How is or was your high school social life?

Page 7 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 10:49 am

non-existant

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 11:16 am

A mix of negative and non-existant.
Either bullying, or being ignored for the most part.
There were a few guys who tried to include me, and one girl who tried to be my girlfriend, but they all lost interest/got fed up with the difficulties on their end.
Sixth form was easier (at that point in time UK schooling was optional from age 16 onwards)
very small classes (8 in the largest I took) and both myself and my fellow students having got over the worst of puberty’s inherent hormonal mess meant the bullying stopped.
The physical aspect of bullying had stopped 18 months prior due to my lashing out on two occasions, and the games master putting me on the rugby team in response: which was terrifying but at least it meant the big sporty boys were motivated to look out for my safety.

The one thing that stayed with me though was the end of school dinner after A levels had ended,
I got a bit tipsy, lost my inhibitions and was talking to one of the ‘most popular clique girls’,
at the end of the evening she said: “I’m sorry we never got to know each other, you’re still the weirdest boy I’ve ever met, but you also seem the nicest.” :roll:
Better too late than not at all I suppose :roll:
I’m still grateful to her for that single sentence two decades later.

Tove
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2020, 11:02 am

In general, I have a lot of funny moments and it was really cool. Although I wasn't an excellent student and often applied to writing services. By the way, I can share personal experience. There are many things to consider when choosing a writing service. First of all, you should pay attention to the reviews. As we all know, if the service is good, there are plenty of reviews. Also, it's better to avoid services with too low prices. You can check reviews at [url[/url], it's a very helpful website.

Last edited by B19 on 06 May 2020, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Spammer

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 6:28 am

It sucked.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 9:26 am

Social life? I assume high school is secondary school which I was in from the age of 11 to the age of 16?
My social life was almost non existant. Even in school I just had a small group of friends (About three or four of us) and we were not even the same age! We sort of all came together because we found ourselves as standing out as different and we kinda gelled because we could not fit in anywhere else. But we did not, or very rarely did we ever meet outside of school. Other then that, and having the odd single friend for a year or two and then not, my social life kinda didn't happen. Not in the same way that I saw other kids of my age.

kjeezy0127
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2020, 7:49 pm

user1001 wrote:
I would like to know how well did you get along with everyone in high school when you were there? Did you like it or did you hate it? What did you like about your high school or what did you not like about it?

There were a few bullies that knew I had autism and used it as an opportunity to pick on me. That mainly happened in 9th and 10th grade though. In 11th grade, I moved to a gifted program and didn't have this problem as much in that program. Honestly, didn't like the whole social hiearchy and clique aspect of high school very much. I mainly had two groups of friends in high school and would hangout regularly with about 3-5 friends outside of school. I feel like I had many aquaintances but a few true friends. I still stay in touch with my three closest friends from high school.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 5:24 pm

Girls became very complicated in high school. If you were either too mature or too immature for their standards then they didn't like you and your risk of being bullied was high.
And most girls had to be nasty just for the sake of being nasty, like they wanted to stir up drama. Like one time I said to a girl that I didn't like her friend's mum (who worked as a teacher's assistant at the school), I didn't say it horribly, I just said that I wasn't keen on her because she had yelled at me one time. But this stupid girl had to say, in a nasty sort of way, "oh, I'm going to tell my friend that!" and marched off eagerly to tell her. It was all very unnecessary, and of course the teacher's assistant's daughter gave me a mouthful of abuse and threatened to smack my face in if I said anything else about her mum. Of course she told her mum what I'd said, but, being a mature adult, her mum didn't take any offense to it. These girls were just finding any excuse to be bitchy.
I wish I'd told her mum the nasty things her daughter had said to me, but I thought it might stir the hornets nest back up, so I said nothing.

And that's the sort of s**t I had to put up with for 5 years. I suppose it was my own fault though. I had such low self-esteem, that I backed away from nicer girls because I thought they were too good for me, so I kind of stuck to the wrong girls and suffered such harsh social rejection and bullying. I do wish I could go back to my teenage years with a bit more sense.

