Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 1:28 am

I love storms, as long as I don't have to be out in them. I hate driving in the rain. As long as I'm indoors, I like heavy rain. I find the sound to be very relaxing. I don't care too much for thunder, though. I find it a bit disturbing.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 1:49 am

I love storms, I actually stayed up all night last week watching a storm that was blowing through. I love everything about them, the wind, the crackle of the lightning, the boom of thunder.

I used to run around outside when it was storming, but I pretty much stay inside or on the porch now, ever since I got struck by lightning I've been less inclined to go running about... though I do still go for walks in the rain if it isn't storming.

I also love driving in the rain, but I seem to be in the minority on that.

rissadc
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Apr 2011, 8:59 pm

I love storms. I've always been obsessed with tornadoes. But lately I find that I'm extremely sensitive to the barometric pressure changes! It's only started happening this week. Its weird, right before a storm, my ears pop, I feel like theres pressure in my head, I get dizzy, I usually have ringing in my ears 24/7 as it is, but it gets a lot louder and high pitched. Does anyone else have this happen to them?

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2011, 4:25 am

I live in CA where thunderstorms are so rare that people make facebook posts whenever they see a flash of lightning. I love storms too but I don't know if its their rarity around here or the feeling of excitement. Once on a trip to Florida, I took a loooong walk in a heavy thunderstorm just for the experience of it. My friend, who was traveling with me (also from lightning shy CA) thought I was nuts.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 10:03 am

I love storms. The way the air suddenly feels so fresh, the wind blowing into my face, and the sky lighting up.

I think I would hate a dangerous storm though. In the UK most storms are safe.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2011, 11:59 am

I also love storms. There is something about them that feels very comforting to me. I lived in Tampa, FL in 1960 when Hurricane Donna came though with a direct hit and actually felt disappointed that it was no more severe than it was even though it was one of the most severe storms on record to hit the area and even though we lived only 25 feet above sea level and 500 feet from the water.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 1:48 pm

Looks like most people love storms here, and I do too.
Unfortunately (or would that be fortunately :P), I've never really experienced a "proper" storm. It's already been picked up on but all that happens here in the UK is rain. Thunder is fairly rare.

JadeEyes
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2011, 2:23 pm

i love the musty smell and the electrical feeling. I love the rolling thunder and the lightning, if you get a real good look at it you find that it comes in a varety of colors, not just white and yellow.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2011, 2:25 pm

TenPencePiece wrote:
Looks like most people love storms here, and I do too.
Unfortunately (or would that be fortunately :P), I've never really experienced a "proper" storm. It's already been picked up on but all that happens here in the UK is rain. Thunder is fairly rare.

Your comment brings to mind something interesting that happened to me years ago. First of all you live too far north to be affected by real storms, which depend on earth heating as their source of energy. However earth heating does not always guarantee storms. I spent my better years living and working on a British owned island in the South Atlantic Ocean that was definitely in the tropics. I will not name the island here to keep from identifying myself too plainly in case someone from that location happens to see this post by some rare chance, but it should not be too difficult to figure out. We had a saying there that "it never rains on (island name)". This was a half joke because once a year in April it always poured and washed away all the soil and sometimes the roads too. There never were any thunderstorms at all though in spite of the tropic location, heavy earth heating under that sun and location in the trade winds path that only served to add more moisture and wind energy to the equation. Then in 1981, I think it was, there was a true gully-washer when it rained 10 inches in 12 hours (or maybe it was 12 inches in 10 hours... I forget). Not only did this wash away all the soil, but it washed out roads all over the island, undercutting them to a depth of 4 feet in some places. Even four wheel drive vehicles could not pass and the only way to get anywhere until the bulldozers cleared new paths was to "go rural" (I can't think of the word I'm looking for... it is not rural) and make your own path through the adjacent terrain. That night I was sitting in the bar when everybody started hearing strange sounds outside. A few people went outside to investigate and returned with the story that there was lightning and thunder going on outside. We all went out to watch the show and some of the older local people were saying that the last time there had been any lightning or thunder on (island name) was 11 years earlier. My guess is that it probably happened in conjunction with the El Nino weather cycle, which affects weather worldwide and not just in the US. This same severe flooding repeated again the following year, but after that I never did see it again (other than the yearly mini floods) in my remaining 11 years on the island (it was probably due again if it followed an 11 year cycle).

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 2:29 pm

I keep hoping for a thunder storm, even if only to kill this horrible sunny weather lol.

I also love rain and wind and grey overcast skies.

I don't like too much sunshine.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 2:38 pm

bumble wrote:
I keep hoping for a thunder storm, even if only to kill this horrible sunny weather lol.

I also love rain and wind and grey overcast skies.

I don't like too much sunshine.

seconded

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 3:26 pm

And this is why I love Florida. It's always sunny during the early morning, but towards the afternoon these huge cumulus clouds always start building up and right before sunset there's always lightning somewhere on the horizon, usually in multiple places all around. Combine that with the water and there's just nothing like it. Man, I can't wait until June. :)

Grazia

30 Apr 2011, 6:00 pm

Hate the headache I get just prior to a proper storm, but love the thrill of the storm itself. As they're a rare treat here, I try to go outside and stand in the downpour getting soaked to the skin. I don't understand why the thunder doesn't bother me :? Apparantly I put myself at risk of being struck by lightening. Fortunately Lightening has had as much success at hitting me as I had of hitting the ball in a rounders match.

Anie

30 Apr 2011, 6:39 pm

draelynn wrote:
I love that negative ion rush as a huge thunderstorm barrels in. The bigger and nastier the storm the bigger the rush. And it's not a fear or adrenaline rush. I know both of those things very well. As poor as I am at connecting to humans, I've always felt I can connect better to nature.

Jealous about the tornado siting! I've always wanted to see one.

This! So much this!! !!

kepheru
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2011, 6:51 pm

When I was a kid I used to meltdown during storms. I would fall asleep with my hands clasped to my ears, but now I like them. I love anytime it rains actually, regardless of whether or not it's a storm.

klikmaus

30 Apr 2011, 7:18 pm

I LOVE thunderstorms... particularly late afternoon ones that last through the evening. I grew up in West Texas where these are the norm throughout the spring (or at least they were, Texas has been in drought status for waaaaaay to long). I seem to feel more "alive" during a thunderstorm.... Full of energy! Tornadoes don't bother me, I tend to be a bit of a thrill seeker to an extent (BMX jumping, flying, going fast....) I'm in Southern California now, not very many thinderstorms :( Strangely enough though, I still get slightly unnerved when my head gets wet. It's one thing bathing or taking a shower but being in the rain without a hat really bothers me. This COULD be due to excessive stimuli but with as rare as rain is here, it might be a long time before I have the opportunity to subject myself to "getting rained on" and concluding WHY it's so uncomfortable.....

What we DO have here are EARTHQUAKES and those scare the bejesus out of me! I do NOT LIKE IT when the ground moves!