How is or was your high school social life?

Page 8 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2020, 6:11 pm

I was pretty isolated for a lot of it (I remember a lot of lunch breaks spent by myself), though I did have some friends, more towards the second half. I was really into listening to music, so it was often easier for me to just do that than talk to people.

I always had at least one friend who I would hang out with outside of school, and then gradually grew that to a number of people. So it wasn't all that bad.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2020, 8:29 am

My time was honestly very good and I look back on those years fondly. I wasent in the pocular crowd but there wasn't much in the way of social strata anyway. If the popular kids came nearby I never had any grief from them.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 10:21 am

The school I went to was kind of big, with 2,500-ish students in three grades so I definitely did not know everybody or even half of the people in my grade but I spent a lot of time trying to be friends with and liked by girls who wanted instead to use me and take advantage of the fact that I wanted to be friends with them and would end up being left out and excluded from their after-school and weekend plans and feeling depressed due to that. Towards the end of high school, I came to realize they weren't very nice people and I then connected with others that I still am friends with today but I of course wish I had given up on trying to befriend those other girls earlier because it was very discouraging and a waste of time trying to fit in with them.

My Tumblr

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 10:26 am

In my first secondary, it was good. I had three groups of friends and used to flit between them depending on if I wanted to talk about football, talk casually or talk about politics/books/smart arsed stuff.

In my second secondary, I got bullied. I had friends when my teacher realised the mistake and put me in the classes I was meant to be in but the bottom set rougher kids hated me.

In my sixth form (still technically school by American standards), I hung out with the lads and was just one of the gang.

I struggled to get on with girls platonically but even at my first secondary, when it was Section 28 etc, I managed to get girlfriends. And in my first secondary, girls were part of that second - casual conversation - group.

GameCube
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2020, 12:24 am

I was okay with it as my elementary school experience was terrible and I wanted to take high school as an opportunity to find myself. I was in a group with 3 close friends and we got along all throughout high school. During this time I felt like I had more freedom to be myself and I really didn't care what other people thought of me. I didn't have my autism diagnosis and I really felt free to express myself through the clothes I wore, the classes I chose, and how I interacted with others. I was much less inhibited back then and thinking about it now it's really strange.

At some point in post secondary school I became much more self aware and it lead me to a autism diagnosis. Eventually I became very withdrawn and reserved.

Phoenix20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2020, 11:06 pm

I hated school because it is so hard making friends with Aspergers.
School and Aspergers do not mix.
I hated being misunderstood because of my Aspergers.

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2020, 4:39 pm

Best years of my life. I find it harder making friends as an adult.

SourToTheCore
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2020, 9:19 am

I went to a "specials" High School for kids who couldn't fit into a "normal" school setting so our class sizes were about 10 to 8 students. It wasn't a big school. I made a few friends there manly guys, I did have one female "friend." I would only consider one of them as close friend at the time he was really sweet unfortunately we lost contact after we graduated. One of the guys I was friends with is in prison for the rest of his life for murder (I'm not saying his name due to privacy reasons) And everyone grew up has kids now (well most of them had the kids in HS but anyway) I'm all alone now, no friends no contacts. High School was better, I was healthier mentally and physically. But you can't live in the past I guess.

BottleCap2.0
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2020, 8:17 pm

It was mostly non-existent. It was better than the few times my times in school did have any social involvement because any friends I had disliked or hated me eventually without even knowing why. It made me have to be avoidant around those people and it was awkward.
Most lunchtimes were with me and me only and it was so peaceful going for walks.