Phoenix20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2020, 1:10 am

Non-existent and terrible experiences at high school. If only I did not have Aspergers, my life would have been so much better.

Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 4:38 am

Not terrible. I had a circle of friends I hung out with everyday. Back then, I didn't know about ASD and by "hung out" I mean "imitated their behaviour in order to fit in". In the graduation yearbook, I was labelled as the "class artist" with an "incredible ability for self-injury". (Yes, I still bump into things on a daily basis.)

I think I might've caused some bad blood dropping off their radar after graduation, but I personally felt better off alone.

Never properly "bullied". Just the usual surrounding teen angst spilling off on you.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 4:52 am

I was also a "ghost" during High School. I was deeply uncomfortable in my own skin, massively unsure of myself. I had a couple of 'friends' whom I mostly argued politics (and baseball!) with, but I was basically a loner. I mean I wanted friends, and was very lonely, but my odd appearance, hand me down clothes and weird overall presentation made that nearly impossible

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 10:35 pm

School life in general was bad, very bad. I returned to my 'hometown' earlier this year and collected the last of my things from my parents houses. I don't plan to return to that place for a long time if I can help it.

crybabybloomer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2020, 12:12 am

Upon entering high school, I had a few friends and yet I was nervous because I wondered if people would see me negatively. I had been bullied when I was in grade school and I hoped it wouldn't happen again.

Looking back as I graduated from there a year ago, I made a great impression on my schoolmates. Gained a lot of friends from my class, other classes, debate team, school magazine, and other schoolmates that get to know me as some sort of "role model". It was surprising, but it made me feel comfortable in an environment that's pretty toxic if you ask me. Many people actually would tell me that they like being with me even as I tend to start conversations and I get to act weirdly at times. Most importantly, they understood me and treated me like neurotypical (I don't get much special treatment, for instance).

Gotta like being gradually social in high school, and it set me up for being more of that when I got to college.

Epitafu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2020, 12:28 am

Not objetively bad, but forgettable. I didn't get seriously bullied during HS, but i was sorta like the background kid that everyone was friendly and cutesy with out of pity, yet not gossip material or anything laughable either.

Then again i was voluntarily introverted during those years. I was really "ahead of my age" and didn't really connect with other kids; (at least in my classroom) Everyone - including the geeks - were sorta trying to be like HS movie minijocks bragging about grades, their parent's wealth, or relationships. And any interest that wasn't pop music, minecraft, sports or class assignments was usually mocked away.
Internet strangers were my only friends back then, and i don't lament that.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2020, 7:06 am

Pretty fun honestly. My personal aide from 6th to 10th grade had daughters who played sports so the jocks and cheerleaders were always nice to me (probably one of the reasons I still have a thing for athletic women today). Once I was on my own 11th and 12th grade things got a little harder but not unbearable.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2020, 4:06 pm

In a word painful. I wasnt diagnosed till age 25, so I went through school trying incredibly hard to be the same as everyone id grown up with no idea why I just couldnt pull it off. Id make friends with a person and things would be fine for a few months, then they would randomly go distant or just outright start avoiding me, then id spend morning break and lunch alone for a bit until someone else popped up and the cycle would repeat. I had one friend who i was close/semi close with all through school and a bit afterwards, but i think that was more out of a sense of obligation than anything. He was very popular and we'd been friends since age 3, i think he just really wanted to bring me up there with him and was annoyed when i ended up disappointing him repeatedly. In the end he just realised all his friends thought i was a freak and we didnt really speak much from age 14 till secondary school ended. Then connected again at 6th form.

I had undiagnosed ADHD as well so I would literally constantly be in trouble for forgetting to do my homework/turning up late/daydreaming, the teachers never brought anything up with my parents though, instead they just labelled me a bad seed/troublemaker or lazy, mainly because my older sister went to the same school and was all 3 of those things. Jokes on them though as i passed most of my subjects except the stuff which really bored me (maths, sceince, design) with a B grade even without doing half the coursework.

Always wonder what things would have ended up like had i been diagnosed as a child.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 4:08 pm

A stepping stone towards alcoholism.