How is or was your high school social life?

Page 1 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 12:25 am

I had one close friend in grade 11 and for about half of grade 12................otherwise no friends...............but I wasn't bullied or despised like I was in elementary and middle school..............this was an improvement..............

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 8:04 am

i was bullied and isolated from kindy to high schools end. i had 3 people i could loosely call friends and a bunch of others i hung out with. i didn't go out with them much out of school. i left school with no social skills and said good bye to my friends. i either did not hang out with people because i could not, i did not like them or i wanted to be alone. i'm alone now. ive gotten more socially inept since graduation. no practice i guess.

Sirius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Apr 2011, 9:58 pm

I went to high school in the 80s and I liked the classes and teachers but hated the social order, even more cliquish back then. Sports was another sore point for me because while I was 6'3", I had very poor coordination and was in the marching band instead of any sports teams.

I had one close friend who is still my best friend today. When I didn't have that friend or other friends to socialize with, I would read science fiction novels in the library during lunch time. I did not date in high school.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 11:05 pm

It was the worst. I was extremely isolated. My old friends from 8th grade left me and suddenly ignored me. I attended a ghetto high school where people were either a gangster or a goth. I spent all three of my years a loner. Everyone flat out ignored me, because I could not fit in.

University has been the difference between heaven and hell. I am a lot happier at my university.

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2011, 7:33 pm

Both middle school and high school were the worst years of my life. I had absolutely zero friend, not one single, solitary friend as I was considered the laughingstock of the entire school. College was waaay better as the adult world is a lot more tolerant of quirky behavior than the mean world of teenagers. Also the cliques are not as prominent in college (my experience anyway).

Here's a summary of my actual high school experience in the early 1990s:
http://www.myaspergerslifestory.com/my_ ... years.html

ItalianStallion1119

02 May 2011, 12:30 am

Well high school sucked...

As in virtually every school, there are levels of cliques and I tried to fit in with the top clique in 9th grade. I wore the same clothes because my mom still shopped for me (she wanted me to look "nice") and the fact that her one of her best friend's nephew is 1 of the kids in the rich, preppy clique, I was often compared to him and felt I needed to be in that clique.

Of course that didn't work and I was picked on by some of the guys in that clique but I was mostly picked on by kids who were just a step down and didn't dress preppy but were well liked and some who quite frankly were scummier. These kids were still mostly liked though and although I never had a girl pick on me, I can tell that some looked at me in low regard.

Here's to say that some of the preppy kids and other classes did stand up for me a couple times, but not enough to make me well-liked.

So in 10th grade, I rebelled against my mom and began to pick out my clothes, I grew my hair out longer and was your typical "hoodie kid." At least my mom called me that, a "hoodlum," a "convict"...anyway it was not a big deal to me as I finally felt comfortable...I had a few close friends in school, none who were popular, some who were regarded higher and never got picked on and some who were picked on as much as me. I gained more aquintances but never a close friend when it came to girls.

In my junior and senior year, I toned it down on the "hoodieness" (lol if that made sense) and I became pretty quiet. I could talk with some kids of all cliques, even girls. All of the cliques had jerks and genuinely nice kids. Anyway I was basically a ghost in my last 2 years in high school, I bowled for the school team, but that wasn't highly regarded at all, no one paid attention to that. On top of that because of my low self-esteem/confidence that built up through the years, I never had the courage to ask a girl to the junior prom or senior ball...I know it's sad.

It hit me really hard when I went to the senior banquet, which was bascially a casual prom and watched a powerpoint that the senior class made (popular girls and some guys) and I was not shown once in 15 minutes and hundreds of pictures. When my name was called when I graduated, the reaction was nothing except for loud cheers when a popular kid did a standing backflip as I was walking off...I was the only one who didn't see it so I thought maybe I was being cheered, even though I knew deep down that wasn't reality.

It just went to show that I wasn't known in high school and that when someone brings up my name, only 2% of the school would recognize the name only because they were my friends.

So basically high school wasn't a good time for me and I often look back at my yearbook and feel bad that I never made an impact, but oh well, I can't change the past.

