Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Which hour is closest to the middle of your usual sleep cycle?
Late Riser: Median nearest 9 a.m. 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Late Riser: Median nearest 9 a.m. 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Early Riser: Median nearest 9 p.m. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Early Riser: Median nearest 9 p.m. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Nocturnal: Median nearest 3 p.m. 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Nocturnal: Median nearest 3 p.m. 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Diurnal: Median nearest 3 a.m. 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Diurnal: Median nearest 3 a.m. 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Unpredictable Sleep Cycle (less than 50% of your sleep falls into any one category) 26%  26%  [ 24 ]
Unpredictable Sleep Cycle (less than 50% of your sleep falls into any one category) 26%  26%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 92

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2006, 12:50 pm

Left to myself i'd stay up until 2/3 and then sleep in until 11 or so. But i can't do that these days. I also seem to need a lot of sleep and i prefer to have naps about 3/4 in the afternoon. I get really tired if i'm woken up during the night.

I LOVE staying up late, when everyone else has gone to bed and the downstairs is all mine. Its a lovely feeling. But i've learnt to love getting up early too, so many more hours in the day.

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 6:16 pm

The poll confused me; but I go to sleep around 3:00 A.M. and wake up at about 10:00 A.M.

Magus
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2006, 12:55 am

Interesting topic! As for me, I'm definately a night person. I can't get anything done until the sun sets. It's weird, but I like the night much better than the day. I'm usually tired and lethargic during the day, but as soon as the sun sets, I get an adrenalin rush.

Even more interesting is that I seem to suffer from reverse seasonal affective disorder. I get really depressed during the summer because of the long days, but during the winter I usually feel pretty good.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 7:50 pm

I have no idea. I know my brain is most active at around 11pm-1am, and I'm very nocturnal. I will happily stay up til 5am, by which time I'm actually tired and wouldn't mind sleeping.

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2006, 1:34 pm

I tend to go to bed after midnight, at between 1 and 4 AM.

julie

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 5:25 pm

Am I nocturnal?

"Yes" would be an extreme understatement. I tend towards a daytime sleep cycle, but sometimes the demands of the world force me to come out during the day. Because of this, I have a fairly... um, eclectic range of times when I might be found in a completely catatonic state.

Did I mention I'm sensitive to light? That doesn't help either.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2006, 11:18 pm

Sleep? WTF is that? I voted unpredictable.

I have never been a big sleeper as long as I can remember. My pattern hasn't changed much over the years. I'm 50 and I never get more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep at a time, without drugs, that is. I generally wake up with the sunrise, but rarely go to bed before 2AM or 3AM. Four to five hours is normal for me and my body violently rejected medical attempts to make me sleep more when I was in my 30s. I had succumbed to pressure from a live-in lover to try to "Get Help" for my sleeplessness. A couple of different drugs and some relaxation treatments screwed up my head for a while and I never really increased the amount of sleep I got, it just mad me feel bad all the time.

I believe that I just don't NEED as much sleep as some people do and even at my age, I'm still going strong. I often go around the clock without winding down enough for sleep. In fact about once a week I'm up all night listening to music or reading (or flying over the net) and I feel a little drowsy in the afternoon when I do that (now days), but forget trying to sleep if the sun's up. Of course, that's what drugs are for, right? To make the sun shut up.

I used to drink alcohol to wind down and if I was drunk enough I could get about 7 or 8 hours, but at a high price. I have learned that my favorite drug to help me get to sleep quicker is a single cup of coffee to take to bed. ONE CUP (1!) will soothe and warm my insides to an even glow and relax me enough to fall asleep much quicker. I avoid the second or third cup, though, because after 3 cups, for instance, I just get the shakes and sleep goes even farther away for several more hours.

a1kemi
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2006, 1:13 am

I would be nocturnal if I could help it but I have things to do during the day. The other problem is that every time I don't fit the mold my parents immediatley associate me with a schizophrenic relative that they have a very low opinion of. As silly as it is, I hate getting the cold shoulder from dad so I just try to sleep relativley normal hours.

I plan on setting up a perpetual income such as a large account that just sits there earning interest so I can just sleep during the day and live at night. That would be just awsome, I could meet people like us in obscure night-clubs and such and spend the rest of my time on personal projects and research.

Another thing about being nocturnal is that people who sleep during the day look so young even past 50 years old. It must be healthy as long as you suppliment vitamin D or get just a little bit of sun.