Anyone else going to watch the royal wedding?

Page 6 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 6:53 am

I missed it because it was on at four o'clock in the morning but I woke up at seven and saw the two kiss twice on the balcony. Then, I saw the Police rudely shoving people out of the circle, very briskly, I thought. Those people waited for hours in that crowd just to be pushed away like that. The event lasted, what, fifteen minutes. It is way overrated. I wouldn't waste all my time with it if the cops were going to make me leave right after. Why can't I linger a while in Victoria Circle after the event instead of being treated like a potential threat and hastily pushed away?

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 4:40 am

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
ChekaMan wrote:
I saw some of it on TV. I am happy for the couple; but they should have had to finance the wedding with their own money like everyone else in the country.

They did. The wedding was paid for out of their private incomes. The taxpayer only paid for the security.

And in all fairness, they aren't just there to secure "the couple" or the dignitary. A very large crowd of people is a big target, and the Met still (just about) understands the concept of the innocent civilian.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 12:08 pm

Macbeth wrote:
MotherKnowsBest wrote:
ChekaMan wrote:
I saw some of it on TV. I am happy for the couple; but they should have had to finance the wedding with their own money like everyone else in the country.

They did. The wedding was paid for out of their private incomes. The taxpayer only paid for the security.

And in all fairness, they aren't just there to secure "the couple" or the dignitary. A very large crowd of people is a big target, and the Met still (just about) understands the concept of the innocent civilian.

I think they did a fab job considering big gatherings in London usually result in mayhem.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 6:32 pm

I watched the Royal wedding on Friday. I hope it goes well for Kate and Prince William, and not end in tears 15 years later like what happened to Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 1:46 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
MotherKnowsBest wrote:
ChekaMan wrote:

I think they did a fab job considering big gatherings in London usually result in mayhem.

The pre-emptive strike on suspected activists/Facebook cull/not fielding the Riot Squad in the front line probably helped.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 2:42 pm

Azolet wrote:
(I'm not sure if this is the right category for this topic, but...)

So, typically, I don't care about celebrity relationships/weddings, but I really like Kate and William, and I really really want to watch their wedding on TV! How about you guys?

Watched it for about 3 minutes, got bored and flipped the channel.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 3:33 pm

I slept through the actual wedding but I did watch the William & Kate Liftime TV movie yesterday for the lulz. Fun times :P

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 8:53 pm

Nier - Yes! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was enchanted by the trees! Absolutely lovely and vaguely magical. Reminded me of something from Tolkien, too. Also very Robin Hoodish.

MyWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2011, 4:50 am

What I don't understand about Brits celebrating royal wedding because from what I understand, it costed about 40 million dollars (converse into pounds, however much that was) when people are still unemployed. I don't mean to offend any Brits on WP, but this reminds me of communist countries where brainwashed citizens worship dictators that make millions in the bank while citizens starve.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 10:29 am

Assuming your figures are correct, that works out at approximately 30p per person.

Approximately 2 billion people in over 180 countries around the world tuned in to watch. How much do you think an advertising campaign of that size would cost?

(I'll give you a clue. The US budget for an ad campaign aimed at encouraging foreign visitors is $200 million per annum. Do you think it'll reach as many people?)