Anyone else NOT got an AS/ASD family member?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 5:25 pm

I'm wondering, if AS/ASD is genetic, and often passed down through the family...
...is it strange that none of my family members have AS/ASD?

Really thinking hard the closest I can think of is my uncle Tim who was always great fun but not much of a people person, still not enough characteristics to say he might have Asperger's. Anyone else not got AS/ASD family members either?

While on the subject of family, how likely is it that my kids may end up with autism or asperger's when my partner is NT?

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 5:35 pm

I don't have anyone in my family that I know of. Neither my parents are extreme NTs though.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Mar 2011, 5:36 pm

Let's see... One of my second cousins is autistic. One of my grandnephews is autistic, but I don't think we're related. I think (but have no real proof, just observations) that my father is autistic.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 5:40 pm

None in my family that I know of...

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 6:18 pm

None diagnosed. Some undiagnosed I suspect.

Dearly-Stars
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 6:38 pm

None that were diagnosed.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 7:53 pm

My uncle-grand-grandparent was the "crazyman of the village" (but, at the same time, was considered very inteligent); I suspect that he could have ASD.

Many (most?) people in my maternal side - specially the females- are "strange", but not as any diagnostic with anything.

anonymoussun
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2011, 8:21 pm

As far as I know of no one in my family has aspergers.I really believe that it has to do with the vaccines and specific viruses.

MichaelDWhite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 8:24 pm

No one diagnosed, but AS characteristics abound on all sides.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 8:32 pm

Count me in. Since no one is diagnosed but me, I consider myself the only aspie. Only the undiagnosed ones I suspect like my grandmother or my uncle or maybe my cousin and aunt my mom suspected. My great uncle could have had it too but he is dead so I will never know for sure.

JusSumBudi

29 Mar 2011, 8:39 pm

All genetic in my family. My grandmother, father and brother all have it

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

29 Mar 2011, 8:41 pm

I'm the only official aspie in the family as far as I can tell. However, there are extended relatives whom most certainly fit the diagnostic criteria for AS.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 9:48 pm

My mom and sister are very NT-like, but my dad seems to show mild AS characteristics, although nothing compared to me (or he just hides them). I've never met anyone on my dads side of the family, so I don't know for sure how they are, but from what he says they are extremely crazy. Everyone else on my moms side is mostly NT, with one or two AS characteristics.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 10:38 pm

My dad has some aspie traits but his social skills aren't good and mine are better than his.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 10:42 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
I'm wondering, if AS/ASD is genetic, and often passed down through the family...
...is it strange that none of my family members have AS/ASD?

Really thinking hard the closest I can think of is my uncle Tim who was always great fun but not much of a people person, still not enough characteristics to say he might have Asperger's. Anyone else not got AS/ASD family members either?

While on the subject of family, how likely is it that my kids may end up with autism or asperger's when my partner is NT?

No one in my family has an ASD but me. My father and grandmother could be the only other candidates, but I don't think they have one.

As far as your kids having an ASD, theres no way to be sure since there aren't any tests that can tell you if you have genetic markers. At least not that I know of.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 11:20 pm

League_Girl wrote:
My dad has some aspie traits but his social skills aren't good and mine are better than his.

This is exactly the same for me........no diagnosed aspies on the family......but my dad might have undiagnosed AS and his social skills are in some ways deplorable ....worse than mine and I was diagnosed! My mom is definitely not a diagnosable aspie but she is very introverted and oddly has severe sensory issues (especially with touch and the feel of clothing).