Do you feel your brain when you are thinking?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DeadCow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2011, 5:11 pm

Just curious
I just did some logic problems and I don't use my left side of my brain because I am right handed often and I felt it tingle.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:24 pm

DeadCow wrote:
Just curious
I just did some logic problems and I don't use my left side of my brain because I am right handed often and I felt it tingle.

Isn't it statistically likely that as a right-hander, your left brain is dominant?

I think maths-related headaches aren't uncommon, I get them when working on particularly bad integration problems, or when manipulating large arrays of data.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:32 pm

When I meditate I can feel things happening in certain parts of my head.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 10:04 pm

I'm thinking right now and I can really feel my brain. The right side of my brain feels the most tingly.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 12:39 am

the closest i got to feeling my brain tingle, is when i was much younger and with keener hearing, and i could actually hear and feel my blood coursing through the tiny vessels in my head. other than that, i can't say i could actually "feel" anything going on in my gray matter. every other part of me feels but my brain, which thinks after a fashion but seems numb otherwise. my brain does make the rest of me hurt when i am depressed, and at those times i feel a sense of lethargy or drowsiness up there, but no specific feeling otherwise.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 1:10 am

IIRC, there aren't any pain nerves in the brain, though the sacs around the brain do have them. Not sure about the ventricles or the blood vessels, though. Anyway, I also remember that there is "referred pain," which is where the brain will interpret pain from one place as coming from another place (like heart pain in the left arm during a heart attack). So, maybe that's where tingling "inside" the brain comes from.

Back in my computer hacking days (teen years, 1980's) I remember feeling as if my brain was 'buzzing' after a long sessions of writing code. Can't say that it felt localized on one side or the other, though.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 5:51 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
IIRC, there aren't any pain nerves in the brain, though the sacs around the brain do have them.

When I reported my brain activity in meditation on a Buddhist forum, I was told something very similar. So I guess it's just my brain sac buzzing, for whatever reason

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 6:40 am

No, because then you'd be feeling your brain all of the time, which is physiologically impossible.

Any "feeling" you have is purely psychological, not sensory. The brain organ itself cannot really "feel" anything (as in, if you poked at it, it wouldn't "feel" anything because the brain tissue itself does not have any pain sensors); however, oddly enough to some people, it is the organ that registers pain.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 6:09 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
No, because then you'd be feeling your brain all of the time, which is physiologically impossible.

Any "feeling" you have is purely psychological, not sensory. The brain organ itself cannot really "feel" anything (as in, if you poked at it, it wouldn't "feel" anything because the brain tissue itself does not have any pain sensors); however, oddly enough to some people, it is the organ that registers pain.

Actually, I don't think it's necessarily only "psychological" -- that's why I mentioned "referred pain," where the brain perceives pain in a different place than where it is happening. I haven't heard if it happens with the "brain sac," but it seems possible. Maybe lots of left-brain thinking causes certain blood vessels which pass through (or are embedded in) the the "brain sac" (I should really look up right word for that) to expand, and the brain interprets that as a tinging sensation inside the head.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 6:12 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
IIRC, there aren't any pain nerves in the brain, though the sacs around the brain do have them. Not sure about the ventricles or the blood vessels, though. Anyway, I also remember that there is "referred pain," which is where the brain will interpret pain from one place as coming from another place (like heart pain in the left arm during a heart attack). So, maybe that's where tingling "inside" the brain comes from.

Back in my computer hacking days (teen years, 1980's) I remember feeling as if my brain was 'buzzing' after a long sessions of writing code. Can't say that it felt localized on one side or the other, though.

The blood vessels do, the ventricles probably don't. I imagine its a combo of referred sensation and sensation from blood vessels.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Mar 2011, 9:54 pm

My brain feels weird when I zone-out & have major problems focusing on anything. One of my stoner friends says it sounds like what he feels inside his brain when he's high. I also sometimes feel very weird in my head when I think about a certain girl I have a huge crush on

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 10:31 am

I get massive migranes after I have an outburst, but I think this is from too much stress I have caused for myself, and my heart beating really fast with anger and frustration. Nothing to do with my brain physically.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 11:59 am

I have a sense that mathematical calculations are taking place behind my eyes, but I don't feel anything physical. Deeper thinking with an emotional content takes place in my upper chest and I know if my whole being accepts the conclusion because that area feels relaxed, or conversely tight, if part of me disagrees.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 8:23 pm

Yup, it feels like it is processing.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 8:34 pm

I've never felt my brain, and the thought of it makes no sense to me.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Aug 2011, 8:41 pm

The brain doesn't have any nerve endings. I'm just as confused as Sammich. :?