No 52%  52%  [ 34 ]
Used to / quit 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 66

Dave-the-Aussie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Apr 2011, 4:04 am

Yes, no, or used to / quit?

I do, started as a social coping mechanism and a way to generate small talk. Killed off alot of social anxiety, and made me not look like a space alien when not saying anything.

mikeseagle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 5:28 am

I smoke mainly to deal with the stress of life. Like you said it gives me reason not to say something when I'm dragging on one :)

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2011, 9:04 am

No, I think it's disgusting and I can't stand the smell.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 11:01 am

Smoking ban...... :twisted: don't get me started!!

deeprooted
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2011, 3:38 pm

Breathing is too important. 8) Never had any desire to start.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 3:49 pm

Yes. It's a coping mechanism that's (very obviously) become habit on top of mechanism.

It's okay, I understand that I'll die a horrible death with little dignity other than if I just up and kill myself before that degeneration but I don't especially plan to live too horribly long, either.

Don't know who would. People are intolerable and the whole of the universe seems set up to favor evil.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Butterflies
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2011, 4:07 pm

Never. I'm too much of a health freak. I like to walk at least a couple of miles each day. I'm hoping for a long and healthy life :lol:

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 9:58 pm

I never smoked and never wanted to. I don't care if it will help me be social; lung cancer is a slow way to die.

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 10:30 pm

I never smoked and never will. I hate the smell, and think the butts and ashes are disgusting.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 10:40 pm

jelibean wrote:
Smoking ban...... :twisted: don't get me started!!

It wouldn't be so bad if there was actual choice allowed for (privately-owned!) pubs, bars and restaurants but the extreme denormalisation and hysteria promoted by government-funded fake charity ASH and lapped up by MPs prevented this happening.

And I'm a lifelong non-smoker.

MisterJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2011, 2:26 pm

I started smoking cigarettes, I think for mostly the same reasons everyone else did, and because everyone in my family used one form of tobacco or another. Unfortunately, I started smoking when I was nine and now have a respiratory condition that will most likely kill me before I get my first gray hair. I still smoke cigarettes, although, just before I found out I had Aspergers, I had managed to quit for two or three months before the stress of life and my less than fantastic working environment drove me back.

The moral of the story is this; It's a very good idea to just go ahead and skip commercial tobacco. Of course, I'll probably light one up after I hit send.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 8:16 pm

I would never smoke a cigarette, but I have smoked something with about 50% tobacco in it ;)

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 8:49 pm

I've quit for two days and ended up smoking a Colts today. Goddamn this is rough.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 9:52 pm

I quit - 8 happy months of being smoke-free :)

I smoked for 11 years - as well as normal ill-effects I suffered terribly from chest infections and I had suspected minor strokes which smoking seriously contributed to, as I live in poverty it cost me financially, and as an environmentalist focusing on toxins in everyday products you can imagine how well my smoking went down in some circles.

I hated smoking from day one and tried EVERYTHING to quit, finally I went to an Easyway clinic - one of the best things I've ever done for sure! I left the clinic determined I was going to smoke, but never did and know I never will again.

I highly recommend Easyway to quit smoking.
Smoking causes anxiety, trust me it's easier without smoking.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 5:04 am

MisterJ wrote:
... I had managed to quit for two or three months before the stress of life and my less than fantastic working environment drove me back ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7gLJr03vNQ[/youtube]
I smoke *much* less than before my heart attack in '99, but I do still smoke.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 6:46 pm

You forgot an important option - only when I drink.

Generally speaking I 'quit', haven't smoked more than once a week in likely several years, then again when I'm home drinking I won't smoke. Often enough when I'm out with friends even, unless the night is taking way too long, I won't smoke. If I'm getting bored or pissed off though - I might.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin