Diet and Exercise Daily Check-In!! !!

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

deeprooted
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 5:01 pm

This thread is intended for anyone and everyone who wants motivation and encouragement to get and stay in shape. Check in daily with your diet and exercise progress and downfalls. We can all be in this together! Share stories and what does and doesn't work for you. Maybe begin with a brief intro of yourself and your goals if you'd like.

Okay...I'll go first I guess....

I lost 30 lbs about 8 years ago, but have been involved in some serious stress eating lately and have gained a few back. I do regularly exercise though. My goal is to lose 10 lbs over the next month, work out 5x per week and eat a clean diet. Today I did 55 minutes of TaeBo advanced, and have eaten really well with the exception of two mini-cheesecakes which I had to taste since I baked them to take to someone else. :lol:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 6:17 pm

Background info:

I used to weigh 180 lbs at 5'6", but I went on a diet about two years ago and got down to 160. However, not long after that, I reverted back to my old eating habits and gained back almost all of the weight. I topped out at 175 lbs.

Eventually, I started to feel ashamed of being big and afraid of getting bigger. I was also tired of always having to shop for XL shirts and trying to hide my stomach all the time. The day when I realized that I could no longer button any of my jeans was the day I realized I needed a lifestyle change.

Tomorrow marks my 3 week anniversary of living a healthier lifestyle. For example, instead of eating Cheetos and chocolate chip cookies as a snack, I eat apples, bananas or low-fat yogurt, and instead of eating beef hamburgers, I eat lean turkey burgers. I go walking and running every day as long as the weather permits me. So far I have lost 6 lbs. My next weigh-in will be on Saturday.
-----

Today's Check-In:

I woke up around 2 PM (late, I know!) and ate an apple, a low-fat yogurt and leftover Sloppy Joe made out of ketchup and ground turkey. I have gone outside running twice today, which amounts to about an hour of exercise. I will probably eat another low-fat yogurt as a snack, and then for supper I will eat a Lean Pocket and possibly have the unbelievably wonderful, low-fat ice cream Lovin' Scoopful for dessert.

deeprooted
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 7:12 pm

IdahoRose wrote:

Tomorrow marks my 3 week anniversary of living a healthier lifestyle. For example, instead of eating Cheetos and chocolate chip cookies as a snack, I eat apples, bananas or low-fat yogurt, and instead of eating beef hamburgers, I eat lean turkey burgers. I go walking and running every day as long as the weather permits me. So far I have lost 6 lbs. My next weigh-in will be on Saturday.

I woke up around 2 PM (late, I know!) and ate an apple, a low-fat yogurt and leftover Sloppy Joe made out of ketchup and ground turkey. I have gone outside running twice today, which amounts to about an hour of exercise. I will probably eat another low-fat yogurt as a snack, and then for supper I will eat a Lean Pocket and possibly have the unbelievably wonderful, low-fat ice cream Lovin' Scoopful for dessert.

Hi IdahoRose, :)

Wow, you're doing great. Congrats on hitting your 3 week anniversary! You'll have a new habit before you know it.

I've heard that doing shorter more frequent workouts are very beneficial, but I usually try to get mine done all at once. I wonder if one is better than the other, or if it makes a difference?

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 9:11 pm

I have almost exactly the same story as idahorose:
A few years back I was a bit over 180, then I lost 40lbs over a summer using weight watchers. Since then (over maybe 5 years) I've gained back most of it - now I'm 5'8" and about 170 plus or minus 5lbs depending on the day.

I'm healthy by all means of measurement besides bmi - on which I'm allegedly just barely overweight. As for other tests, 2 different body fat tests that I don't really trust that we had to do in a "wellness" class I took last year - when I was a bit heavier at 175lbs. There was one with calipers, and the other was waist/hip measurement based. They both said I was 19% bodyfat - I don't really believe it though.

I'm posting here to maybe get some motivation, and probably to check back in every once in a while too - nice thread idea! (:

I love all foods - except for salmon roe, I've found. :lol:
I eat a balanced diet, I think: I love peppers, fruit, veggies, skim milk, grilled salmon.... But I also love fried things in small amounts - unless that thing is a corndog or chicken fried steak then I'd like as many as possible please. :P

But, hey, I'm a college student - One of my main issues is the number of meals I eat each day. Depending on the day I might just have 1 or maybe I'll have 4, plus snacks. Really depends... I know that does terrible things to my metabolism. :\ I do walk all day everyday - except when I'm sitting for hours at a time studying. I'll try to fit in more activity, if I can. Do jumping jacks in the library or something. :lol:

Ah well, maybe I actually will lose something soon. I'd like to be down to 160, with more muscle tone, before summer, if I can. Hey, I can dream. haha

m2o2r2g2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 9:17 pm

jaejoongfangirl:

The varying diet is not a bad thing, if you vary the exercise you do on those days to match. Otherwise it is one of the biggest hurdles you will have with your weight.