2010Dolby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2011, 11:25 pm

my high school experience: legendary. when i graduated my class had 10 students in it. we were ALL the closest and best buds. every thursday friday and saturday night you could ask any of my classmates to hang out and it didnt matter because we ALL ended up going to the same party anyway. i miss high school so so so much...

NOC3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2011, 12:13 am

Innocent.

Oblivious.

Awkward.

Fun.

Amusing.

Thundermist04167
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 May 2011, 6:56 pm

unciauncia wrote:
I didn't realize how socially isolated I was until college--but in high school I had a few VERY close friends and didn't realize I lacked the skills to interact on an acquaintance basis. I had few issues talking to teachers or participating in group conversations, but in college the lack of social skills really bit me in the butt.

It occurred to me that I had the same problem. But why don't such people recognize each other? I often wonder why social misfits aren't attracted to each other.

Ya_Mad_Bra
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2011, 10:11 pm

Thundermist04167 wrote:
unciauncia wrote:
I didn't realize how socially isolated I was until college--but in high school I had a few VERY close friends and didn't realize I lacked the skills to interact on an acquaintance basis. I had few issues talking to teachers or participating in group conversations, but in college the lack of social skills really bit me in the butt.

It occurred to me that I had the same problem. But why don't such people recognize each other? I often wonder why social misfits aren't attracted to each other.

Yea, high school I had few friends and did over 300 hours of community service because I was bored and my high school used the kids who were ahead and didnt have classes as an excuse to get the community hours required for graduation done. I've only completed a semster of community college so far and the only thing that has kept me from going insanely bored is facebook and a few online and console games.

As for my social life, it's almost non-existant because all my friends and people I meet are too busy to talk or are trying to move out of the small town I'm in because of family, personal issues, can't find a job, college, or there isn't anything to do in the town. Besides a movie theatre/bowling/skating ring,/diner place that I work at.

Anyone else have the same problem with boredom?

Last edited by Ya_Mad_Bra on 23 May 2011, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 10:16 pm

user1001 wrote:
How is or was your high school social life?

Practically non-existent.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CitizenKane
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2011, 10:28 pm

I look back at the living hell I went through, nvm that was like 2 weeks ago from today- haven't been to school since ' dropping out - another way of putting it , i'd restart my whole school life (whole life) - if i was reborn again , as a normal person.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 12:07 am

I had a good one, since I was in resource classes... I was around those with learning disabilities and the sort. Some of my friends were emo and I felt I related to them in some way but they also loved anime. I had one friend who was mentally challenged and my best friend, well not sure what she had, her name was Tina... loved her to death. I miss her though.

But it wasn't like that in elementary. I was more socially active in high school because of being in resource classes, people were on the same wave length as me as far as my learning disability, anxiety and ADHD were at... but not so much with Autism... otherwise I would have gotten noise-block headphones and had better accommodations for my needs.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2011, 7:31 am

Back when I was in a normal High School I had no friends at all and got picked on a lot for being lonely and
different. I moved to a Special School where I stay in a unit for Aspies. I have quite a few friends in their. Still
though outside of school I have no social life at all.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 12:50 pm

I was rarely bullied in high school. Many people treated me nicely, but they never bothered to form a closer social friendship with me. They would instead take advantage of me. You see, I did silly harmless things just to make people become best friends with me and get girlfriends, such as rapping and dancing. But these things never worked at all. All those people encouraged me to continue rapping and dancing for them, but they never invited me out, never returned my phone calls, and claimed that they were too damn busy to hang out with them. It really saddened and angered me, and I stopped doing crazy $**t to please people would didn't care so much about me.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 6:31 pm

I got along with a few geeks.. few popular kids (who kinda only had me around because I was their neighbor) .. but thats it... I was considered weird but innocent, nerdy and intelligent... My teachers thought I was lazy and clumsy because I did well in science and literature but not in social sciences or maths (not for the lack of trying.. I had to work very hard to pass these subjects) ... I have been diagnosed with motor coordination disability as well so math was hell!