Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

steveghio
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2011, 8:28 am

Did anyone watch the tv show on last night about millionaires giving money to charity? I do not want much tv but my mother insisted i watch this program. What a coincidence, showed a wonderful looking place in texas to help autistic adults have fun and communicate. it was neat until i heard a voice over announcer say something like "at this time there is no cure" or something to that affect. I lost my mind at that second(again) and was real real angry. Most people dont like me when i get angry, like the hulk. I can only speak for me, but i do not want to be cured of autism. although, i am college educated and know their are supersmart people out there. I can only hpe when they find a "cure" for autism maybe they can find a cure for me being Hispanic who cannot eat spicy food but happens to look white. "cure" all my problems, autism, wrong skin color, maybe a bit taller, lots of things wrong with me according to many. My friend in the mirror likes me quite a bit.

anyones opinion on having autism or being autistic? If you are in the Spectrum, do you want to be cured? I would like help but not for a cure, i want new people to be nice to me and those around me. what do you want? i am 41 and it seems younger people are much more openminded that my age.
steve

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Apr 2011, 9:11 am

steveghio wrote:
...anyones opinion on having autism or being autistic? If you are in the Spectrum, do you want to be cured? I would like help but not for a cure, i want new people to be nice to me and those around me. what do you want? i am 41 and it seems younger people are much more openminded that my age.
steve

I am 46 and am diagnosed with Asperger's. I don't want to be cured. If a cure were to be found I wouldn't take it. But I can respect other people that would take the cure. I believe it is an individual's choice.

I view autism as a difference rather than a disorder---though I admit to challenges in my life. But I enjoy the special intense interests that autism has given me, so I accept the whole package of autism happily.

I underwent some therapy for issues of relating better with my wife and children. That helped a lot. We all understand each other better now. My therapist said I was being too hard on myself, and that I was a good father and husband in his opinion. We are an extremely close family.

I believe in the acceptance of diversity. It is my hope that everyone can accept everyone even if they are different. I believe it takes all kinds of people (including we with autism) to make the world an effective place. What we autistics are good at, we can add positively to the world, and what the NTs are good at, they can add positively to the world. It takes all types in my opinion to achieve the goals of the world. We must work together and accept each other.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 10:57 pm

steveghio wrote:
Did anyone watch the tv show on last night about millionaires giving money to charity? I do not want much tv but my mother insisted i watch this program. What a coincidence, showed a wonderful looking place in texas to help autistic adults have fun and communicate. it was neat until i heard a voice over announcer say something like "at this time there is no cure" or something to that affect. I lost my mind at that second(again) and was real real angry. Most people dont like me when i get angry, like the hulk. I can only speak for me, but i do not want to be cured of autism. although, i am college educated and know their are supersmart people out there. I can only hpe when they find a "cure" for autism maybe they can find a cure for me being Hispanic who cannot eat spicy food but happens to look white. "cure" all my problems, autism, wrong skin color, maybe a bit taller, lots of things wrong with me according to many. My friend in the mirror likes me quite a bit.

anyones opinion on having autism or being autistic? If you are in the Spectrum, do you want to be cured? I would like help but not for a cure, i want new people to be nice to me and those around me. what do you want? i am 41 and it seems younger people are much more openminded that my age.
steve

I watched this episode last night and I think you're getting a bit too worked up over some basic information on the condition that the announcer was giving. At least the group portrayed was one that was actually centered around helping autistic adults instead of a dull support groups for parents using their uninvolved children to promote finances for a very distant cure.

However I do support your need for more open-mindedness. The sad thing is you can take the most open-minded person, educate them on autism and they still wouldn't know the difference between an autistic person and a weirdo. Something I've come to see for myself. I do wish there were more organizations like they one they portrayed on the show that actually helps the autistic adults that exist now instead of wasting money and resources on a cure for something even the people who run the organization don't even know squat about. The former is actually more doable and more beneficial for everyone than the latter.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 12:03 pm

steveghio wrote:

I like Donna Williams' idea that autism is a fruit salad. That is, it's made up of different things. So, it's not about curing autism or not, but rather, curing or not the different parts that go into the whole.