Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 12:46 am

I'm always "adjusting" my clothing because I'm so uncomfortable in it.

Melinda7879
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2011, 12:54 am

I have a problem with tags, scratchy materials, and pants that feel tight around my knees. My biggest clothing related problem is shoes, though. I have to have my shoe laces tied to exactly the same tightness or I will seriously freak out. There have been time that I've actually sat down and sobbed because I couldn't get them right. Now I just try to avoid laces altogether. Flip flops in the summer and pull on boots in the winter.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 1:26 am

I also have issues with clothing, but I don't have to wear them to find out. I can just touch them with my hands and decide if they feel awful. Some I can just look at and know how they will feel. My mother is actually bothered by that. Apparently I am the only person she knows who can see a pair of jeans and find them aesthetically pleasing and then reject them upon touching them. Most of my jeans are "skinny jeans" and "soft". A lot of blue jean material is hard and scratchy (to me) so it is a pain in the ass to find some that feel "right" and THEN I have to try them on to see if they hug me the right way. They can fit and still be too tight or too loose...like...stay on my waist but feel baggy in weird areas or feel too tight without actually being too tight (i think that may be a fabric thing). Shirts also have to pass the touch test, and then sleeve length has to be evaluated...that is a big issue for me. Short sleeves can't be too short...long sleeves HAVE to be too long so that the cover most of my hands or they feel wrong.

Then there are tags and seams...most tags must be removed. Some of the softer ones are OK, but some of the soft ones can feel creepy like a bug on my skin. All hard/scratchy tags get ripped out. When I was a kid, I would scratch myself raw when I had to deal with them. I HATE the seams on the toes of socks. THEY SHOULD BE OUTLAWED. Seriously, death to sock seams over the toes!! !!

My shoe strings have to be equally tight on each foot or it feels weird. I can't have that heel dent in my shoes from putting them on the lazy way...it drives me nuts.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2011, 3:14 am

When I was in school they didn't make many jeans with fabric other than that tough denim so I rarely wore jeans because they were so uncomfortable. I was often told that was weird by my friends. Now I wear jeans sometimes because you can get them with other materials.

I used to wear a lot of velour because it's soft. I'm very happy that they started making the underwear with the labels printed, instead of sewn on, I really hated the tags scratching me.

I usually wear men's tees because in addition to having funny stuff on them they also fit better. Most women's tees that I have are cut to short, so they are constantly riding up. Plus the neckline gets stretched out & looks worn after only a couple of wears. I usually still buy men's tees that are fitted, so you can see my shape, but they are way more comfortable than women's.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 6:53 am

I can only wear 100% cotton. 90% of the time I wear army trousers and baggy t-shirts. I am a woman but I wear boxer shorts instead of knickers because I cannot STAND tight clothes. I don't want to feel my clothes if I can help it. If only walking around naked could be acceptable lol. I hate bras too but unfortunately I have breasts and I have to wear them.

Godless_lawyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2011, 8:34 am

Is this an AS thing or just people's personal preferences/comfort levels? I ask because I'm interested.

I assumed everyone found certain clothes unbearable to wear.

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

04 Aug 2011, 11:53 am

I think it's a mix of both. Most of the posts I've read on this thread describe people only wanting clothing that is soft to the touch, and a dislike of anything rough or scratchy.
That can apply to NT, too, but probably not to the extent that AS people will take it.
I can't stand rough/scratchy clothing either, and will not buy clothes in certain fabrics because of how they feel and will frequently remove the tags and labels as they catch on my skin..
LIke most of the posters above, I won't generally buy clothes that are 100% man-made materials (although new fleeces seem OK) so usually stick to cotton, or blends, or occasionally silk if i can afford it.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2011, 6:04 pm

I won't wear dresses, mini skirts, halter tops, or bikinis, not only for sensory reasons but also because I'm very modest and don't like to show much skin. I also hate stockings and high heels, because they never fit me right and I can't walk in heels to save my life!! I very rarely dress up except on the rare occasions when I go to something formal. Oh, and did I mention I hate wearing makeup, too? :wink:

Yep, I'm a jeans/sweats/tees kind of girl!! :wink: