04 Apr 2011, 1:32 am

Thanks for sharing this Conundrum.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 5:06 am

conundrum wrote:
http://www.parade.com/health/autism/
This is fascinating. Thanks very much for sharing this.

http://www.autscape.org/

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:37 pm

Twolf, KenG--you're welcome. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 6:19 pm

The girl in this article is actually far more fortunate than the real "lost generation" but it does underline the major situation of focusing too much on kids when it comes to ASDs. What about all the people who didn't get diagnosed until their adult years, when it's far too late for them to get any form of proper services to help them in the world that's constantly rejecting them? One thing this article doesn't mention is ASD discrimination. But I'm glad that someone is finally addressing this issue because you rarely hear anyone talk about the future of these kids.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 8:50 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
The girl in this article is actually far more fortunate than the real "lost generation" but it does underline the major situation of focusing too much on kids when it comes to ASDs. What about all the people who didn't get diagnosed until their adult years, when it's far too late for them to get any form of proper services to help them in the world that's constantly rejecting them? One thing this article doesn't mention is ASD discrimination. But I'm glad that someone is finally addressing this issue because you rarely hear anyone talk about the future of these kids.
I agree. Autism didn't just 'pop up' 20 years ago, it has been around for a long time.
And what concerns me is hearing they think they must still stick these kids in a group home when they grow up. If they knew that not every autistic kid is destined for that, maybe they might change their minds?

To me, I think any able-bodied autistic should tell them why they do what they do. To NTs, our behavior probably looks almost chaotic and our reasons for it mysterious, but if we said "This is what I do and this is why I'm doing it" then they might not be tempted to write us off so easily. The parents of that girl Dana were shocked when they learned what she was actually thinking, they had thought she had the mind of a four year old! They need to be educated, or we will be seen as having nothing but bleak futures.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 3:25 pm

I hate this attitude!! Why do people treat someone like this? Why make someone feel helpless? Chances are very good that this young woman can easily learn to care for herself ! !! It's been pointed out that AS has been around for a very long time and people learned (one way or another) to care for themselves. They managed to find employment and a place to live, and more often than not, someone who loves them. But now it's the government and certain groups who make certain that people with AS are convinced they are helpless BABIES ! !!

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 1:12 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I hate this attitude!! Why do people treat someone like this? Why make someone feel helpless? Chances are very good that this young woman can easily learn to care for herself ! !! It's been pointed out that AS has been around for a very long time and people learned (one way or another) to care for themselves. They managed to find employment and a place to live, and more often than not, someone who loves them. But now it's the government and certain groups who make certain that people with AS are convinced they are helpless BABIES ! !!

Hear, hear. I was fortunate enough to have a mother who recognized that something was a little "off" about me but didn't think that made me somehow "less." It's sad that this young woman's parents couldn't see that she had/has the capability to think as well as anyone else her age.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17