Us aspies are good with routines, just make eating part of your "must do" routine. If you arent fussy with your foods then there are plenty of portable food sources you can keep in your pocket/handbag/backpack for busy days, and eat while you are doing whatever else.

And trust body fat measurements with calipers. One of the best measuring techniques is a "sum of x" where x is usually a number between 3 and 11. This is merely adding measurements together from multiple spots on your body. Google for more info.
Our elite sporting institutions use a sum of 7 measurement for our body fat calculations.

mra1200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2011, 10:32 pm

Yeah, that routine we can get in can be great, until not doing something becomes routine... I'm trying to get back into working out on the treadmill again. I was doing so well for a while, doing a little bit every day (half mile minimum) then POOF! I stopped for about a month (mostly during a diet relapse). Oops.

So I'm back on it again in the past week, and I just cracked the 15 minute mile barrier (mostly at walking speed). I don't think it's all that challenging, but it's a good improvement from when I started last fall (20+ min mile). I think I can make 4 mph (ie 1 mile in 15 minutes) a standard speed now as opposed to being the "fast" speed it used to be.

I won't even try to post my eating habits, as it would probably piss off a bunch of people that I was eating like I do and still losing weight. :twisted: Just know that I like the four food groups: foods that in nature can be be hunted, picked, grown, and gathered. Trying to cut out all industrially processed foods as much as possible, even making my own dips and sauces from natural ingredients I recognize.

deeprooted
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2011, 9:44 am

mra1200 wrote:
Yeah, that routine we can get in can be great, until not doing something becomes routine...

Isn't that the truth? :roll:

I found an interesting article on forming habits that I found encouraging: PsychCentralArticle

shadowchyld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2011, 11:45 am

Hey! My goals are to lose 60 lbs and get healthy. I am 5'2" and weigh 198 right now. Eeeek. I walked about a 15-20 minute mile this morning, it felt pretty good, had a piece of toast with olive oil spread on it for breakfast. Had a seared tuna steak, 4 oz, for lunch, surprisingly not starving right now. Chicken for dinner tonight. Mmmmm. Might walk again this evening since it went so well for me today. That's my check-in. Glad you made this thread! Thanks!

mra1200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2011, 10:02 pm

3 miles in 56:12 today. Am trying to do some endurance days and then some "how fast can I run/walk a mile?" days. I'd like to be able to easily do 3 miles in 45 as my next goal.

deeprooted
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2011, 1:31 am

Ugh, bad day for fitness in my world. Failed to make my run a priority this morning and didn't fit it into my schedule. I don't even want to talk about diet today. :oops:
But on a brighter note, tomorrow is a new day, right?

shadowchyld wrote:
Hey! My goals are to lose 60 lbs and get healthy. I am 5'2" and weigh 198 right now. Eeeek. I walked about a 15-20 minute mile this morning, it felt pretty good, had a piece of toast with olive oil spread on it for breakfast. Had a seared tuna steak, 4 oz, for lunch, surprisingly not starving right now. Chicken for dinner tonight. Mmmmm. Might walk again this evening since it went so well for me today. That's my check-in. Glad you made this thread! Thanks!

Can I come eat with you? It sounds delicious. :cherry:
Are you tracking your calories or following some kind of eating plan? I think that's my problem, I don't have a plan so when I get hungry I just grab whatever. I used to be so disciplined, I know I can do it again but I have to get back in the habit.
Oh, and you're welcome. I'm glad you like the thread. :)

deeprooted
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2011, 7:17 pm

Didn't have time to check in yesterday, but it appears that I'm not the only one who didn't find the time, so I'll make up for it today...

Didn't measure the distance but went bicycling for 1.25 hours. Did really well on my diet (it was time I exercised some discipline), the only simple carb that entered my mouth was a single cracker which I ate absentmindedly. Does anyone else put food in mouth before engaging brain to think about what you're doing?

Today I didn't get my work-out again, but I'm continuing the good eating trend though. My hubby may take me to dinner tonight so I'll have to be extra careful in my choices.
Do any of you have any tips or tricks for eating out?

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

02 Apr 2011, 11:01 am

I won't be checking in every day- I weigh myself every Sunday, so I'll be posting then.

I think this is a FANTASTIC thread idea;
good luck to everyone!

EDIT: I lied. Weighed in @ 163.4
Last Sunday I was 165.8, which was TEN POUNDS down from the previous week.

