthritis.
b. One who makes a great show of suffering in order to arouse sympathy.