Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Epiphany28
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2011, 6:47 pm

Are you good at singing? And capable of carrying out a tune? Or not?

I can. My son is incredibly capable at a very young age.
(as for me, though, nobody knows I can sing because I'm too 'shy' to show it.)

Just curious what the consensus is. I would expect a lot of us can sing well, based on the way our brains work. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Boggsey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2011, 7:05 pm

I think that I can sing well. At least I can carry a tune (that's atleast better than some people lol). But I also don't sing in front of people so I don't know how well I actually can sing. I'm also not completely positive if I'm an aspie so I guess I don't really count lol.

silver22
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2011, 8:09 pm

I have been told I have a good singing voice. I like to sing and write music. I sometimes listen to my songs to get myself to sleep, a bit narcissistic I know, but if it works then why not.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 8:18 pm

I love singing, but my voice sounds horrible unless I'm singing in a low pitch, since I have a deep voice. But it's fun to sing when I'm alone. :wink:

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 8:28 pm

Absolutely not. I can't hold a tune. I have really poor vocal control. Everything that I speak is monotone.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 8:35 pm

I can't sing or play a musical instrument - but after years of wondering why, I finally figured out what has held me back, and I suspect it is my AS in an odd twist. When I hear a song, I can't isolate the "notes" from the voice of the singer; the simplest way I can explain my problem is to ask you to imagine trying to read - if you were so hyper-aware of the tiny differences in letterforms that you not only noticed the twenty-six letters of the alphabet, but also felt that every single typeface was a different collection of letters. "A" in Arial would be a different letter to you than "A" in Times New Roman.

I'm that way, only with musical notes. Isolating the sound of a specific person's voice, or the tone of an instrument, from the note in order to understand what a note is has always eluded me. The same note played, say, on a guitar and on a piano will sound completely different to me. Weird, I know. :oops:

But I suspect it is weird in such a complex and unusual way, that it is somehow tied to my AS, to how I perceive things, or perhaps some defect in how I was taught that I am now to old to correct.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 9:30 pm

I sing occasionally when I'm sure no one can hear me, but it's always mostly under my breath, and not actually all that good. I can hit the right notes far better at low volume than I can at any higher, more audible volume, though. I tend to sound a lot like Gary Bavonese of Insomnicide and/or Jason Bernath of 55 Stitches (neither of which I expect anyone else here to know of). Never had a single voice lesson, either. Don't know if I ever want one, or I want to just try to learn and practice on my own from time to time.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 9:45 pm

My voice is a bit odd when I speak, so it is when I sing too. I would definitely not say that I have a "pretty" singing voice; however, I am fairly good pitch-wise.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 9:55 pm

I was deceived into thinking this by my 8th grade class. It compelled me to go into high school choir only to find out via auditions that I'm terrible at it. I now realized that they made me think I was a good singer on purpose because my quiet antisocial reputation led them to assume that singing was this sole outlet of mine. It wasn't. I was just singing to myself in the middle of a music class practice (that nobody really cared for) because I was bored and had a song stuck in my head. A classmate drew unwanted attention to it. The rest was history. Now I hate songs and musicals with everything in my entire being.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 3:03 am

I could sing better before my voice changed in adolescence. Now I like to sing or hum to myself here and there, but my voice and sense of the notes aren't good. I played the slide trombone for four years, but could not play in bands, so I left it.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 10:28 am

Epiphany28 wrote:
Are you good at singing? And capable of carrying out a tune? Or not?

I sing a lot, I sing in my own voice and I can carry a tune (though my range is usually slightly off for most songs - for instance, I'm singing Ye Jacobites By Name at the moment, which (sung high) is easily within my range except for one note, and (sung low) is difficult; but I'm not good at singing. Just a good deal better than average. :lol:

The year is still young.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 10:43 am

I'm a great tenor when I have the confidence/am alone.

Regal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2011, 1:22 pm

I've always been able to carry a tune quite well. However, my singing voice lacks that depth of emotion that could make it truly great, much like how my talking voice is always monotone. Not sure if this has to do with my Asperger's, but though I have great pitch, I find my voice itself boring, though others have told me otherwise.

XLCR
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2011, 2:57 pm

I feel almost guilty here, as if I aught to apologize. I can sing and play guitar well enough to have made a living at it for twenty years. And it wasn't hard for me either, the gift of the savant, I guess.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 9:01 pm

REALLY BAD: (I'm the loudest voice in this video)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4p2C_iAYaY[/youtube]

This is how it is supposed to sound:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biBo2eAp024[/youtube]

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Last edited by ocdgirl123 on 04 Apr 2011, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 11:36 pm

I can carry a tune perfectly, but there's more to singing than that.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I