I'm disappointed.
I know it's because I didn't take my meds (I'm on weight loss medication) for two days this week
and I also ate more than usual.

Normally, it'd be water-guzzling time, but I just threw up. :(

deeprooted
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2011, 8:22 pm

Bethie wrote:
I won't be checking in every day- I weigh myself every Sunday, so I'll be posting then.

good luck to everyone!

I'm disappointed.
I know it's because I didn't take my meds (I'm on weight loss medication) for two days this week

Hi Bethie, welcome to the thread. :) I was beginning to think that maybe everyone had lost interest. It helps me a lot to report to others, makes keeping on track a lot easier I think.

I hope you don't mind if I ask you some questions. It is not my intention to be offensive in any way, but weight is such a personal thing, please tell me if you find them out of line.

How many lbs lost per week is your goal? I can't even imagine losing 12 lbs per week...that's massive, what kind of meds are you using? Do you often throw up when you're not losing as much as you think you should?

I can't help but worry about you, my daughter is continually flirting with starving herself or binging and purging. I see what it does to her and how she hates her body and I detest the thought of anyone else going through the same thing. Feel free to share if you need to talk.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

03 Apr 2011, 2:36 am

deeprooted wrote:
Bethie wrote:

good luck to everyone!

I'm disappointed.

Hi Bethie, welcome to the thread. :) I was beginning to think that maybe everyone had lost interest. It helps me a lot to report to others, makes keeping on track a lot easier I think.

I hope you don't mind if I ask you some questions. It is not my intention to be offensive in any way, but weight is such a personal thing, please tell me if you find them out of line.

How many lbs lost per week is your goal? I can't even imagine losing 12 lbs per week...that's massive, what kind of meds are you using? Do you often throw up when you're not losing as much as you think you should?

I can't help but worry about you, my daughter is continually flirting with starving herself or binging and purging. I see what it does to her and how she hates her body and I detest the thought of anyone else going through the same thing. Feel free to share if you need to talk.

Oh, the vomiting isn't intentional- it's a side effect of the medication.
I've been on it before- I don't really have much control over how much weight I lose per week.
I just try to "hang on"- survive constantly feeling like I'm having a heart attack for a few weeks.
My doctor wants me to lose thirty more pounds, but I think I should lose more-
surely part of the reason I weigh so low in the first place is because I'm not eating and drinking because I get sick,
plus I'm sure I'll gain some back automatically when I stop taking it, and start eating "normally".
I'd like at least a ten lb "buffer zone". I'm on Phentermine, btw,
and it's important to know there is literally no other means for me to lose weight except through such extremes-
I have a non-existent metabolism and another (suspected) disorder.

I'm very sorry about your daughter. My hatred of my body started when I was very young (I've always been overweight).
The thought of knowing a child of mine hated herself as much as I did would absolutely shatter me.

Thank you for the kind words, good luck to you and your daughter.

In retrospect, I don't think I should have posted here- it really has nothing to do with "diet and exercise", and could very well disturb some people who don't know the situation....

shadowchyld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2011, 1:15 pm

HAHA had stomach bug all weekend and couldn't eat. Score one for the weight loss endeavors LOL Of course then again, my metabolism is probably dead right now. Snacking on healthy stuff today.

deeprooted
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2011, 3:50 pm

Bethie wrote:
Oh, the vomiting isn't intentional- it's a side effect of the medication.
I've been on it before- I don't really have much control over how much weight I lose per week.
I just try to "hang on"- survive constantly feeling like I'm having a heart attack for a few weeks.
My doctor wants me to lose thirty more pounds, but I think I should lose more-
surely part of the reason I weigh so low in the first place is because I'm not eating and drinking because I get sick,
plus I'm sure I'll gain some back automatically when I stop taking it, and start eating "normally".
I'd like at least a ten lb "buffer zone". I'm on Phentermine, btw,
and it's important to know there is literally no other means for me to lose weight except through such extremes-
I have a non-existent metabolism and another (suspected) disorder.

I'm very sorry about your daughter. My hatred of my body started when I was very young (I've always been overweight).
The thought of knowing a child of mine hated herself as much as I did would absolutely shatter me.

Thank you for the kind words, good luck to you and your daughter.

In retrospect, I don't think I should have posted here- it really has nothing to do with "diet and exercise", and could very well disturb some people who don't know the situation....

May I begin by disagreeing with you? This thread is intended to be a motivational place to check in regarding weight issues in general. Diet and exercise are not all inclusive in that regard...you are an example of that. Plus, it's nice to support people of varying circumstances don't you think? You have a unique perspective and your experiences are valuable. You clarified your situation quite well, so I can't begin to imagine that anyone could be disturbed by your situation. I'm glad you checked in. :D