Does anyone have an aversion to a specific color?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tenzinsmom
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2011, 10:53 am

I just watched "My Name is Khan" and the main character hated the color yellow. He would have a melt down when he encountered it.

Seemed that somebody--the screenplay author or the director--read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" and ripped off that aspect of the protagonist from that book.

I've never met anyone who would become undone by a color. Anyone here?

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 11:16 am

I like all colors, but I once worked with someone who hated the color green. We could not use the color green in anything in our work because of her. I thought it was bizarre. She didn't have meltdowns though. She just acted like some people do when they see insects and don't like them.

brokenbells
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2011, 11:44 am

This is a little biased of a question for me, as I'm also a synesthete - for me, colors are sounds and tastes and textures too. So it's more than just disliking a color, though I have to say none throw me into a rage or anything. There's some shades of magenta and fuchsia that really put me on edge, though, that also evoke the feeling of deceit and the smell of rotting orchids.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 11:48 am

I don't, because I like all colours.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 7:42 pm

I don't like white or for that matter, insipid pastels, but I can keep my cool and it's far down the list of reasons I avoid weddings.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 7:51 pm

About 4 and a half years ago, I hated the colour red. It wasn't due to sensory issues, it was because I had a bad association for it.

I went on this site about the bass player in my favourite band, and they they had this page, starting a rumour that he had died. It was similar to "Paul is Dead" rumour if anyone knows about that, just not as widespread. I think they were just joking, but I certainly didn't think that way when I read it. One of the reasons they thought he was dead was because he was wearing a red shirt (which he doesn't usually where) and they said it was a look-alike replacing him, because he NEVER wore shirts like that! They also thought because the shirt was "blood red", the band was trying to tell the fans something. The rumour wasn't true but I was still really upset. I don't mind red now though.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Mar 2011, 8:00 pm

There's a shade of yellow that makes me downright nauseous because it tastes, ugh, really awful. There are a couple of other colors that I have bad reactions to - one is kind of a greenish-tan is the best way to describe it? Anyway, all of the colors I dislike are for synesthetic reasons.

Tiffinity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2011, 8:12 pm

I can't stand orange and would never wear anything orange. And this is totally unrelated but since birth I've been allergic to oranges and other citrus fruits yet love the smell and taste of them. (I used to steal bits of my sisters orange when I was little and then be really ill). But as for orange as a colour, yuk!

Tiffinity.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 10:24 pm

my time in the military permanently broke me from any enthusiasm for the colors flat gray and OD/camo. the dark grays that are seemingly de rigueur in nearly all new car interiors are also highly unattractive to me.

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2011, 10:54 pm

my daughter has used 'purple' and 'yellow' as discriptive words for things she likes and things that bother her. personally I like all colours in their own context but don't like when they appear to be out of place, like if a room is decorated in bright colours and someone adds pastel pillows that bugs me but that has more to do with my artistic nature than anything else i think.

renisauria
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jan 2022, 7:27 pm

Seeing the combination of blue navy and lilac makes me nauseous since I was a child (I'm in my 30s now). Literally nauseous. It gives me heartburn and I feel like vomiting. I never do vomit, it's just that my stomach acid goes nuts and I burp and feel sick until I stop seeing or thinking about that very specific combination. Looking at those two colors together makes my brain feel like I just drank poison or something.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 7:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
my time in the military permanently broke me from any enthusiasm for the colors flat gray and OD/camo. the dark grays that are seemingly de rigueur in nearly all new car interiors are also highly unattractive to me.

I hate a certain kind of gray, too. It's associated with the interior of buses when I was little. The color still reminds me of motion sickness and the smell of gasoline.

On the other hand there are many happy colors. My wardrobe is full of colorful clothes, but almost no gray or black. I bought a black jacket in case I need to go to a funeral or something. It's still hanging in my closet with the tag attached. :D My "neutral" color is white.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 11:20 am

I always hated the movie Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory because I thought the colors were so ugly.

I don't like yellow, either. Or certain shades of brown. They make me very uncomfortable.

Also, red, yellow, and black together. Ugh.

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2022, 12:50 pm

There are certain types of colors that actually make me nauseous, like muddy versions of yellows and greens. Like mustard or avocado green. I can eat mustard and avocados, but having to eat off of a plate that’s this color or if the kitchen walls were painted in this color family, I would probably lose my appetite.
Also, wearing shirts in these types of colors tends to make me look sick. Brighter shades seem to suit me much better; red, turquoise, hot pink etc.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 1:16 pm

Yellow because I can taste it. It used to be much worse when I was young but I do still have a slight aversion to it.

Apart from that I like all colours.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 1:36 pm

I like all colours. The brighter, the psychedelic, the better.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)