Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

as408
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2011, 5:51 pm

In the computer world, we have emulators that allow a PC to run Mac software, for example.

The closest I've heard of are aspies who get so socially adept that they pass for NTs. I'm talking on a thinking/perception level. Can an AS brain with enough data about NTs emulate the NT brain? And yes, I get the limitations of using a computer analogy.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 5:56 pm

emulate? Yes. Perfectly? Not at all. Passable? Somewhat, you still get those individuals who think something is off.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 5:58 pm

It's possible I guess, but I'm thinking probably not. At least not on a thinking and perception level.

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2011, 6:37 pm

a common belief about aspies is that we're very 'bright'. I believe that aspies can learn to function very passably in an NT world, as we develop coping mechanisms and work-arounds that our NT counterparts have never had to think about!

I use an application on my smartphone that creates mind maps, sort of like flow charts, that show the steps involved to plan and achieve things...it's a way for me to plan out my interactions with the world. It's a very clinical/Mr. Spock type way of doing things, but the end result is that I get out and do stuff and engage with others and behave almost 'normally', which allows me to feel connected to the world and happy as a little clam. (because of my mind map I can intellectually understand the benefits of doing so, even if I lack the NT desire to surround myself with other people)

We also need to keep in mind that there's no such thing as a typical NT. Everyone is different, even among NTs there's incredible diversity. Some (I would say even most) have at least one Aspie quality, but they still function in the NT world. We just have to figure out how to moderate our behavior and perception of the world that we share, and we can too.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 6:47 pm

Computers that emulate other computers do so at a loss of efficiency. Emulating NT behavior is within the realm of possibility. But the psychological energy to do so might better be focused elsewhere.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 7:29 pm

My own opinion would be, to stretch your analogy a bit, that the best any of us could ever do would be something like WINE on a Linux machine. Sure, it gets some jobs done, but a lot of apps have issues, some major and some minor.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 7:58 pm

As an undiagnosed Aspie growing up before Asperger's was even a diagnosis, I have never been given any choice other than to be part of an NT world. To that extent, I've learned what I need to do to blend in as best as I can. To be sure, I have failed badly at many times during my life with interaction, but as I get older I have learned what I need to do just to get by. Though I've never really had a friend (other than my wife) during my adult life, I can interact well in a work setting and think I am reasonably well-liked by co-workers. Of course, I know well enough not to try to socialize off the job since this only draws attention to my inability to do so. Mostly, people seem to know there's something a little "off" about me, but NTs are pretty accepting for the most part. They're not a bad type.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Mar 2011, 9:51 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Computers that emulate other computers do so at a loss of efficiency. Emulating NT behavior is within the realm of possibility. But the psychological energy to do so might better be focused elsewhere.

When I started giving up my emulation routines, I found that I had far more energy and a much more positive mood.

It takes up a lot of energy to maintain even a modicum of NT behavior, and I don't think it was good for my mental health to have that energy tied up.

as408
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2011, 10:08 pm

theWanderer wrote:
My own opinion would be, to stretch your analogy a bit, that the best any of us could ever do would be something like WINE on a Linux machine. Sure, it gets some jobs done, but a lot of apps have issues, some major and some minor.

Dude that's brilliant.

Verdandi wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

When I started giving up my emulation routines, I found that I had far more energy and a much more positive mood.

It takes up a lot of energy to maintain even a modicum of NT behavior, and I don't think it was good for my mental health to have that energy tied up.

How are you able to function in NT settings (work, meetups, socials, etc)? Don't get me wrong, I find your words very inspiring. Self-acceptance has been a serious challenge for me.

Last edited by as408 on 26 Mar 2011, 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2011, 10:11 pm

Verdandi wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

When I started giving up my emulation routines, I found that I had far more energy and a mucIh more positive mood.

I think I get what you're saying, that not having to put on an act can new liberating. For me, I think the opposite is true, that trying to translate my interests and enthusiasm to NTs is somehow an exciting and not always dreadful challenge.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Mar 2011, 10:15 pm

sandrana wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

When I started giving up my emulation routines, I found that I had far more energy and a mucIh more positive mood.

I think I get what you're saying, that not having to put on an act can new liberating. For me, I think the opposite is true, that trying to translate my interests and enthusiasm to NTs is somehow an exciting and not always dreadful challenge.

I can still communicate my interests and enthusiasm to NTs, although it can take a lot of energy sometimes. I just mean trying to act like an NT and losing the distinction between self and coping mechanism.

tomboywriter101
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: In my writing, where things are the way I want them

26 Mar 2011, 10:20 pm

I can pass myself off as an NT, although I wish I didn't for some reason...

Agree: 4,6,13,16,18,19,20,22,39,41,45: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,10,11,14,17,27,30,32,36,38,44,47,48,49: 1 point
Score: 26

JusSumBudi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2011, 10:33 pm

I think you can pretend to act normal (I try), but mannerisms usually give me away. Either that or I say something in a way that's odd. aah well

Last edited by JusSumBudi on 27 Mar 2011, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 1:05 am

I dont know if you could truely become an NT, at the most I you could probably developing coping mechnisms that are very good so you can come across as very NT to majority of the people in your life or maybe even all? I know if you work hard enough at something, you can master it. But as for literal rewiring of your brain to be NT over time. I dont know how possible that is? I know its possible to rewire it to a small extent due to nueral plasticity but to completely rewire it, idk?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 1:15 am

as408 wrote:
How are you able to function in NT settings (work, meetups, socials, etc)? Don't get me wrong, I find your words very inspiring. Self-acceptance has been a serious challenge for me.

I don't currently work, so that's not currently an issue. The last party I went to I ended up shut down in the corner for about a third or half of it, and spent the rest of it with someone talking about my interests (but they were also her interests, so this was fine). I was having serious problems before I let go of my "emulation routines" and I think letting go of those were healthier for me in the short and long term. I also think that for whatever reason (probably related) I have lost some of my social skills, something I did not expect would happen.

Generally speaking I am not saying that I've entirely dropped putting up a front around NTs, but more that I've stopped making that front a way of life. Putting up a front is harder because of the aforementioned social skill issue.

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2011, 12:04 pm

sandrana wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

I see...I suppose part of what I enjoy is that I have the right NTs around me, people who share my interests and understand that not wanting to do everything they do isn't a reflection of my feelings towards them. I would find it hard to sit down and behave 'normally' with most strangers, but with the group of friends I have it's understood that I'm a bit flaky and don't gush over someone's new haircut (or even notice it) and can wander off (physically or conversationally) at any given time, so I'm still me :)